“No better way to explore the whitsundays”

Derwent Hunter Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$151.57*
and up
Tallship Sailing and Snorkeling Adventure from...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tall Ship Reef Adventure. Day Sailing on board the Australian legend Derwent Hunter. Whitsunday Islands, Great Barrier Reef. Help sail, snorkell fringing reefs, explore coral atolls of Langford Reef and Bali Hai. Multi award winning for adventure and eco tourism. Departs Airlie Beach.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 7, 2012

What can I say...An incredible way to explore the whitsunday islands.

We were travelling with family, our group consisting of six adults and our two sons aged 14 and 10 years. All with various experiences of ocean sailing (some with none).
The day started with the introduction to the wonderful crew of the Derwent Hunter. Knowledgable and friendly is an understatement.

After a thorough safety talk, we were off and sailing towards our first island stop. It was a beautiful day, blue skies and seas. Plenty of photo opportunities.
The crew Kate & Johnno entertained and encouraged all aboard to help mast the sails. My boys loved helping with this. Morning Tea appeared, which we all enjoyed whilst soaking up the view.

We were fitted with all the neccessary snorkelling gear, goggles, snorkles, stinger suits, and for lazy people like myself, a floating device(noodle). The crew made sure the boys were well fitted with all of the gear, and my younger son was also fitted with a life jacket.

We had literally only arrived a couple of minutes at our first destination, and to our amazement were snorkelling above giant sea turtles. It was realy incredible. I was snorkelling with my youngest son, who yes, can still manage to talk under water.
It felt very safe and peaceful, snorkelling around the islands with our children, and was reassuring to know the crew were checking on our safety and well being at all times.
We continued on to another sandbar and explored the area, viewing a great variety of tropical fish of all colours. Some of our group spotting another sea turtle.

The obliging crew were happy to take snaps for us at any time.

When we re-boarded, we were greeted with a plentiful feast, which we thoroughly enjoyed.
We then headed back to the Port of Airlie, whilst the crew were testing our knowledge of the ocean life we had just encountered. The boys enjoyed having a lesson on steering and sailing the great "Derwent Hunter" by friendly captain Dave.

The only way to explore the whitsundays.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"sea life"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I am working at Travel agency and have tried some trips in Whitsundays.
Derwent Hunter is one of my favourite and the best trips!!

Awesome crews who have great knowledge of the ocean,the environment and sailing.
They took me to 2 excellent snorkelling spots and I saw 3 turtles while I was snorkelling!! All the snorkelling equipments and stinger suit , every thing included!!

Amazing food- They feed us all day long!! You never get hungry.

I really love this beautiful Derwent Hunter :)

Reviewed February 6, 2012

The attraction of sailing on a tall ship is what got me interested. I wasn't particularly interested in the snorkeling however was amazed at the reef once in the water. The chance to help hoisting the sails and to steer the boat was a huge positive for me. The crew was excellent and informative and provided lots of information on the fish we had seen and on the history of the Derwent Hunter.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

My sister and I live in the Whitsundays and as some of our family were visiting we wanted them to have a memorable expereince.
We chose the Derwent Hunter and had the best time. The staff were wonderful and the beautiful sailing ship was comfortable and a real experience. Langford Reef and Bali Hi provided great snorkelling and swimming and to top it off the food was great. There were members of our party who were rather nervous about snorkelling in deep water, so being able to walk from the beach and snorkel in shallow water was great.
Many thanks to the crew for one of the best days I have had in the Whitsundays.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This experience was breathtaking!

I was lucky enough to set sail with the crew on the Derwent Hunter along with 9 other passangers. This small group was perfect. The relaxed feel on the ship was great as we enjoyed 2 and a half hours of fantastic views of some of the Whitsunday islands. During which time the fantastic deck hands told us about all the islands we passed and got us involved in putting up sails.

The snorkeling on Black Island and Langford Island was sensational, and all equipment is included in the price. The only thing you need to purchase are drinks which are at an extreamly reasonable price! ($2 - Water/soft drinks $4 for beer/wine) The food provided for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea was just as good as the view! A buffet of cold meat and salads for lunch and some to die for fresh fruit and cheese plates for afternoon tea.

Oh our way back we were lucky enough to cut the engines and set sail for about 1 and a half hours as the winds picked up! While we were sailing the crew informed us about the different fish that we had identified while snorkeling and the captain gave as a detailed history of the vessal which was extreamly interesting!

This is definatly an experience I would recommend!