“Good way to see reef, do the intro Scuba you wont regret it”
Review of Cruise Whitsundays

and up
Whitehaven Beach Half-Day Cruises
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Award winning 'Cruise Whitsundays' is the Whitsundays largest and most experienced marine tourism operator offering a range of day cruises and Island Resort connections. Cruises visit the Great Barrier Reef (Reefworld and Knuckle Reef pontoons), Whitehaven Beach and island resorts on Hamilton Island and Daydream Island. The multi-award winning Great Barrier Reefsleep overnight experience is Australia's most unique accommodation. 'Resort Connections' provide services between island resorts and the Whitsunday Coast and connecting the region's airports arrivals and departures. There are also tailor-made activities for the conference, incentive and Weddings market.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Melbourne, Australia
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Good way to see reef, do the intro Scuba you wont regret it”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Not quite sure how stable the boat it, we had about 1 meter swells and there was a lot of rushing for the sick bags but once we got to the reef all of that was forgotten. Our tour wasn't that packed so it was good with lots of room on the pontoon. We were first up on the into scuba and whilst I was apprehensive at 1st, the instructor was excellent and all I needed to do was to calm down and breath naturally through my mouth and it was easy.
Don't hold you breath for the seafood buffet, mainly salads, ham, chicken and prawns (limit of 4), not quite sure how you can call that a seafood buffet.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank ironian
TurtleWhitsundays, Public Relations Manager at Cruise Whitsundays, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thanks so much for your review and we will take your comments on board about the buffet - though nowhere is it promoted as a seafood buffet.
I can assure you all boats that Cruise Whitsundays operate to the reef are very stable and capable of operating safely in ocean swells. If the weather is inclement and not safe for our vessels to operate, we do not operate. Unfortunately ocean swells can induce sea sickness in some people and that's why our crew are prepared with sick bags if needed.
On the whole though, I'm glad to hear you had a great day!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Couldn't be better! Thanks Cruise Whitsundays.”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

So thankful for a great weekend I will never forget. I would do it over and over again a million times. Can't thank Cruise Whitsundays and the crew enough.

On Friday we used our Island Hopper Pass to travel to Hamilton and Long Island. I thought it was great stopping at the different islands on the way to your destination as it was great to see what they looked like and what they had to offer. The staff on the boat also gave you an insight of the islands with great information. Cruising around the Whitsunday Islands wasn't a bad route to the final destination!! Would definitely purchase this pass again next time, for only $60 for the day I would say it is a very reasonable price for what it offers. Definitely recommend.

On Saturday we did the day cruise to Whitehaven Beach. What an experience!! We snorkelled and did the Hill Inlet Walk which were both amazing. Saw loads of fish and were able to do the walk at our own pace. Our tour guide was Craig and I am so glad we had him! He made the experience that much better with his sense of humor and he was full of interesting facts about everything we did. Thanks so much Craig! We will definitely never forget you and you made our experience the best it could have been. Included in the price of the tour was a packed lunch in a little cool bag with a strap which was really convenient. It contained a wrap, a piece of fruit, a yogurt, a cookie and a bottle of water. Was very yum and did not go hungry once! Great quality food too. The staff we had on Cruise Whitsundays couldn't have been better. Craig made sure everyone was included and had a great time and made it a trip to remember. Jason was also great to talk to on Whitehaven Beach when we came back from our snorkel and walk. Everyone was so welcoming and so easy to talk to. The girls were great too, organizing the food and making sure everyone was OK. Like I said - everyone was so easy to talk to and made you feel at ease about everything.

Hope we get this crew again in the future, will definitely be back! I definitely recommend these to everybody, especially if you are a first time visitor. The prices are great for what you get and you will not regret it! The staff will make it a very memorable trip that you will never forget.

Thanks Cruise Whitsundays, keep doing what you're doing!!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Claire M
Thanks so much for your review, and I will be sure to pass on the positive feedback to the crew you've mentioned! Glad to hear you enjoyed travelling through the Whitsundays with Cruise Whitsundays so much!
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thank you cruise whitsundays.”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Thank you cruise whitsundays for a very memorable weekend!
Friday we had the island hopper pass which was great going to all the islands and exploring what each had to offer. Bush walks, lovely beaches and amazing staff all around to make your trips and stays more enjoyable.

Saturday we travelled the full day tour to Whitehaven beach, snorkelling and hill inlet walk. Amazing day! Packed lunch for each person was fantastic, wasn't hungry, food was fresh and delicious! Small group taken from Whitehaven to a small beach to snorkel the coral, then to hill inlet and back to Whitehaven to swap with the other small group to spend a few hours relaxing on Whitehaven. Our tour guide Craig was excellent lots of things to explain and tell us about the area, Islands and animals. He made the day truly memorable with his great sense of humour, ability to include everyone and talk to people from the moment we got on the boat at Abell harbour to the return.
All the staff were great from Courtney laying out the afternoon tea to Jason talking to us at Whitehaven beach. Made you feel welcome and relaxed.

We will definitely be back to do more tours as we ran out of time! Hopefully get the great team we had again! This is a must do for anyone thinking of going to the Whitsunday area! Trust the crew in the boats they drive those waters daily and get you there safely no matter what the conditions!

Thanks again :)

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mike P
Thanks so much for your review, we love hearing great feedback like this! Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Canberra
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Thank you James and Shannon for a wonderful day!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

After reading reviews on TA I changed the half day tour I had booked to the FULL DAY trip to Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet with Cruise Whitsundays. Thank goodness I did. Thoroughly recommend the full day tour instead of the half day tour. Everything was fantastic: the service, the food… When we arrived in beautiful Whitehaven Beach we spent some hours there. That is all you do if you go on the half day tour. But we were also taken on a speed boat to Chalkies Beach to snorkel in an inner coral reef. My husband and I were lucky enough to see a turtle. We were quiet and we were able to watch it eat from the bottom and come up for air twice. Meanwhile, our tour guide, James, had helped my 74 year old mother (that can´t swim) into the water. He helped her see the fish and coral for the first time ever which was her dream. After that they took us on the speed boat again to the Hill Inlet Whitsunday Lookout. When we got there the noise of the boat disturbed the sting rays that were eating crabs on the beach. There were dozens of them swimming all around the boat getting away. On the beach we saw dozens of holes in the sand where the sting rays had been feeding on crabs. After the bush walk up to the lookout we saw what is the third most photographed place in Australia after Sydney Harbour and Ullaru. It is picture post card. Stunning. On the way back to Whitehaven Beach the skipper, Shannon, let mum help him drive the boat. She had such a fantastic day. Thank you guys for such an unforgettable tour.

Visited January 2014
TurtleWhitsundays, Public Relations Manager at Cruise Whitsundays, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hi there,
Thanks for your review, it's such great feedback that other reviews influenced your choice of tour and I'm so glad you had the same great experience as others have had! And great stories like your Mum getting in the water are so nice to hear. I'm glad you all had such a good time. I will make sure your comments are passed on to the staff you've mentioned.
- Danielle
Pasadena, California
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Overpriced tourist trap”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The two star rating does not reflect on the very friendly staff. It is more of a reflection on the management's modus operandi.

My wife and I traveled up and down Queensland to experience the great barrier reef, and this was by far the worst operation.

The staff are clearly pressured to continuously sell either scuba dive lessons or the ridiculous snorkeling tours. I felt bad for them.

You will share the tour with 300 other people. You will begin to feel like cattle. Thankfully, most of the tourists are poor swimmers; therefore, if you can swim further than 50 m, then you will have a great time exploring the Reef away from the crowd.

My wife and I paid for the reef sleep. Huge mistake.

For US$450 per person, you will have a small cell with stained bedsheets. Your "private bathroom" is part of the men's changing room. (Enjoy the wonderful smells of a men's locker room!) At night, the air conditioner will make random noises to wake you up. Thank goodness we always travel with ear plugs.

I support capitalism, but this is ridiculous. Update your amenities to match the price tag.

If you have traveled from another continent to Australia, then avoid this drain and find another, more personalized, company to take you to the reefs. There are plenty good ones out there, and they are well reviewed on this website.

6 Thank JackandResh
TurtleWhitsundays, Public Relations Manager at Cruise Whitsundays, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thanks for your review and for the positive feedback on our our staff. I’m sorry if you felt your Great Barrier Reef experience was impacted by other guests. Cruise Whitsundays is a major tour operator in the Whitsundays and the only operator who takes guests to the outer Great Barrier Reef by boat on a daily basis. We do operate large vessels and we take around 200-300 people to the reef each day. The pontoon at the reef is very large, with two levels and plenty of space for people to spread out and enjoy themselves, as well as still having access to the air conditioned boat tied up next to the pontoon the whole day. And as you say, there is a large area of reef that you can swim around to explore. These facilities are all clearly outlined in our marketing materials, however I’m sorry you did not enjoy being in a large group.
I’m also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Reefsleep experience. The price includes two full days on the Great Barrier Reef as well as the overnight accommodation on the reef pontoon and all meals. It is one of Australia’s most unique accommodation and the focus is on the amazing experience of the solitude and peace of the reef with almost no-one else around and the intimate experience of the Great Barrier Reef. The vast bulk of our Reefsleep guests sleep on the upper deck in swags under the stars, if you could contact us with your date of travel we can formally investigate the maintenance issues you have mentioned and why you were sleeping in the double room rather than in swags? (info@cruisewhitsundays.com.au and use your booking reference number as the email subject).
- Danielle