“Surprisingly great”

Magnums Airlie Beach
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked my stay in a blind rush on the morning of my flight, using a discount last-minute website. No mention on the site of the word 'backpacker', and I presumed I had booked an apartment for a slash-down price.
Was surprised to find that I had booked a stay at the biggest backpacker hostel I've ever seen. My 'apartment' was a small, but perfectly functional room, and the shared bathroom was just outside. The sheets were clean, and the air con worked, as did the fridge and the TV, not that I used any of them.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and the bar and live music were awesome.
Had an excellent time, and, while I felt pretty old in comparison with the other guests, I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Magnums A, Manager at Magnums Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for your great review!
We are so happy to hear you found us "surprisingly great"!
Although we are a large backpacker operation we also pride ourselves on being a fantastic budget accommodation alternative offering affordable and comfortable private rooms for our guests.
We would love to welcome you back to Magnums!!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed in a private room with shared bathroom facilities two weeks ago on a Saturday night. My sister and her partner were in another room. My room felt safe the whole time. I had a tv , fridge and air con, and the bathroom facilities were within 10 metres of my room. I felt safe walking home at night through the resort.. And for the price of about $54 for the night, well worth it.. And central to everything.

Only con, was checking in. Was very busy as only two staff, and they are not only checking people in. But also advising tourists regarding tours etc.. I was happy to wait.. U also have to give them either your licence or bank card of some sort for security.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your taking the time to review our resort.
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Magnums.
Magnums strive to provide excellent customer service - we have listened to your comments regarding only having 2 staff at reception and have increased this to 3 staff in busy periods.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here in February, had 1 night before our Whitsundays trip and was planning to book 1 night after.
The room we were giving was small and hot, the fan was in front of the light so it was like a strobe party when the fan was on and gave us both a headache! We couldnt pick up the wifi and eventually realised thew only place you can get it is in the outdoor bbq area where we got bitten to death, the fact it was a rainforesty type setting meant it was crawling with mozzies and bugs, including the toilets and kitchen.
We still wasn't sure whether to rebook for after our trip but decided to store our bags in the 'Secure luggage storage' and decide when we got back.
We got back and was informed we couldnt pick our bags up until 2pm as the storage opens hourly. In the meantime my girlfriend went to the toilet and to her horror found her bag broken into and dumped in one of the toilet cubicles. We had her ipod, cash and several other items stolen!!! Someone must have walked straight into the storage rooms and walked out with it without challenge.
We went straight to reception and they would not do nothing at all until we spoke to a manager. Eventually she came around and showed no sympathy saying it never happens and not their fault. They refused to ask staff if they saw anything and they had no cctv or any security, despite labelling their storage as a secure place.
She eventually offered us free use of the computers as an apology. She must have been joking because they were free anyway!! They would not refund our stay or offer us a free night (not that we would have taken it).
Our stay here has left us so upset and really tarnished what would have been a fantastic whitsundays adventure (the area is amazing and can really recommend the Boomerang trip, just stay elsewhere).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Magnums A, Manager at Magnums Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We genuinely appreciate ALL feed back - thank you.
We do recall your stay with us and our file notes and memory differs greatly from your account of your stay.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed with Magnums recently after our Whitsundays trip on the Anaconda III (which was awesome). We stayed for one night in a double as it was only $26 each, the room was basic but clean. The accommodation is situated in a lovely gardens with the river running trough.

There were toilets and shower facilities right next door and the shower was amazing (seriously one of the best showers we've had traveling around Australia!). The Kitchen facilities were very clean and the pizza at 'Mamas boys' was delicious and buy one get one free!!. The WiFi was pretty good which seems to be rare in Australia.

We didn't stay here on a party night (there is a club on site) but there was live music which was really good. The staff at reception were very helpful and friendly.

We couldn't fault our stay - much nicer than Nomads where we stayed before the boat trip.

Room Tip: Book a double for not much more!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review!
We pride ourselves on our customer service - we do strive to be the friendliest backpackers in Australia.
Enjoy the rest of your trip in Australia!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My bf and I booked a private room for three and we were plesantly suprised! The other backpackers along the main street were much older and did not have the same range of facilities. This hostel has beer garden, pub, nightclub, extensive tour booking center and a diner on the same premisis. However, a word of warning- DO NOT EAT AT THE DINER! The staff were so lovely but this does not make up for the poor quality of the food, nor the inflated prices. I did notice the diner 'Mammas Boys' was for sale, perhaps this has something to do with it?

The beer garden/ pub section of the hostel had live music every night and a great atmosphere. Cheap drinks at happy hour from 4pm until 8pm! On Friday and Saturday night they open a night club and it really goes off. Suprisingly, we could not hear much of the noise from our room, which was the closest of the private rooms to the entertainment area. BONUS!

The private rooms have clean sheets, a bar fridge, crockery, air con and a fan. The balcony of the room (Room number 103) overlooked a beautiful flowing creek, which was lovely to wake up to. The shower and toilet facilities were cleaned daily and were in good condition. Would benifit from adding a full length mirror. At only $50 per night for the room, I was totally impressed!

My only criticism of the staff is that they seemed reluctant to book us onto the tour and the return transfer on our first night. They told us that there would be heaps of room on the tour and not to worry about booking until the night before. So we waited and were then told that ALL the day tours have SOLD OUT. This left us with no option except to wait and hope that a few people cancelled in the morning. Luckily they did. However, we were forced to go on a more expensive tour (by $50 each) as the tour we were originally going to book remained sold out. I was pretty disapointed but at the time remained positive as at least we were able to go on SOMETHING. I think that the staff just didnt want to bother with the paperwork, which is a shame since I found all other interactions with staff very plesant and positive. I will phone them directly to see if there is anything that can be done as this is just lazy in my opinion.

Overall, an excellent stay! Thank you Magnums!

Room Tip: Private room #103 had the creek view which was an unexpected delight! Also this added privacy- yay!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Magnums A, Guest Relations Manager at Magnums Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

So sorry about the Diner - this restaurant is not owned or operated by Magnums but we appreciate the feedback and will pass on your comments.

WE are pleased you enjoyed our facilities, it really is a bit special staying in amongst the trees and our Housekeeping staff take great pride in their way work so we love to be able to give them positive feedback – makes it all worthwhile.

WE are also proud of our team on the front desk - we are blessed with a group of professional friendly ‘gals’ who really know their stuff! They are all local and are all passionate about the Whitsundays and matching up the right trip with the right clients. We have looked into your concerns and it would seem our team could not guarantee the departures you were interested in - I can assure you they would have been thrilled to book it if possible. We are sorry this caused you concern.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely thoughts on ‘our place’ - we wish you safe onward travels.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Although they claim on their website that they have tent sites, I strongly disagree. What they do have is a backyard with a lawn and they charge for you to set up your tent there. It is a possibility, one could camp in the lawn. However, you cannot have your car with you. You have to park off the street or pay for parking near the Lagoon. Having said that, you would expect camping to be cheap but it is not. It costs $22 per couple per night. Just before checking in (we had booked online and imagined it would be a camping ground), my husband and I changed our minds and we found a very good camping ground with pool, laundry, good facilities for $25 per couple per night. So in my opinion, Magnums is definitely not to be considered as an opition for camping.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carlinha_matta
Magnums A, Guest Relations Manager at Magnums Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Hello Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to send in this review - however we are all slightly confused.
Magnums camping grounds are…YES as you say a grass area. We have private communal bathrooms for these camp sites (both male and female), 2 communal kitchens, TV room, laundry and free WiFi – all available to our campers. Car parking is currently free and at the rear of the property. (This may change as the whole main street is undergoing a major refurbishment and this necessitates us all to be patient until it is finished.)
You mentioned you thought we were expensive? $11.00 per person? WE would be genuinely interested to know what you think would be fair.

We wish you safe onward travels and hope you return to Airlie once our beautiful little town is at its best - not to long now!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

During my stay at magnums I had to move rooms 3 times due to bed bugs, the staff were helpful but obviously used to dealing with this problem. in the 3rd room I also had my laptop and ipod stolen from next to my bed while I was sleeping, two guys had come into the room which was locked and stole them and got away over the broken fence behind the building which is still not fixed 3 months later.While I was there I spoke to many other backpackers staying there who told me that the room keys didn't only fit one room. I understand that they have a lot of people going through and moving between boats etc, but I feel that the level of cleanliness could definitely be improved and maybe make people more aware of the problem of bedbugs so they don't put their bags on the beds.and also the fact that they have signs saying about security and yet they are actually just at the bar. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, but the YHA up the road is pretty good.

Room Tip: choose a room in another hostel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank worldtraveler2293
Magnums A, Guest Relations Manager at Magnums Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hello reviewer,

TITLE: SHAME ON DISHONEST REVEIWS

You have left us wondering why your review is so full of negatives and I mean FULL! We find it difficult to believe your review is for the good of other travellers and for some reason it may have been written for another agenda. Your review is far from truthful and how on earth would you know a fence has not been fixed three months later? (again not true), Security have their own office within the backpackers right next to the luggage storage so again you have made up information to share which is actually a lie. I guess your review is supposed to be very damaging to our business whilst supporting others however readers can generally see through this new tactic being used, it is shameful! We are proud operators of Airlie’s Best Backpackers accommodation and we won an award to prove it - now that is the truth!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airlie Beach
#45 of 56 in Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach YHA
Airlie Beach YHA
#30 of 56 in Airlie Beach

Been to Magnums Airlie Beach? Share your experiences!