“Extremely good location and well run company”

Salty Dog Sea Kayaking - Day Tours
Reviewed December 14, 2013

At the start of our three day solo tour, my wife bust her ankle slipping on wet rocks at the slipway. No fault at all of Salty Dog. Hayley (owner) was very helpful and transported us both to the hospital in Proserpine. She also gave us a lift back to the hostel and spent the whole day with us. I did return for a day trip and had a great introduction to the inner Whitsunday group. Good boats and kit and a great lunch stop with friendly instructor, Suzie. We will be back.

1  Thank Alan K
"small group"
in 6 reviews
"great guide"

Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was fun. Snorkeling didn't work out well - couldn't see much. We went to a beach with the rockiest sand/pebbles ever. Definitely bring thongs with you (in your kayak) because it's super hard to walk on the beach (i.e painful) otherwise.

Really liked that the owners of the place took photos of people whilst kayaking! And put them on Facebook, as opposed to asking for a charge. It was great, the photos looked professional and so nice to have memories of actually being on a kayak - we didn't bring our camera because we didn't want it to get wet - which I think it would likely do. Water was splashing around everywhere in the kayak (probably our 'technique'), though there is a compartment with a special bag you can place items in. To be safe, I'd advise against taking cameras, phones - and really there's no need. THere is also a safe at the place where you rent the kayak/go on the tour for you to leave your stuff.

Maybe because I'm unfit, I found it a little bit tiring! As in, I wanted to stop paddling...but was a great workout.

There was a cheese platter and some poppers. All in all, a nice morning.

My stinger suit smelt really bad. Once I was in the water, it was ok.

Very friendly business owners. I really liked them!

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I am 55 and not super fit but not wimp either and I found this tour tough. To be fair I think it depends on the wind and current and we experienced some unusual conditions. The food was great. The snorkeling with stinger suits just beautiful. We stayed in some stunning locations. The people on the trip including the informative guide were just lovely. I would seriously suggest being quite fit to enjoy this trip to the full.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was a great trip. The weather was perfect. The equipment was very good and the arrangements and catering were spot on. The guide went out of his way to show us different sights and places which made the trip quite special. This was our second trip with Salty Dog and we would definately come back again.

1  Thank Bette R
See more reviews
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hi there
Much as we enjoyed sea kayaking and the beautiful area and Hayley was very friendly and punctual, there were several aspects of the trip that were extremely disappointing.......
1. We were very clearly told at the office before we went NOT to take cameras as the guides would take photos and we could access these. There were no photos taken by the guides and we now have no record of our day.
2. This was advertised as a 'turtle tour' yet the guides never mentioned turtles, where they might be seen or anything whatsoever about them
3. whilst promoted as a snorkeling opportunity, once we arrived at White Rock, the guide was so luke warm about the snorkeling sites virtually no one on our tour took to the water....
4. there was no briefing given at all on what to do in the event of capsize of kayaks in open water
To sum up, we enjoyed the kayaking itself, the guides were pleasant, but the overall trip was very disappointing and not at all what we expected from the advertising

1  Thank janet m