I've stayed at the Backpackers by the Bay in 2007 and remembered it as a friendly hostel with a more laid back approach. I don't like party hostels, so I came back. We had a double room with direct pool access, which was quite nice. A fan cools you by day, the aircon only works at night,but that's still enough. The facilities are generally clean and well maintained, but the whole hostel could need a thorough cleanup or even more a renovation in some parts. It seemed to me that nothing has been done in the last five years. Also the wifi is limited (only one hour is free), and a fee applies for the single internet PC available, aswell as for the pool table. On the other hand there is a licensed bar with a cozy seating area nearby the pool, and the staff is very helpful. We could leave our luggage there while going on a sailing trip (fee applies...) and were welcome to stay on the premises and use the showers as we returned, even though we didn't stay overnight but had to wait only for the greyhound bus. The hostel is quite animal friendly. Gekkos and Grasshoppers invaded the common areas by night, and green ants do live around the pool, but I have no problem with a little nature as long as it stays out of my room. All in all still highly recommended if you need a relaxing base fir your Whitsundays trip (which can be booked through the hostel btw).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 400 metres from the main street, on the top of a small hill, Backpackers By The Bay has awesome ocean views and offers a very social, warm and relaxed atmosphere. Accommodation is available in four share rooms, one 8 share and doubles. Linen is provided and all rooms are serviced daily. Airconditioning is included during the warmer months (mid Sept to mid May) The hostel has a saltwater swimming pool which is surrounded by hammocks, sun-lounges and palm trees as well as a huge sunbaking deck. A fully equipped kitchen with crockery, cutlery and utensils is provided, as is a laundry. The games room has internet access and pool table. Each night, during 'happy hour' the staff hold social activities to help guests meet each other - these include: *Team trivia competitions with the winners receiving a bottle of champagne. * Wii Sports competitions including Bowling, Tennis, Golf, Baseball and Boxing * Killer Pool comps After all the fun and games, relax and watch a movie on the ONLY outdoor cinema in Airlie Beach (Sunday and Tuesday nights) With the best local knowledge of all the tours in the Whitsundays we can help you choose the best trip for your needs. By the Bay is not affiliated with any tour opperators so we don't force any boat on you. We give you all the info and let YOU pick. We also offer a free nights accommodation and free luggage storage with every overnight sailing tour booked with us The friendly and helpful staff look forward to meeting you! *FREE Courtesy bus service meeting all coaches(between 7am-7:30pm). *FREE Tea and Coffee *FREE Wii Sports game *FREE quiz for a bottle of champagne every night! *FREE hammocks, sunlounges and BBQ use *FREE accommodation and storage (with every overnight trip booked) *FREE linen supplied to all beds *FREE unbiased tour advice- often at standby or discounted prices *FREE Fully equipped kitchen - all cutlery, crockery, pots and pans provided at no charge!!! *FREE Off street parking *FREE WiFi available, two hours on arrival ($4 per 24 hour login logout) *Laundry room with washers, dryer, ironing board and iron *Lounge/TV room with wet weather movie days organized *All rooms serviced daily *Lending library *Safe and secure 24 hour access ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Backpackers by the Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Backpackers By The Bay Hotel Airlie Beach
- Backpackers By The Bay Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands