This has been one of the most stressful hotel experiences. Don't choose this hotel is you want peace and privacy. You'll get more peace and privacy booking a room over the beer garden at the local pub.
We booked this hotel several months ago as the final relaxing stay in the Whitsunday's after a week of sailing. We booked with another couple, who actually stayed a night prior to our sailing trip to ensure the hotel was relaxing and peaceful. The management actually wrote down our room requests and said no trouble in getting the rooms on our return.
However, when we booked in on our return, despite our request, we were allocated the noisiest rooms right over the pool and sun lounge area. We were really disappointed. The reception staff claimed that the owners daughter was getting married and our requested rooms were no longer available and these were the only two rooms left. As we discovered later this was not the case, we were just told this to justify their giving us really undesirable rooms. We were thoroughly disappointed but had no choice but to accept these two rooms.
However, it actually got worse. After booking in at about 1pm we noticed that the sun lounge area was blocked off and some event was being arranged. By 2pm the lawn under our balcony was filling with people.....and serious noise. Raucous voices, clinking glasses and cigarette smoke meant that our balcony was no longer peaceful and by 3pm we had anywhere from 70 to 100 people staring into our balcony and room.
We complained to management, but they basically weren't prepared to do anything about it...except offer us a bottle of champagne. They had to be kidding! The rooms they put us in would have been more suitable for people attending the event, not two older couples requiring peace and privacy.This event went on until 6pm until it moved to another part of the resort, where the next group of guest were undoubtedly being disturbed by the noise.
The event took over the sun lounge area so that guests could not use this space, it actually had signs up asking guests to stay out of the area. It also made the pool area very busy, loud and only the very hardy stayed around trying to use the pool.
There is no where in the promotions for this hotel that explain to paying guests that you have to share pool areas ( and virtually your balcony) with large events. In the four nights at this resort there were three events. Totally stressful and unacceptable. The management at this hotel are double dipping. Asking premium rates from guests for rooms and then booking the spaces out to large events.
It just wasn't worth the stress! This holiday was specifically planned to relax and de stress....what a mistake!
Whilst it is a lovely location it just wasn't peaceful or private. The management were totally ineffectual and inefficient.
Having such a bad time has also made me very critical of other failings within the resort. This is a two and half to three star resort asking five star prices. There are no bath robes, there was only enough shampoo for one person. There was no shower gel, only some very pathetic little soaps. The old shampoo bottle was not removed during cleaning. The tiled floors are actually greasy and very slippery when wet. There were no tissues in the bathroom. Very average toiletries all round. No barista coffee available at breakfast, just a help yourself machine that poured out white frothy water with a dash of caffeine.
I will say that the restaurant and pool service staff were very nice and of course the location was very beautiful. However, management has got it really wrong putting events before guests. We will never stay at this resort again...it just wasn't worth the it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Positioned on the absolute ocean front and just a short stroll via seaside boardwalk to the enchanting Airlie Beach resort village; with its relaxed atmosphere and collection of eclectic shops and cafes; lies the Coral Sea Resort. A stroll in the opposite direction crossing a separate boardwalk with the sea below is Abel Point Marina, your direct access to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coral Sea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Sea Hotel Airlie Beach
- Coral Sea Airlie Beach
- Coral Sea Resort Hotel
- Coral Resort Sea
- Coral Sea Resort Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands