“Best Seafood Restaurant in Airlie Beach.”
Review of Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar - CLOSED

Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have been to Shipwrecked numerous times since the restaurant first opened and have always found the food and staff nothing short of fantastic. My husband and i have always had a great experience each and every time we have dined there, we have found the staff to be very professional and friendly and go to extreme lengths to make sure we are enjoying ourselves and our meals.
The Penang Seafood Curry has to be one of the best curries i have ever tasted (and believe me, i have tried alot of curries) and my husband always goes for the fish as he always says Shipwrecked has the freshest fish in town! We find the prices they charge extremely reasonable for the high quality of food and service they provide.
If you are heading to Airlie I can certainly recommend Shipwrecked as the No 1 seafood restaurant in town.

1  Thank maz196312

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I don't understand all the negative reviews on here i am a regular a shipwrecked and love it the staff are so bubbly and friendly they make me fell so welcome every time i dine there, i know the menu off by heart but still find it hard to decide on what to have the garlic prawns and the best i have every had and the calamari to so tender it just melts in your mouth the curry, trout and barramundi are also some of my favourite's but there is nothing on the menu that isn't great, the wine and cocktail list is huge there is plenty to choose from as is the food menu, the restaurant is in a great location with a great view, food and drink prices are very reasonable and with happy hour cocktails i love to go up in the afternoon and sit on the balcony and have a few cheep but great cocktails, all in all shipwrecked is a great place to have a meal or just a drink.

2  Thank kritty08
Reviewed July 4, 2010

After eating here with a friend and my husband last week I was surprised to see all the very negative reviews on here. On entering I was very pleasantly surprised to see a departure from the oh so disappointingly typical plastic interiors you get in Queensland and loved sitting at a wooden table, looking at the boating paraphenalia hanging from the walls. Our food was adequate bordering on good. I ordered the spicy garlic prawns for the starter, which was perfectly good and then the fish pie - which was full of fish and seafood in a lovely creamy sauce. My husbands and our friend's meals went down equally well. I can't say I was especially enamoured with the waitress - who had no knowledge of the wines on the list and also, when my husband found an elastic band in his broccoli (the only real negative of the evening), she just laughed and walked off. However, for us, being so tired of eating in brightly lit plastic restaurants the ambience more than offset this. We would definitely go again...

Reviewed May 6, 2010

This restaurant is on the 1st floor overlooking a small park and the beach with 2 sides open to the evening air. Very pleasant....... and you can sit on the balcony and have a drink. Good food & reasonable prices. Service was quick but the time we went it wasn't busy. In Airlie Beach there aren't may proper restaurants so it's great that we found this one!

Reviewed April 6, 2010

I am a local and hadn't eaten at Shipwrecked for over 12 months (previous experience here was average). However, I thought given time maybe something had changed so myself and partner chose this restaurant over the tried & proven Fish D'vine.

We were seated promptly and I asked our waitress a few questions on the freshness of the seafood. I was told it was all frozen (and I should have ordered a steak knowing this). However, I really wanted a nice Coral Trout, being my favorite fish so I ordered this and my partner ordered the Barramundi. We ordered a garlic bread for a starter, along with the salt & pepper squid. The garlic bread was under cooked and soggy but the salt & pepper squid was perfect and very enjoyable.

Our mains arrived - but not with the side order of chips that my partner requested - and I when I tried my Coral Trout I had a hard time sticking the fork into the fish!! It was dry and overcooked. I tried to find the nicer, softer pieces of fish to eat but these were few and far between. My partners Barramundi was nice (although not great) and we both shared his meal. When the waitress arrived to take the plates I advised her that the trout was overcooked and dry and that I couldn't eat it. She disappeared with the plate and around 10 minutes later another person came over with my plate to tell me the fish wasn't dry and proceeded to pull it apart with her fingers to show me. I asked her to try a piece that wasn't touched which she refused to do and after playing with the fish some more I advised that I wasn't going to pay the $40 for the fish that was unpalatable. She started arguing with me that the fish was perfect much to the shock of the other clientele dining in the restaurant - not to mention my horror and she stormed off. We decided to finish our wine, pass on any dessert as our evening out was pretty much ruined by this attitude most of all. We went to pay our bill and I reminder her that I wasn't going to pay for the worst Coral Trout I have ever eaten upon which she started arguing again. I asked her name and position within the restaurant only to be told that she is the owner! She eventually took the Trout off the bill and when I told her I was a local and that no one should be spoken to like this and called a liar, she then asked me to Never return to her restaurant again. Now there are always 2 sides to a story and the truth...but I will say that I never once raised my voice or abused this person in any way to warrant such a response. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone (unless it changes ownership) . It is over priced - especially when all the seafood is "freshly frozen". Do yourself a favour and visit Fish D'vine for fresh fish and great attitudes from staff.

5  Thank freya691
jules255060, Owner at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Absolute rubbish & probably libellous! This woman was rude from the start and seemed to have an agenda. The fact that she mentions another local restaurant twice gives a clue to her true motivation. This is personal and unfortunately this website has been used to denigrate our business. I have been in the hospitality business for over 25 years and would never behave this way and neither would our staff. This restaurant has been established for over 8 years and has been named as finalists in two catagories in the Qld. Restaurant & Catering Awards for Excellence.
Our staff got a standing ovation from the rest of our guests when this person left the premises. What does that tell you?