“Cosy, comfortable hostel”

Backpackers by the Bay
Newport, United Kingdom
“Cosy, comfortable hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Really enjoyed my 3 night stay at Backpackers by the Bay. I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm, which was so cosy with the wooden furniture. The bathrooms were fairly well maintained and there were always showers available whenever I wanted. The kitchen was fine and the complimentary tea and coffee was much appreciated, though a little milk wouldn't have gone a miss.

The location is perfect, it is only a 5 minute walk into the main street area of Airlie Beach, so it is very quiet and actually this is the nearest hostel to the bus drop off, though the hostel does provide a pick up/drop off service to meet all Greyhound buses.

Would definitely recommend this hostel to others. Whilst in AB, make sure you visit the Whitsundays on a Ocean Rafting day trip, so much fun!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Backpackers by the Bay is a small, quiet hostel located on the eastern edge of town, over a little hill about 10 minutes walk from Airlie Beach's main drag. I did find this walk back and forth a little annoying (given how small the town is otherwise), but it was good to be away from all the roadworks going on on the main street.

The hostel was really quiet when I was there, meaning I got a 4-person dorm to myself all three nights, so this definitely positively impacted my trip. The hostel has a nice little pool and laundry facilities. The kitchen has what you need and the fridge has a communal food shelf meaning there are usually some basic items around you can help yourself to.

The negative points I'd associate with the place are: although free pickup is offered from the very nearby bus station, you have to make your own way from the much further ferry port (about 1.5km). The reception staff didn't seem as knowledgeable as I'd expect when asking for advice on what to do in town. Although you get 1 hour of free wifi when you check in, that's a one time offer - any subsequent nights you have to pay $2.50 per half hour (expensive compared to the average in Airlie, where you can get internet access for free at some of the travel agents). Also, the hostel advertised opportunities to meet other guests such as daily quizzes and movie nights - I didn't see any quizzes while I was there and the movies didn't get an audience (perhaps all this was a result of it being so quiet).

Overall, I'd recommend this hostel to people who value quiet over location and atmosphere. If I went back to Airlie as a solo travel, I'd stay in one of the livelier places in the centre of town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here, the hostel is a bit of a walk from the Main Street (shute harbour rd) (about 10 mins) where all of the other hostels are but the rooms in the hostel make up for this, our room was a double and very clean felt like home! The bathroom areas are separate for male and female and were nice and cleaned daily! Our bins in our room were changed daily which was nice as we haven't known any other hostel to do that! The reception staff were nice and helpful, the kitchen was ok but not as clean as I would have liked when we went to make cereal there were ants in the bowls and cupboards so not very nice to face before you want breakfast but anyway apart from that it was all good! We loved our time in airlie beach :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Being the first time in a hostel I was very impressed my stay at BBB. All of the staff were really friendly, particularly Issy, who has great interpersonal skills and was only too happy to help me with a number of requests. All of the staff hang around outside normal hours and into the night and socialise with quests which was really impressive.

They do have a bus that collects you from the greyhound bus stop (I assume you need to book it with them via email) but it is only a 5-7 min walk from there... no big hills or anything... When leaving they do offer to drop you off at the greyhound bus stop which again is great service! The walking entry is off the Shute road which is actually better than wandering around to Hermitage road.

The overall cleanliness was fantastic considering it is a hostel, there is always a groundskeeper wandering around cleaning up or doing something. The kitchen was always clean, the room was particularly clean and the communal bathroom was ok.

The hostel wasn't overly busy and minimal people in the room (max 4, which I liked... on most occasions it was just me!). It is located out of the town centre which is really only a very short stroll (5-10 min depending where in town you want to get to.. 10 min walk to lagoon). It seemed that because of its location it was a bit quieter than the rest of the hostels which I liked. I ldid have a look at the main hostel in town and it was full of people wandering around and also 8 people to a dorm, some people might like that but I preferred to stay a little out of town and had the benefit of not being swamped by people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mullumbimby, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Everything I have to say about my stay at Backpackers By the Bay is positive. The rooms were clean, light and open, and there were great bathroom, kitchen, laundry and pool facilities. It was close to town- a five minute walk- and far enough away from the centre that you're away from all the other tourist craziness. If you're looking for a cheap stay, with good value, then this is the place to be. The standout was the staff and service- they were friendly, helpful, and made our stay enjoyable and easy. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hostel was absolutely fantastic! I stayed here for a week with 11 of my friends and we didn't want to leave. It is super cheap and you get much more than you expect. The rooms are clean and light and airy and have a fan and air-conditioning. We had no trouble sleeping at all. The hotel is really close to the centre of Airlie, only about a three minute walk, yet it is also far enough out that it's more relaxed than many of the other places in Airlie Beach. The pool is amazing and the facilities are all good. Best of all were the staff who were so so so nice, helpful, relaxed and fun. They are just generally awesome people and my friends and I became pretty good friends with them in our short stay. For a few of my friends this was their first time staying in a hostel and it made them realise that they are not scary places. We all loved it here and would definetely stay again and recommend it to others!

Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

we really enjoyed our stay at Backpackers by the bay. They came and pick us up at the GreyHound coach station, no need to walk at all, even if it's just 10 minutes away (everybody else had to walk eh eh). The staff greeted us with a massive smile and made us feel at home straight away. we did not need to wait to check in .
All the dorm are 4 bed dorm only, no overcroweded room ! There are no lockers but there are some shelves to organise your stuff. It's a big enough room with a big window so very bright. The mattresses and linen would need to get changed though ( I had holes in my sheet), and I did not like the decoration on the wall. I felt like I was in a 6 year old bedroom (painted of mermaids, divers , shells and fish).
But the most important is that it was nice a quiet. no noise from the street or the other guests. Everybody was very considerate and easy going. It was like a big flatshare more than a backpackers where everybody cleans and picks up after themsleves.

The share bathroom was clean. there is a swimming pool (clean every day), tour desk (get a free night stay in the hostel and free luggage storage if you book a 2 days 1 night boat trip to the Whitsunday through them !!! ), pool table, lots of movies to watch, quiz every day at 7pm to win a bottle of champagne, hammocks, waching machines... all you need really.

The location is not too bad either. It's not right in the city centre but it's a short distance walk so easy to reach the shops, bars and restaurants .
Very good value for money ! worth every penny . I would defnitely stay there again

1 Thank karendurst