“Utter rudeness”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Whilst strolling along the main st in Airlie Beach deciding where we wanted to eat for dinner, we settled on Shipwrecked seafood bar and grill. Upon entry, we read over all the signs and along with the restaurants accomplishments before entering talking to each thinking, this is going to be a lovely meal. Once we made it to the top of the stairs, we were meet with a server who advised we do not allow children under 5 in after 5pm for WH&S reasons. We left, in shock, our children we not rowdy at all, in fact our children are so well behaved we are praised all the time. I posted a comment on their facebook page, to which they deleted. I then sent them a private message to query why my post was removed and not answered, also advising them I took photos of the signs out as there were no signs up to state about the no children under 5 after 5 rule. I was given a response with 'Haven't you got anything better to do?' and the tirade of abusive contiued. Also being advised 'A child-free policy is certailny not unique to us. It's common all over the world and the trend is growing. Just as a matter of interest, I read that there are restaurants in Sydney and Melbourne who charge a "rude" surcharge to customers who are, well, rude. I doubt that it will catch on but I mention this only because every business has a right to formulate their own policies as they see fit'. The above comments go to show what sort of venue this really is. They have since put a sign out.

1  Thank Cassie M
smuts22, Owner at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

To get the full story on this instead of some selected quotes, why Cassie's original Facebook post was deleted, our full and detailed response to her complaint and why we have such a child policy, please visit our Facebook page.

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here with my wife and brother in law and his wife. We just stumbled upon it and so happy we did! Good view over the park to the water from the balcony. Staff are really nice and owner Adele was really cool. She's out on the floor serving and checking up to make sure your happy! I had the sizzling ginger chilli bugs and have to say they were the best I've ever had and bugs are favourite seafood! Highly recommend it! Good place for lunch on Saturday cause only 50m from the markets!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our first visit to Shipwrecked was November 2009 and for the 2nd time, we visited again Fri 22nd November 2013 for our office Christmas get together. We travelled up from Tweed Heads in NSW for the weekend and after such a great time in 2009, no other restaurant was given a thought when I knew we were coming back to AIrlie. Geoff and Adele were just fantastic leading up to the night with constant emails to ensure a fabulous night for all 16 of us and well, we weren't disappointed. Once again, magnificent food, service, extremely reasonable drink prices and we all had so much fun. I think over 200 photos were taken that night by us all and many, many laughs were had. With a bit of luck and persuasion, I am hoping our Chrismtas Party for 2014 will once again be at Airlie Beach and I would not hesitate to organise our get togther Dinner at Shipwrecked. A visit to Shipwrecked on your next visit to Airlie Beach is a must....Toni Coulter

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Has best views, service and food in Airlie. Been back several times as a local and always loved it. Always take our visitors there to eat as well.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great Resturant bar good location walking distance to most accommadation friendly staff clean and inviting food was good but not the best I have ever had as far as seafood goes was disappointed there wasnt more reef fish only a small bowl mied with calamari and grilled prawns the rest was good however you must must head there if looking for the Best mudslide cocktails we have ever had.