I recently stayed at Magnums with a friend one night before our sail trip in an 8 bed dorm. Everything was fine and my impression of the place was quite good as the rooms seemed well maintained and clean for a backpackers with a handy free wifi area. After our sailing trip we were to stay one more night before our outbound flight and decided to pay that little extra to get a twin room as we had been sharing with others the last few days and just wanted our space. We get our twin room and all seems good until while i lay on the bottom bunk I notice a bug on the bottom of the top bunk mattress. I work in a hotel and know about bed bugs. I killed the bug and was 99% sure it was a bed bug so we looked for more. After lifting the mattress and spotting another one it was confirmed that there were definitely bed bugs. We packed all our things and headed to reception. As it was late we had to speak to security for a room move. The guy seemed completely unsurprised and non apologetic that we had come across this problem so I accepted the room move and decided to speak to someone in the morning. We had a flight the next morning and our sleep was cut down significantly due to our experience. The next morning I approach the reception and all they do to compensate was give us a few dollars to use the dryer as this is supposed to kill any bugs. I was shocked that this did not appear to be a serious problem to them and they said they have a no refund policy so I would not get anything back from the money I spent. I was not trying to get money back for nothing, it was more a situation of courtesy and the right thing to do. If you pay for a service and it is not delivered especially in this case then you should always be entitled to a refund. All in all the place in general is quite nice with a bar, several food outlets close by and a short walk to the port to catch your sail but the service and way they responded to the bed bugs for me was terrible. I hope they are doing what's necessary to make that room sellable again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Whitsundays!!Magnums is a tropical oasis in the middle of the excitement of Airlie Beach. Relax in our beautiful settings or take the short stroll to the famous Airlie Beach Lagoon, Abel Point Marina or Port of Airlie. Magnums is an “over 18 years only” budget holiday retreat in the heart of the beautiful Whitsundays.No need for a cab - Magnums is within walking distance of all the fantastic restaurants, pubs and nightclubs Airlie beach has to offer.Our affordable accommodation styles include dorm rooms, deluxe cabins and private rooms which are all surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. All of our rooms have air-conditioning and ceiling fans for your comfort. Professionally cleaned linen is provided and our rooms are cleaned daily by our friendly in-house housekeeping team. Magnums’ facilities include a fully equipped shared kitchen and undercover eating area, coin operated washing machines in our laundry, free security deposit service for your security and a free WiFi area, all for your convenience.Our new kitchen/recreation room is now open! We have a 51 inch Plasma TV, games and free Wifi - so it is the perfect indoor entertainment area for your enjoyment. Get some friends together or make some new ones and enjoy a game of volleyball on our sun-filled volleyball court.Want to venture out on a daytrip or an overnight sailing adventure and discover what the Whitsundays has to offer? Magnums has a fully accredited tour desk within our reception area with a large range of tours and activities at very competitive prices. Come and discover Magnums – you will be surprised! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Magnums Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnums Backpackers Hotel Airlie Beach
- Magnums Backpackers Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands