“Expensive and tasteless”

Airlie Thai
Ranked #73 of 102 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive and tasteless”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Walked in, lots of free tables available, waitress had to go and chck if she could fit us in (group of 7) She said she only had two waitresses on staff that night, we were shown to our table. Food was average, watery satay prawns, tasteless. Garlic prawns were also bland, perhaps, forgot the garlic. Lemon lime and bitters was also watery. Asked for the bill, that was very expensive and definitely not worth the money. Would not recommend.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank byebyebirdie59

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Thai EVER, mediocre Chinese”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

i ordered Pad Thai and it didnt taste like it at all. It was veeery hot and spicy. When telling the waitress she took it back and the chef came to ask me what the problem was. when i told her she said she was the chef there for 18 years and she never had a complaint... (reading the reviews below thats hard to believe) She cooked it again but i just got noodles with nothing in there at all. when complaing again i got a crappy version that slightly tasted like pad thai, but at that stage I was pretty sure she spat in it. My friends were all not happy with their food, and overall we came to the conclusion that a Chinese chef shouldnt be cooking Thai (food is coming from the same kitchen)
NEVER GO HERE!

• Visited January 2012
Brisbane
“Better to go to Maccas than here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Good points - it overlooks the water
Bad points
- it is ridiculously overpriced (rice alone is $4 extra) and the prices on the menu on the street are about $5 lower than the real prices inside the restaurant. Considering the quality of the food (it was OK but even a poor cook could probably cook it as well as at home) it is even more overpriced
- they stuffed up our order and two members of our group had to wait twice for their meals to be prepared
- the toilet has the appearance of one you'd find in a poor western restaurant in thailand

• Visited December 2011
Nelson
“Worst Service I have seen in YEARS!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Avoid this place like the dive it is. I went with a couple of workmates, we had to repeat our order several times to make sure the waitress understood the order (to be clear, this was not an "english as a first language" issue) which she the got very wrong. She also advised us very poorly on how much rice we would need and also messed up the rice order which was meant to be gluten free (part of the ordeal of ordering). the food was bland enough that I was halfway through my meal before I realised it was not even what I ordered.
Went I went to pay the staff were more interested in talking to their boyfriends and I had to wait a the counter for 5 mins while good byes were said. When I asked to have our leftovers as takeaways I literally had a couple of plastic takeaway containers chucked on the counter in front of me.
I would not eat here even if it was the last place open in town, I would rather be hungry than give these people any money.
oh, and the food was...edible, although compared to the service was almost a nice surprise.

• Visited September 2011
Mackay, Australia
“Sooo verry baad...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Hilarious place for all the wrong reasons. Asked for NAM PRIK a simple dish of chilli, fish sauce and lime juice. The Thai staple with every meal!! Was told "NO" What a joke. The place was very dirty and the food very average. Went with 9 locals. Never going back.
We DID laugh alot though. Ordered pizza when we went home.

• Visited September 2011