“Good food...maybe a little expensive”

Village Cafe Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #12 of 105 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Diner, Seafood, Australian, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Village Cafe Restaurant & Bar is located just off the main street of Airlie Beach which provides you with a quiet, comfortable and at dinner romantic venue, Located in front of the main walkway to Airlie Central, home to the new Woolworths store. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner, (Kitchen operates 7:30am to 9:30pm daily). Fully licensed .... A wonderful place to sit, relax and enjoy wonderful food, great service and good music. Known for the best Coffee in the Whitsundays and home to the unique "Hot Rock" dinning experience, the highest quality steaks and the best ever seafood. Come for breakfast, back for lunch and again for dinner...... It's the best! & We also offer Icy Rocks, frozen Volcanic Rock serving Boutique Ice Cream ... This is as good as it gets! Come and enjoy our new modern Al fresco deck.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went for breakfast after walking past a few times and were happy with the quality. I had the grilled haloumi cheese with poached eggs and tomatoes and my husband had the 'biggest brekkie - you wont need lunch!'. Both were delicious and my husband really didn't need lunch after! We both ordered coffee's to go with brekkie and it came to about $45. We are used to paying that much so it didn't really shock us that much.

There is construction going on at the moment, but that can be said for pretty much all of Airlie Beach. Worth the visit :)

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We had the Tandoori Chicken which was nice qnd juicy but did not taste anything like real Indian Tandoori. The table was dusty but got cleaned after asking for it. We paid 47 AUD for two dishes and two drinks. Free wifi which did not work.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Was very disappointed with the meals we had at this cafe......... 6 snacks and a child's meal and soft drinks Came to $185.60 wish we had gone to McDonalds instead better value for money, would not recommend anyone to go there unless you want to be ripped off !!!!!!!!

Village_Cafe_Rest, Owner at Village Cafe Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

8RueSebron from Kent in England.... You have wrong restaurant. We do not sell "Snacks" we most certainly do NOT even sell entree's that can amount to anything anywhere near $185.00 for 6!!! This is most ridiculous amount of money I have ever heard of ... better you check what you did order and where you had it ... When you do establish where you ate perhaps you could ask for this comment to be removed. Thank you Lawrence email dine@villagecafe.com.au

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just recently i had been recommended to try out the village cafe as i heard the food was nice. I ordered two sandwhiches off a young lady who was clearly a backpacker, she seemed to struggle to understand our order, a few times she got another backpacker who worked there to help but this girl seemed to know just as little as the first girl. It was a little frustrating but hey you do get that and i am a very patient person. So i proceeded to order our meal, myself and my good friend are visiting from Hamilton Island which is a very very pricey place, we were expecting to come over and get some quality cheaper food unlike Hamitlon. I ordered a a chicken sandwhich with mushrooms carrot cucumber onion and lettuce, my friend ordered a ham cheese mushroom lettuce and carrot sandwhich. Once i was finished ordering the backpacker proceeded to tell me that comes to "$38.00" my jaw dropped, I said to the girl "so the sandwhiches are 19.00 dollars each???" She replied "yes" I replied "it must be an amazing sandwhich," Not thinking much at the time i just let it go and waited for it and i asked her to put the reciept in the bag when we come back to pick it up. (STUPID ME I KNOW WHO PAYS THAT) but i thought maybe it was going to be a huge sandwhich with beautifuly marinated chicken, i dont know i wasnt really thinking. When i picked up the bag there was no have a lovely day or smile (NOTHING) If your going to royally rip someone off at least put a smile on your face.
Anyway i got home and pulled out a not so huge sandwhich and looking through the bag found no reciept I was a little frustrated. Then when unwrapping the sandwhiches we realized we had been charged $38.00 for sandwhiches that i could have done a better job of making at home. I dont know if it was miss communication or whether thats the prices but it sure doesnt seem right. The only conclusion we came to was that the backpacker had charged off each indervidual ingrediant as an extra topping which means each thing i put on the sandwhich would cost around 3 to 4 dollars each. I am really ashamed in myself for actually paying the $38.00. What was i thinking. But your cafe ought to be ashamed not me I live on Hamilton Island and it is extreamly expensive there but you wouldnt expect it in the real world not when its not even quality food. Will never eat here again nor will i recommend the place, and ill be giving my friend who recommended you a stern talking to.

B_Rony. I am pleased to hear you were recommended to try out our restaurant on the basis that it is a good place. It sure is.... We do offer six set sandwiches for our customers to choose from .. these are very popular and contain exciting ingredients and offer good value for money.

If I am reading your email correctly you have elected to make your own sandwich ... this I have to say is not something we actively market or indeed have many requests for because the sandwiches we do offer are so incredibly popular. However we are here to serve and if you wish to go down the make your own route who are we to say no? We always advise the cost and suggest you select one from our menu instead.

Lets now talk about 38.00 dollars, I have just stood at the till and rung up the same two sandwiches on the make your own basis the first one came to $14.30 and the second your friends $13.15. I do not understand where the 38.00 dollars came from - did you order drinks you may have not deducted from the price?

If you would like to email me the receipt you say you have I will see what went on .... and get back to you

To cater for all markets we have on the menu "Classic Toasties" (dont have to be toasted) they are jus$9.95 toasted cheese, ham and tomato as one example - FANTASTIC value ...

Send me you receipt please to dine@villagcafe.com.au Thanks!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The idea of cooking your own meat wasn't ideal for us but we thought we would try it. Oh my God were we glad we did. This restaurant did the most amazing food. The steak we had was delicious and the service was excellent. They even come to the table and show you how to use the hot rocks. We went back 3 times within the 4 days we spent there trying different items from the menu. All were faultless. The steak, the chicken satay and the lunchtime menu were so good. Wish I had a hot rock at home. Loved the concept, loved the food and loved the atmosphere of the live music.This restaurant is set back in a small arcade area and not directly on the main street so look out for it if your going to Airlie.

Village_Cafe_Rest, Owner at Village Cafe Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Lisa T, thank you so much for the feedback 3 times in 4 days ..... it speaks for its self Thank you very much.