“The Bungalow Backpackers!”

Magnums Backpackers
Darwin, Australia
“The Bungalow Backpackers!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is not a hotel, once you remember that backpacker hostels are not hotels - you will learn to love them! This is probably one of the better designed hostel- with the rainforest at your door, and bungalow style accommodation - it almost makes you forget its a back packers. I stayed here 1 night on a quick drive (30 hours excluding the overnight stop) from Sydney to Cairns, and was not disappointed - my mate and I shared a private room with a bunk - and slept well (which is all you want from a backpackers). They had great entrainment out the front in the open pub area, it seemed quiet enough and was in the heart of Airlie. The price was reasonable as were the facilities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thanks Dajesta9!
Great that you enjoyed staying at our place - we are Airlie’s only custom designed backpackers so we are pleased you noticed the benefits!
30 hours driving? Not good - please take it easy and stay safe.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Loved the design of the hostel being in a rainforest setting. We stayed quite far back in a private room and so far away from the bar so was quiet at night. Bathroom was generally clean but spiders sharing the shower with you was a bit off putting! Our room was clean but smelt very strongly of damp. My chest tightened as I have mild asthma so not great! We also had ants appear around our zipped coolbag, once we moved these to the fridge they soon went and cleaner came and mopped up straight away which was good. Drinks in the bar were quite expensive but good atmosphere. We ate out all the time, tried cooking pasta 1 night and it was a nightmare - really hot kitchgen and rubbish utensils. Other kitchen only had microwaves and no hobs. Needs a revamp with kitchens for backpackers. Luggage very secure, was happy about that!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback Amanda.
Tomorrow our brand new BBQ area gets installed with all new utensils - we love constructive feedback and always re-act!
Watch out for the new website and photos of the new area in a week or so!
Darwin
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We rented one of the cabins for a long weekend. The mattresses are thin and not particularly comfy. I had a very sore back after 2 nights. At about 3 am they turn the sprinklers on and it hits the corrugated iron roof and sides LOUDLY. I bought ear plugs to counter this.
The pros to staying here is the location, right in the midst of everything. The restaurants on site especially Mamma's which have big serving sizes. I would stay here again If I was on a budget.

• Stayed May 2012
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.
We value your feedback regarding our mattresses. We do our best to offer a standard mattress to try to provide the best comfort for all our guests but we do understand that a mattress is a very personal preference and unfortunately we cannot always please everyone.
Our friendly management team are here to help with any issues our guests may have. In regards to your issue with the sprinklers – if this matter was brought to our attention we would have rectified the situation.
Middlesex
Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here for 2 nights and they were the worst nights sleep of my life. I appreciate this is a party hostel and all but it borders on ridiculous. The ensuite shower n toilet just make for more noise. Probably the worst thing about my 8 bed cheap dorm was the horrid smell. Think it came from the bathroom but I can't even put into words just how bad it was - imagine damp, mould and stuffiness mixed with sweat and heat. And no amount of window opening gets rid of it.

It's a shame because the dorm is actually big and has large glass sliding doors which makes it feel light and airy but don't be fooled. I didn't experience any bed bugs luckily. There are some positives - plug sockets next to each bed and free wifi in the seating area outside ( though bring a jacket coz it gets cold and you will get eaten by mosquiotos) other than that the kitchen is constantly infested with ants and I think you'd be better off giving this place a miss. I guess u get what you pay for $19 is v cheap for a dorm so can't complain to much.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank babe_kaz
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Do not avoid at any cost says Magnums!

Sorry to hear you did not sleep well - we have to disagree with you on many points though.

Magnums is the ONLY Airlie Beach Backpackers with on site security to minimise any disruptions to people’s comfort.
Our en-suite bathrooms are very popular - your experience was unique.
We do not consider ourselves to be a party hostel. The hostel is certainly the most central in Airlie Beach and closest to all the shopping and nightlife but it is also the biggest property - the accommodation is well away from the bar activities.
We wish you safe Travels from all the team at Magnums.

Travelers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

London
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We had a three night stay in a private cabin, which was basic but perfecty fine. The jungle setting of the hostel is appealing, as it the free wi fi area which lots of hostels don't have. The private room didn't have it's own bathroom but had a/c and a fridge so generally good facilities. The hostel bar is always busy and a good place for a drink.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our resort.
We are really happy to be providing our guests with what they are telling us they want - thank you for your ‘thumbs up’!
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2012

when i stayed at magnums i stayed for a total of two weeks. i started off in cabin number 73. after about 3 sleepless nights and actually seeing a bedbug crawl from under my pillow i went to reception to complain. they then sent the cleaners to check my room. the cleaners then confirmed that i had bedbugs in my room and several of the beds were infested. when i returned to my room, the other people who were staying in my room asked me why i was cleaning my stuff. i then told them it was because i had just been told that there were bed bugs in the room. to my surprise i then found out that when the cleaners had come to check my room they told all the other people in my room that there were no bed bugs in the room. a blatant lie!!! i was then moved to room 77. i specifically requested the room be checked before i moved in. they assured me it had. then that night i was still getting bitten. in the morning 2 people from room 73 were moved into my new cabin 77 they had not been told to clean there stuff as they were lied to and told there was no bed bugs. i started getting bitten again. i told reception. they made me clean my stuff and move rooms again. then i moved to a dorm room 27 and on the first night of being in the room a bed bug crawled across my chest. i immediately got out of bed at 3 in the morning after scratching all night. i waited at reception all night for it to open. they then told me there were not any bed bugs in the room. i still demanded a refund but did not get one, i just changed hostels. the next day i walked into magnums to meet a friend and they had evacuated everyone from the dorm rooms and were spraying the beds. so they had obviously lied about not having bed bugs. my friend then moved into a private room and started getting bitten. she then moved into a dorm and got absolutely covered. i have been in airlie for a month now and EVERYONE i know that has stayed there in different rooms has gotten bedbugs. i even this morning saw two girls in the laundry having to clean there stuff to rid the bedbugs. i work at one of the local bars. when the bartenders and managers found out i was living in magnums, the first thing they asked me was "got the bed bugs yet?" magnums is a notoriously infested hostel. DO NOT STAY THERE!!

Room Tip: just dont even get a room. stay at base or nomads!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank riohatesmagnums
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We boked for 8 people for a weekin Magnums and we arrived to stay in a 10 dorm tht was fine, apart from the next day we where told we needed to move rooms this then happened every morning we had to check out at 10am to check into a new room which would then not be cleaned or made up till between 2-4pm which means for the whole week we could not sleep in. The staff where the worst I delt with. After explaining that we are sick of changing rooms everyday at 10 and our rooms not being ready as we also has a guy with us who had lost two stone and had two chest infections and needed rest we where told be greatful your been allowed into a room we coould just wait and recheck you in at 2pm. So rude I know work n one of the top rated hostls in Brisbane and I always recommend for guests travelling south DO NOT stay in Magnums. Also would not call there kitchen a kitchen

Room Tip: Stay as far back from the front as the bar is very loud
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns in relation to your recent experience.
It is definately not Magnums policy to move guests on a daily basis so we are a litte puzzled by your review.
When endeavouring to respond to your concerns it is very difficult given that you have not identified the date of your stay or the name of your party - we are unable to substantiate your version of events but would happily investigate your concerns further, please contact me on vkohler@trusteesau.com.au.
May I suggest that in this instance you should have requested to see Management immediately, our management team are passionate about ‘getting things right’