“A relaxing holiday that's great value.”
Review of Mantra Amphora

Mantra Amphora
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Sydney, Australia
“A relaxing holiday that's great value.”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Mantra Amphora just after Christmas and over New Years. At this time it's considered low season so you can expect very reasonable rates, unlike the weather - it's considered the low/rainy season at this time. We chose the hotel style room with spa and pool views. The room was a good size and opened up into a balcony. We thought it was sound proof well so you can expect peace and quiet despite the endless activities and noise at the pool. Overall the room and bathroom was clean and the spa in the tub worked well. It was equipped with all the basic necessities of a hotel room - with one difference, housekeeping is not included unless requested (which you have to pay extra for). The service at reception was friendly and professional. Fantastic location, with the beach right across the road. Great cafes and restaurant all within easy walking distance.

The pool was a very good size and bigger than most hotel pools in the area - so plenty of space to find your spot. The landscape was neat and clean except for one BUT. Although there were signs where it said no food and drinks were allowed, there were families there who ate and drank and left their rubbish behind which was not nice as we notice some food or ice cream would get dropped in the pool. We were surprised that there wasn't anyone around to stop them. A couple of dads even drank beer in the pool which we thought was not appropriate. For a pool area of that size perhaps management could appoint a life guard or a hotel personnel, not only for guest safety but to ensure the pool is not dirtied by food and drinks. It does seem unhygienic and does effect the pleasant atmosphere.

Overall it's a great value place for families or couples set in a gorgeous location.

Room Tip: When booking a room it is worth talking to reception and telling them your room requirements. They w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Reviewed December 14, 2011

So as it turns out- my inital prefernce was Sea Temple or Peppers Beachclub. Frankly I was turned off by the rudeness encountered at both properties (seriously- do you want a client's buisness or not???)
Stumbled by Mantra Amphora and GOSH!!!! How lucky a find.
The 1 bedroom units accommodated myself and boyfriend beautifully. Should we have wanted to host an orchestra within, there would have been enough room.
The pool was lovely (particularly at night)- truely complimenting the tranqil ambiance one finds in Palm Cove!!
The location is second to none. Found in the centre of town- the beach is literally across the road; seperated by a strip of wonderful cafes & restraunts to suit any dietary need.

I can confidentally recommend this place to couples/families, Young and old alike. Thanks so much to the lovely staff who were so warm & welcoming. I'll with a doubt return!

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank TravAgent87
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights recently in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and 2 small children. This was a perfect family location. Lots of similar families with young children were staying there. The apartment was huge and interconnected to a hotel room as the second bedroom. Massive bathrooms and a spa in one of the rooms made it a dream to all shower/bath/toilet and relax. A tremendous and well appointed kitchen was perfect for a family and the washer/dryer means that half the clothes we brought were only needed. Large living area and bedrooms were also enjoyable and gave us plenty of space to live and entertain visitors. Outdoor setting was great for sitting/eating outside if desired. The lagoon style pool just outside the door was well used and brilliant for children of all ages including our 8 month old baby. Many oustanding restaurants surround this hotel in an ideal area. The beach is literally across the road and beautiful. Grocery shopping is a limited but within walking distance necessary to stock the apartment with essentials. Palm Cove is a pleasant location with plenty to do or just relax and enjoy this beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom a dream with so much space and so spread out. 1 bedroom may be sufficient. Some apartments...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob-Danielle
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed at Mantra Amphora in October 2011 and were very happy with the facilities, location etc.

We had a great 2 bedroom apartment as well as an adjoining apartment which was rented by my parents and the two rooms were interconnecting.

Room standards were very good, kitchen (as in most places like that) had a few little faults, like hotplates that didn't work properly, but nothing to gripe about..

Also, the carpet either needed replacing or a bit of maintenance done as both my daughter and I got nasty scratches from the carpet staples that were sticking out on the stairs.! I meant to tell reception, but forgot - but could be nasty if you caught your foot the wrong way..

Location is excellent, and we were lucky enough to get an apartment looking out onto the street & beach passing by... Was very quiet in rooms though, hardly heard any noise from outside. It is right in the middle of many restaurants.

Balcony was lovely to sit on and eat dinner/breakfast, although afternoons could get quite windy.

Now onto the pool... We went outside of school holidays, and think this was a great idea because there was nearly always plenty of deck chairs and space in and around the pool. Pool itself was quite large and kids enjoyed it immensely.

On our 3rd day in Palm Cove, we decided to have a "sit by the pool" day as we had spent the last 2 days doing touristy things everywhere... We were at the pool by about 10:30 along with some other kids & families, and not long afterwards, my 9 year old daughter said to me "Mum, there's poo in the pool!" I was hoping she was joking and ignored for a bit until she insisted... So, with poo-vision goggles, I delicately placed as little of my face as possible in the water to get a better look, and low and behold, some kid has left tiny little nuggets all over the bottom of the pool. We told our kids to hop out and I went round to inform reception.

I told the receptionist, (I might note at this point it was definitely NOT our kids who dropped the little presents...they are a little too old for that!) and she said she would send around the maintenance man.

He came out a few minutes later with a pooper-scooper, I told my daughter to tell him where it was, he scooped one bit out, without a single word or acknowledgement, he just took off again. Problem was, this was an entire Happy Meal, not just a single nugget. I thought maybe he would be back, but after about another 5 minutes it was obvious he wasn't coming, so I went back around to reception and told her there was still more... Anyway, we hung around for a bit but the maintenance guy didn't come back, and I didn't want to be the official poo patrol anyway, so we took off for an early lunch and thought hopefully they will fix it and we will come back late in the afternoon...

So we arrived back about 4pm, hoping they'd cleared it up and chucked in some chlorine, but it only took a quick look and we could see that there was still nuggets hovering on the bottom everywhere, except now, some of the unsuspecting pool guests had stepped in it and smeared it all across the bottom!

This time we rang reception from poolside who contacted the manager who shut down the pool. Thing is, if they had have dealt with it properly at 10:30am in the morning, it wouldn't have been as disgusting as it now was. I was kind of amazed that management could have let it go so long without doing anything, I realise shutting down a resort pool is pretty drastic action, but poo in the pool IS pretty drastic and my feeling was that they just hoped it would go away..

As they say, s**t happens, kids will be kids and drop the odd chokito in the pool, but I think management could have definitely dealt with it better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank trinay
Graham-Oliver, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
I remember this day clearly. I think it will be etched in my mind forever. Along with the endless supply of little 'nuggets'.
I do believe that this is two or more incidents you are describing.
We were actually called several times to the pool on that day and unfortunately in the end had to 'close it down' as it was becoming out of hand. It was indeed scooped, vacuumed and additional chemicals added to it after each removal. By the time the afternoon came we had no choice. The offender was obviously still at large and continuing the waste disposal in the pool. We had to shut it down and have an outside company come and test the water to ensure it's safety.

It's the first time I have had to close the pool. I am sure none of our guests were very happy at all - trust me, none of the staff cleaning it up were happy either!

I'm sorry this happened on a day that you had planned to spend by our normally gorgeous swimming pool. It was a unfortunate incident for everyone.
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband and I travelled to palm Cove for a much needed break in Nov 2011. We chose the Mantara Amphora Report for its location and recommendations from this site and other sites.

We were not disappointed, the room we booked was the 1 bedroom Pool View (we also had slight ocean views- which was just magical) we could hear the sound of the waves from the beach too! The room was very large and modern, it looked and felt brand new. With a well equipped full size kitchen, large glass shower plus jacuzzi bath with jets, fully air conditioned in all areas, comfy bed and lounges nicely clean and well maintained.

The large resort pool down stairs from our room was very welcoming and was very clean. Teh resport is centrally located and a short walk from the restaurants and main shopping village of Palm Cove.

I have recommended to several friends wanting to get away somewhere special and relaxing and we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the Pool room. (We had room 535)
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay.
Our staff and myself included are over the moon reading your review.
Housekeeping, maintenance, pool cleaners, gardeners - it's really great to know when we are doing a good job.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leongatha, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have just spent 1 month at the Amphora and had a fabulous time. The staff were always helpful and maintinence on the room was excellent.We had a 1 bedroom apt spacious and clean .Furniture basic.Kitchen equipment is basic as in all Mantra's. Airconditioning good. Our ground floor Apt looked onto the stunning lagoon pool and sea views" very spoilt." The Lagoon pool was warm and cleaned every morning plenty of sun lounges ,tables and chairs surrounded by stunning gardens.This pool would be a little cold in June.July.Situated across from the beach and many Restaurant.Negitives and I am being over critical. Fridge too small and the bed could be replace.They have these bedspreads as bed covers not good ,easy, just ask for a blanket.We will definately stay there again. Thanks Mantra Amphora.

Room Tip: Room 5th wing
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Graham-Oliver, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Thank you for the great review.

I am so pleased that you had such a great time and enjoyed the resort. Our pool does cool down during the winter months (the only heating it receives is from the sun) however, we do still have guests throughout the whole winter months in swimming costumes sunbaking and swimming. The winter months are also great at the beach (directly opposite the resort) as it is our 'low' stinger season.

Mattress toppers are on their way to rectify the bed issue. Fridges are a standard size. Exactly correct, if you don't like the quilt you can request a blanket. We always want to know of any issues that you may be experiencing whilst staying with us. Most matters we can rectify immediately for you.

Make sure you call us when next coming back to visit so we can ensure to extend a warm welcome back.
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Very enjoyable place. Just stayed there with 6 month old & everything about the place was great. Very family friendly.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Buzzybuzzbo
Thank you for such a lovely review.

We do love looking after our families and our honeymooners, and of course business people, weekenders, couples, retiree's, locals, anyone who is just looking for a nice relaxing break.

Please let us know when you are next returning so that we can make sure you receive a very warm welcome back.