“Succulent steaks cooked to perfection!”

The Colonial Palms Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 113 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Following the reviews for all the restaurants in Airlie Beach, we were both hanging out for a good steak. We were not disappointed. This restaurant, located at the Best Western Colonial Motor Inn served up the best meal we have had for a while. Given that we travel for our work, we eat out regularly. A must was the Oysters with Wasabi Mayonnaise as a starter. They were so fresh and delicious. The highlight though was the Eye Fillet Steak, cooked to perfection and so tender, you could have cut it with a butter knife. There was a true peppercorn jus which accompanied it and topped off the flavours. We will definitely return. Thanks to John and Bernie for your fabulous service and credit to the kitchen.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I are from Shanghai.We had a great dinner experience here tonight as we were both impressed by the quality of food and service. The double cooked half duck is rich in flavor and is really succulent, which reminds me of a famous local dish in my hometown. It is authentic and delicious. We will definitely go again sometime.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My partner and I had tea here on Monday 8th of July. This was the best restaurant that we ate at in our 5 night stay in Airlie Beach. The only downside was the fact that it was our last night in Airlie Beach, and we won't be able to go again!
When we arrived (without a reservation) we were warmly greeted by Bernie, our waiter for the night. He was very friendly and attentive, and bought water to the table straight away (which didn't happen at a couple of other restaurants). The decor has a very classic tropical feeling (meaning no explosion of 90's fluoro colours that many associate with 'tropical'). The walls are a crisp white and the high cathedral ceilings sport dark brown beams. A few potted palms and timber art panels completed the relaxed tropical vibe.
We ordered the tapas for entree, and both ordered the Pie of the Day, which was Chicken with a white wine sauce. The tapas was soooo good! I am really fussy when it comes to meat; I don't usually eat mince, or anything other than chicken breast (I live in fear of gristle!). We had a great selection but my favourites were the spiced chicken skewers with raita, and the mince, tomato and capsicum samosa type things. There was also a really nice one that had a caper berry on it, which sort of looks like an olive, and I have never tried before or seen anywhere else. It was delicious. The chicken pie was amaazzzing! The chicken was cooked to perfection, it was so soft it just melted in my mouth. It is the first time in a long time that I have eaten thigh chicken, and I enjoyed every bite. No gristly bits at all. And the creamy white wine sauce was to die for. I ended up cleaning out my bowl with the chips that were served on the side (the meal also came with a nice small fresh side salad). Our plates were served to us by John, another waiter (or manager?), and he was also very friendly.
The prices of the meals were similar to the other restaurants we went to, but the food much better, hence the 5 for value.
Do yourselves a favour and eat here at the beginning of your stay in Airlie Beach. You will definitely want to go back!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great service and the best chicken and tarragon pie in the world!!! Reasonable prices with a lovely view - hard to go past,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We are just new to Airlie Beach and have tried many restaurants in the area.
Colonial Palms was the best restaurant by a long shot. The friendly service was great but the food was fantastic. Oysters to start with wasabi mayo, they were great and my steak was the best I have had in a long time. My husband had the duck and he is still raving about it. The wines were excellent ,not a huge choose but... well priced and very good. Overall this restaurant a great find and now we know what the locals are talking about.
Can't wait for our next visit.