“Great place to stay”

Blue Horizon Resort Apartments
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a week here and would definitely stay again. This near new complex has everything. Would recommend to all. Close to town and fantastic views. The pool is heated to 28 d and is just excellent. Other facilities are also good including a gym spa etc

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Modern and very clean appartments in walking distance to Airlie Beach town center with all ameneties you can think of including a modern fully equipped kitchen and a huge balcony. We particularly enjoyed the lovely pool & spa area.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night in Oct '12. Room was clean and tidy. Only 10min walk to the main shops. Reception open between 8 and 5. We arrived at 520pm. Room keys were in a safe in the carpark. Just had use the intercom to contact staff. Didnt use the pool or other facilities. I would stay again, but for 2 days max.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We really can't complain too much as we booked three nights of the mystery hotel with Wotif, so we didn't pay very much. That said, I wouldn't want to pay the rack rate.

First, be very careful driving into the reception area. The lane way is too steep for the road and the bumpers and tailgates of most vehicles will catch on the road. The road is quite scarred by these incidents. Then, when you actually make it to the parking area, it is quite tight and really meant for small cars. If you have anything bigger than a mid size, you probably will have difficulty parking.

Second, it is a very stripped down property from a services perspective. If you want a towel for the pool, they are five dollars each. If you lose your card key or don't return it, they want fifty dollars for a replacement (most places nowadays don't event care if you return them....!)

Third, the reception desk is not really open very often. 9-3 on weekends and holidays. Our room wasn't supplied with any coffee or tea but we left for activities each day before 9 and never got back until after three.

There appears to be a bar or cafe area off of the pool but it never seemed to be open during our three night stay. It is a good km or so into the actual town of Airlie Beach and that is the nearest place to stock p on snacks or supplies. The property could probably do with having a few snack machines installed.

It is about a ten minute walk to the Port of Airlie and there are a couple of decent coffee places in that complex. The nearest restaurant is a Thai place next to Blue Horizons and there is a Moroccan restaurant in the port complex.

The couch and chairs in the living room are incredibly uncomfortable and I think they are meant to be outdoor furniture for a pool area (and probably meant to have better cushions!)

I also found it odd that it was the tenants' responsibility to empty all the garbage bins otherwise there would be a cleaning charge levied against the bill.

The room itself was pleasant enough for the price we paid but I found it strange that the movie guide for the tv was more than a month out of date. All said and done, we will probably stay at Airlie Summit or the Boathouse the next time we go to Airlie rather than return to Blue Horizon. And I almost forgot to mention that there was a one AM evacuation because someone set off the fire alarm by smoking in the hallway ( strangely, only a small number of tenants actually evacuated...it looked like a lot of people just went out onto their balconies...good thing it wasn't a real fire! )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TristanEF
A quickbeds.com traveller
Whitsunday Coast
Reviewed October 1, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Thank A quickbeds.com traveller
Reviewed September 21, 2012

looking from the lounge room out into the distance that was the whitsundays was an easy way to relax. we like to walk so this resort was about an easy 10 -15 mins walk into the heart of airlie. we would lake the "detour" through the Boathouse grounds and make the walk even more pleasant. we spent time at the pool, spa but didn't need to use the BBQ area. the staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. we don't cook when we were on holidays so the small bench kitchen was not a problem to us ie there was no stove but there was a microwave.

Room Tip: we stayed on the second floor so views slightly obstructed - the higher the better
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

A group of 5 of us stayed at the Blue Horizon Apartments for 5 nights.
On arrival, reception was closed, the front door requiring key entry, and a group of bewildered people milling around outside the door. We had received a text telling us that our key was in a safe and telling us the access code, as had the others.
We had all driven up to reception as the sign on the road said to do, and there was gridlock! We retrieved our key along with a couple of pages of instructions. In the poor lighting in the garage, (and perhaps my poor eyesight!) we couldn't immediately read our instructions, didn't know what to do with our cars and all felt a bit lost.
We called the 'night manager' (it was about 4pm) on the phone outside the door. This guy was curteous and helpful. He came down, sorted us all out, and told us where to put the cars.
Our adjoining apartments were lovely, and the balcony fantastic, though the kitchen was poorly equipped, and the couches, though they looked great, were SO hard.
The facilities at Blue Horizon are great - lovely pool area, well equipped gym. The reception staff, however, I found abrupt to the point of being rude. I went down to ask a question, then suggested that maybe there could be a sign on the door letting people know where to go if they arrive and reception is closed. I was cut off with 'Everyone says that! There are signs everywhere! We dont need any more signs!' I slunk off with my tail between my legs.
Later in my stay, I realised that the poor lighting in our appartment was due to several blown lightglobes. The following morning I went down to reception to ask for replacements. Reception person A told me that the maintenance man wasn't in that day - I'd have to wait until the following day - why hadn't I let them know immediately? I was surprised again at how little importance was put on customer satisfaction. I raised my eyebrows, and must have looked annoyed, as suddenly Reception person B piped up that they would call in the man, and have him fix my lights that day. He did.
A week later we stayed elsewhere for a night. It was a little shabby and dated, but clean, spacious, and the managers couldn't be more friendly and helpful.
If it wasn't for the attitude of the people at the front desk, I think I would have been very happy with Blue Horizon, but the staff at reception really let the place down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends