“Good location, lovely views but could be so much better”
Review of Coral Sea Resort

Coral Sea Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Airlie Beach
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

It's probably unfair to always compare Aussie resorts to those in Asia but I can't help myself! If places like Coral Sea just took a leaf out of the books of Asian resorts tourism in Oz could be turned around.
We had a spa suite - lovely balcony with spa and hammock overlooking beautiful Whitsunday turquoise waters. Bed and lounge area furnished well but let down by kitchenette and bathroom in need of a refurb.
Breakfast buffet totally substandard - hotel calls it 'tropical' breakfast but with juice from a carton and only melon and pineapple its hardly conjuring up images of the tropics. Bread, cereal and croissants complete the dull picture. For an extra $12 one can upgrade to cooked breakfast. Come on people - for a supposed 'resort' cooked items should be on the buffet. Also one has to pay an extra $4.50 for a decent coffee rather than the tasteless stuff. Again, this is unacceptable.

Pool overlooking the water is lovely but why not offer poolside snacks such as satay sticks, spicy chicken wings etc rather than the high priced run of the mill predictable lunch menu items. If I see another burger, fish n chips and Caesar salad on a menu in Airlie Beach I think I'll scream!
Cocktail menu good but pricey and why not have a happy hour by the pool?
All these things are so obvious, so easy and so popular in Asia. When will Aussie hotels start lifting their game Asia style?
This will be the last time we holiday domestically in Oz, we just can't stand the mediocrity anymore.

4  Thank hubey
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you for your response, to be fair there is many more items on our breakfast menu than you mentioned here. The high cost of labour and high taxes in Australia unfortunately prevents us from giving the drinks away around the pool but most people are content to pay the resonable cost and we also find the price of drinks melows the behaviour so often witnessed when the alcohol is cheap, ensuring everyone can enjoy their stay.

There are newer reviews for Coral Sea Resort

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in room 223, a "Coral Sea Spa Suite" on 18th Sept 2012. We booked the best for the first night of our honeymoon.
The views were absolutely incredible! Spa on the balcony, what a treat...if it actually worked properly, if the tap wasn't damaged and if it didn't have mould around the seal. The shower and toilet had mould around the bases too. I was so shocked at this that I took photos of it. We had to carry our luggage up to the top floor. The rest of the room was fantastic.
Breakfast time...are you serious? We paid AU$320 for 1 night and we don't even get basic bacon and eggs??? We left there shocked! Not even free WIFI.
After driving for a whole day to get there, unfortunately we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you, See 3 comments amazing, spa suites and Please rewind my stay, Same room ?

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights in one of the rooms with a spa on the deck. We didn't want to leave. Staff were friendly and helpful and served the best cocktails I have ever tried!!! If your going to Airlie Beach this is the ONLY place to stay!!!!

1  Thank HeidiH03

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in February this year and I realised within 5 minutes of entering my room I had made a terrible mistake because I had only booked in for 3 nights. I am now planning my return visit to Australia for Feb 2013 and I have to confess my itinerary centres largely around the fact I want to return to the Coral Sea Resort only this time stay for much longer !!

At check in the staff were very polite and efficient and arranged for my luggage to be taken to my room. I had booked a Spa Suite with hammock and hot tub, the view was fabulous, the room and furnishings excellent and all the staff were very friendly, polite and efficient. Room service was prompt and of good quality.

It isn't the cheapest hotel in the area but in my experience cheap does not go hand in hand with quality and if you are after a quality hotel with food to match in an excellent position you have to pay for it.

Well done Coral Sea Resort.

Room Tip: If you can opt for a spa suite, they have basic kitchen facilities so you can prepare a snack or lig...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pa T

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My stay was all I had expected and more at this resort. Good service, friendly staff, great views of the sea. The perfect venue for a wedding. The variety of food for the buffet breakfast was more than adequate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ozpammy
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you, we look forward to welcome your return.

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I just spent 3 nights at this resort as Wedding guests. Our room overlooked the ocean and pool and was situated above the restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We found the room to be spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff were always keen to satisfy any need and most went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We found the breakfast to be more than adequate. We also had dinner in the restaurant one night and the food was delicious and reasonably priced at $49 per head for 2 courses. The resort is within easy walking distance from the town centre but there is also an efficient and reliable taxi service available. Overall a very pleasant experience.

1  Thank kayw49
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Really pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you we look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were thrilled when we checked in even though the reception male staff didn't care to greet us or make any humanly gestures. He did his job by simply handing in the keys and pointing at the room location. The room was superb, as we're the views. We could not fault the place. The disappointment mainly surfaced when we had our breakfast. The breakfast was included in the price but there were very very limited options, and even more limited for somebody who is vegan or dairy allergic. Actually there was nothing except some fruits or juices. There was nil customer service experienced from the restaurant staff...absolutely nil. Our baby vomited while we were eating and we were just met with rude stares..we didn't expect them to help and handle the vomit but they could have offered us some tissues to clean up!
The reception staff and the restaurant staff left a bitterness in our otherwise happy experience with the hotel.
Very bad buffet menu for anyone...very very very poor staff service...will recommend but will warn others to not expect the star service

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Neelsnz
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for you response. Regrettably the very busy breakfast staff were not aware your child had been sick,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airlie Beach
Colonial Palms Motor Inn
Colonial Palms Motor Inn
#2 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Whitsunday Apartments Hamilton Island

Been to Coral Sea Resort? Share your experiences!