“What a desillusion !!!”

Illusions Whitsundays
More attraction details
Owner description: The best day sailing, snorkelling and diving in the Whitsundays. Relax on a 12m catamaran, with space to lounge, and escape the elements too. Perfect for all ages. Visit the beautiful Blue Pearl Bay on Hayman Island, and Langford reef, where you may even get to swim with turtles. We might not look like an old pirate ship or charge like one, but we do offer more sailing and snorkelling time than most, and we charge much less. Small numbers too mean plenty of space to sit or lie down.
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What a desillusion !!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had planned our stay in Airlie Beach 2 months before getting there, and we booked by email with Illusions. In my email I asked what was needed to confirm the booking, and they replied that my booking was confirmed for November 10 and nothing specific was needed (ie no upfront payment).
One week before the trip they sent me an email to know in which hotel I would be staying to plan a pick-up. I replied and asked what time would be the pick-up.
The day before the trip, I tried to reach them several times to know at what time I should expect them but no answer. I asked my hotel if they could call them, they let a voice mail but they never called back. In the evening around 7pm I succeeded to join them on their cell phone, I asked for the pick-up, and the girl over the phone checked my name and said that MY trip has been CANCELLED (understand my trip not the trip). I said that it must be a mistake because my trip has been confirmed long ago. But the girl confirmed what she just said, and that I couldn't change anthing, I told them that this behaviour was really miserable if I hadn't called I would have not known, and that knowing that after 7pm means the next day is screwed, if they wanted me to pay before they should have let me know in the first place. But the girl hung up saying sorry.
As a matter of fact, we cannot trust illusions.
Luckily enough, I found a trip agency open on that night which found us a spot on Derwent Hunter, which does almost the same thing in a bigger and nicer boat. (you should compare the websites).

Visited November 2012
1 Thank lelamavoyage
negreta, Owner at Illusions Whitsundays, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies.

From mid last 2012 we were having issues with our telecommunication systems, including mobile phones. And we have had a few cases also were days were overbooked.

What is strange is that we always take a credit card print out for all bookings, and as per your review this was not requested.

I hope that one day if you come back to the Whitsundays you will call me direct, my name is Josef, and I will look after you.
Once again please accept my apology.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Illusions = great day out”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I liked the Illusions day tour and would recommend it as a way to see a couple reef spots in one day, especially if you are short on time. The staff are really friendly and approachable. Josef is funny and easy to chat to. We did an introductory dive ($75 extra) with Naomi which we really enjoyed and was great for complete beginners. After all the instructions were given and brief practice was done, we were underwater for about 30 min getting up close to the coral and the fish. Naomi pointed out some interesting sights along the way (giant clam, clown fish in the anemone, barnacles that close up if you wave your hand in front of them) and she also snapped a bunch of photos/video of us in scuba action! We bought the cd with all the photos/videos for $30. We thought the scuba diving was definitely worth it but if you prefer to stick to snorkelling, there were still some colorful things you could see from the surface. One woman on our tour saw a couple of sea turtles. Lunch was simple (salads, pasta, a chicken leg, fruit) but satisfying. I would recommend that you take a jacket/rain jacket, even in summer. I also recommend that you stay in clothes that you can get wet in. If you go out on a day where the wind speed is high, like we did, you will get wet (and then cold) from the water splashing over the deck, and the jacket helps fend off the breeze. We thought being rocked by the waves was quite fun but if you aren't into that, you should probably choose a day where the wind speed isn't high or take a motion sickness tablet before you board. You will enjoy your day out with Illusions.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank V L
New Haven, Connecticut
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great 1st scuba experience!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you have any interest in learning to dive without doing one of those several-day courses, then this is a trip for you. This isn't a certification course, but just lets you experience something new. Our dive guide Naomi was very clear and funny, tried to get picture perfect photos of us diving by coral and in between schools of fish. You do pay for photos they take (she took many good ones and put them on a cd for us), but it's worth it. Maybe in the future it might be better for them to put it on a USB stick since none of us had laptops with cd drives in them.

We had 5 people in total (coming up to Christmas, their tourist season isn't as ramped up as other times), so that was nice... only the 2 of us on our dive as the others stuck to snorkeling.

Would recommend bringing some wet gear (ie. rain jacket or even rain pants). Today was very windy and even in the sun, it was cold because of the wind. You will definitely get splashed as you sit at the helm of the boat . The lunch is quite good too (chicken and several salads). Josef is quite funny and entertaining.

Snorkeling was nice too, maybe not as clear as a lower tide less windy and more sunny day, but still enough to do some marveling.

Thanks Illusions!

Visited December 2012
“Best day of trip”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had an amazing day today with illusions. I was a very nervous first time diver but was made to feel do comfortable and confident, I loved every minute of it. Perfect way to experience the whitdundays.

“Disappointed with customer service.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were a party of 9 had three boys do diving as extra, one of our crew after using the toilet to get changed ended up with bleached stripped marks over his clothes, when we contacted Joseph to inform him, and he denied using a bleaching agent. Although I know there were several times that the bleach smell was stronger in the toilet after our stops. I asked Joseph for the cost of the boys' fare to help cover the cost of his clothing and he would not reimburse the fare cost. I was very disappointed in his reaction as I would not think a bleaching agent would be acceptable in a marine park! Spend the extra money and enjoy your day out at airlie I'd say.