Backpacking as a couple we stayed at Beaches Backpackers for one night in early Feb 2012. We paid $22 p/n each for an eight bed a/c dorm bed. The dorm had a small balcony and en suite bathroom and the price included free breakfast. We would not recommend staying here, it was one of the worst places we've stayed in Australia and there has to be better in Airlie (we've heard good things about Nomads).
We arrived and were given 2 sets of keys to our dorm, neither of which worked properly (they must have been copies of copies) which meant we spent the first 15mins of our stay just trying to get into the room with the people inside wondering what the hell was going on. Out wasn't a big deal but it wasn't a great start - we mentioned it to the lady on the desk and she didn't seem bothered.
The room itself was clean and spacious, with reading lights on the wall between each bunk bed meaning that if one person wanted to read, the while room didn't need to be lit up. However, the a/c wasn't strong enough to cool the whole room which meant everybody was roasting, and the bar downstairs played live music until gone midnight which meant no sleep - all everyone in the dorm wanted was a good night's sleep before going off on their respective boat trips in the morning! As for the bathroom, the en suite door didn't close properly and the tap in there dripped all night.
The kitchen was the worst we've seen anywhere in Australia. It was filthy. There were dirty dishes lying around, the work surfaces were uncleaned, the sink was full of dishes, food and dirty water and was presumably blocked. Trying to cook in there was pretty grim. Whilst we know that the staff don't make the place dirty, they have to come up with a system that ensures that the guests who want to cook food in a clean and hygienic environment actually can.
As the free breakfast was based out of the kitchen it was a predictably chaotic affair with cereal everywhere and only one working toaster to provide toast for all of the guests - ridiculous.
Have a look elsewhere in Airlie as this place isn't worth the money that you pay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A perfect location, affordable accommodation, friendly staff and an in-house bar with nightly entertainment makes Beaches the best place to stay in Airlie. Free wi-fi is available ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Beaches Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Airlie Beach Hotel Airlie Beach
- South Beach Beaches
- Beaches Backpackers Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands