“Bed Bugs Bed Bugs Bed Bugs”

Magnums Backpackers
leeds
“Bed Bugs Bed Bugs Bed Bugs”
Reviewed February 5, 2008

wELL ALL I CAN SAY IS DO NOT STAY HERE! Unless you want to be covered in hundreds of bites from Bed Bugs steer clear- the staff were no help merely gave me 3 dollars to wash all my clothes - being a girl with a huge backpack this did not cover costs at all! I am now left with horrid itchy red bites and they are not leaving!

Stayed January 2008

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Stayed here as part of my Whitsundays Trip in Sept 2004.

Loved the place, turned up in Airlie on the 8am bus from Hervey Bay and was able to check into my room straight away without a problem,

Decent Sized Dorms in decent enough condition, considering my room cost £7 for the night and can't really be faulted. Clean as any other hostel I've stayed in and what you would expect on the East Coast.

Facilties are open to all in the site, including a massive open air bar area, with plenty of food option, plenty of cheap drinks offers and an on site night club with various themed nights, decent sized laundry on site which is very important if you have just been to Frasier Island and again decently priced.

If I had another night in Airlie after my whitsundays trip (which I wish I had) I would have definatly stayed here again!

• Liked — Hostel and One of the towns best bar/club in one!
  • Disliked — Leaving so soon
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled solo
1 Thank Phil1978
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2007

This hostel was fantastic. We stayed in a twin room which had a bunk bed (a little creaky), air conditioning and a fridge in it! We had to share a bathroom with 2 other cabins but that was fine, I don't think I ever had to wait, and we were there for 10 nights! The hostel is set in a rainforest and is very comfortable. The bar is out the front and we couldn't hear it from our room. The bar is a really good place to sit down, day or night and they have live music at night time and sometimes during the day. Fabulous hostel for a great price! $52 a night!!

• Liked — Air Conditioning!
  • Disliked — Kitchen or lack of.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
scotland
Reviewed August 20, 2007

we stayed in airlie beach for 3 weeks trying to get work but couldn't get any ,stayed in a few hostels in airlie and magnums was the BEST HOSTEL, we had a 8 bed dorm and met great people it was a total party hostel especially our room so if you like to party and get no sleep magnums is the place to be!!! ou roomies was wicked!! i would recommend to any backpacker that likes partying!!!

• Liked — the party atmosphere
  • Disliked — 6ft pythons
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank jkc_7
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I had a great time at Magnums. We stayed there for 2 nights inbetween a sail of the whitsunday islands. Magnums was very helpful in booking out sailing trip and stored our luggage for free while we were on the boat. They have a place to eat, bar (with live music) and night club all on site. I would definitely recommend it for backpackers. It's not luxury but great value.

• Liked — all the ammenities
  • Disliked — the live music was a bit loud if you wanted to go to sleep early
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
London UK
Reviewed March 10, 2007

I stayed here in 2005 - the accommodation was thrown in with a Whitsundays sailing trip and as I was only here for one night I didn't take time to research the place - big mistake!!!!!

The girl who checked me in was rude and unfriendly and clearly couldn't give a monkeys about her job.

When I arrived I was allocated a bunk in an 8 bed dorm. Now I've stayed in hostels and dorms all over the world and I'm not a fussy person at all but I could not believe how disgusting this place is!!!!! I was a solo female traveller and was allocated a dorm shared with 7 men - I can barely begin to describe how revolting it was in there. Resting on what I assumed was my bed (the only one with no sheets or pillow) was a pair of freshly and heavily skidmarked underpants - delightful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole room absolutely REEKED of vomit and was full of overflowing ashtrays, old beer cans and bottles. The bathroom was absolutely filthy with a sink full of beard leftovers, strewn with empty hair gel, shaving gel and deodorant cans. No shower curtain and no blinds at the window!!!!!!! I won't even attempt to describe the toilet. Needless to say there wasn't any toilet paper to be seen which might help explain the fragrant underpants on my bed!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't think the place had been cleaned in weeks. It was so skanky I couldn't even contemplate sleeping in there so went back to the front desk to see if there was any way I could go in a dorm with some girls.

Back at reception a different girl was working and she was actually very helpful. I explained that I really couldn't spend a night in that horrendous stinking dorm and she apologised profusely and tried to find me a girl's dorm - but to no avail. Then luckily she managed to find a last minute cancellation and put me in a double room for no extra charge. The room was reasonably clean and thankfully bedbug free (a big problem in the dorms) - the showers in that block were clean and I ended up having a reasonably good night's sleep.

Anyway my advice is: if you absolutely have to stay at Magnums and you can get a double room then you might be OK but I would seriously avoid the dorms - personally I would never stay here again - there are much better choices in Airlie Beach than this.

• Liked — The one helpful staff member
  • Disliked — I didn't like anything about this place
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled solo
2 Thank SoloTravelGal

Travelers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

vamcouver
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We stayed at Magnums as part of a pre paid package. ( we were there for the Whitsunday boat trip)

There were 4 of us and we shared a dorm with abut 8 other people. It was boiling, but we could only have the air-con on every few hours. Oh and they didn't have enough pillows!

If you like a good nights sleep this is not the place for you, as the bar is next to many of the rooms. If you want to cook for yourself, then good luck!

The worst part was the furry friends who shared our accommodation. Lesson to be learnt about leaving pizza in your room, which one idiot did. When the mouse jumped out of the box, I was quite shocked, he wasn't too bothered and carried on eating his leaft overs. Oh the same guy had a chocolate advent calendar which 2 mice loved, they were in and out of the windows nibbling the yummy chocolate!

When we mentioned this to the quite friendly staff, they really couldn't give a rats [---]! I have since spoken to other travellers who had the same experiences.

Yes it's cheap, but if you have a choice don't stay here. Unless you can upgrade to a private double, which were away from the noise and had air-con. Having said that, if you're young and going to be drunk most of the time you won't really notice.

Sorry to be so negative.

• Liked — The mice in our room were very cute
  • Disliked — noise, no pillows, mice.
  • Tips/Secrets — ear plugs