“It was mouldy.....”

Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Palm Cove
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I booked in at the Sea Temple (2 nights) for some R & R prior to a conference in Cairns. We booked into the basic hotel style "Studio Spa Room".
Our first impressions where great when we saw the foyer but degenerated from there. Upon check-in, the hotel receptionist presented us with the paperwork quoting a total cost approx. $100 more than the price quoted upon booking! He seemed a bit "put-out" that we questioned the rate and asked for evidence. We were directed to the public internet access and returned less than 3 minutes later with the paperwork. In that little span of time the same guy had completely forgotten who we where and asked my husband if we were checking in! Yeah, we were here 3 minutes ago!
I have booked all my travel accommodation online for the last 9 years and never have I had a mistake with the reservation.
When we finally made it to the room, it was neat but smelt damp. I could forgive this in a tropical climate but the state of the Roman blinds in the rooms was disgusting. So mouldy I refused to touch them. If we had been staying for a longer duration I would have complained and asked to be moved. This is a health hazard!
Not that that would have done any good. Some work colleagues were also staying at this property and no kidding- wrong rate charged & damp room with mouldy blinds! They asked for their room to be cleaned and deodorised and that was done but really should this be necessary?
This hotel was recommended highly by family but we would not stay there again! Fortunately we moved onto the Shangri-La in Cairns- no mould, no smell and great service!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Icanhasholiday
danieloneill, Duty Manager at Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sea Temple Resort & Spa Palm Cove. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Mirvac Hotels & Resorts, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. I would like the opportunity to discuss the issues that you had during your stay. Please don't hesitate to give me a call at the below number if you wish.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to show you this level of service is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Ph: 4059 9600

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed June 28, 2010

loved every minute. great rooms. great restaurants and bar, choice of pools and short walk to beach is hard to beat. Good value. Definitely going back

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
danieloneill, Duty Manager at Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2010

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sea Temple Resort & Spa Palm Cove. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed June 23, 2010

We (2 couples) have just returned from a four-night stay in a swim-out room at the Sea Temple. After all the previous reviews, we were all really looking forward to it, having booked in January. Unfortunately, none of us think the same as the previous reviewers.

Arriving at the resort at 9.30am on Saturday (having confirmed our early arrival the day prior and requested, if possible, an early check-in) we were told we would certainly be contacted if this was possible. We didn't hang around of course, and instead drove to Port Douglas for the day (where we all decided we should have stayed - see below for more re this). We arrived back at 3pm for our true check-in time, to be told that they were just about to phone us! 3pm is the check-in time anyway so the phone call wasn't really helpful.... On our check-in when I enquiried about whether we could possiblly have a late check-out (12n, instead of 11am) on the day we left, I was told this would definitely not be possible if someone was checking in after us..... We were checking in straight after other people but they got a late check-out and it wasn't available to us (even though I had requested an early check-in). Obviously, it depends on who you get on the front desk.....

Anyway, it wasn't a great start - and over the four days I really didn't find the front desk staff all that friendly. We would walk past them and most of the time they never looked up from their computer. This isn't a hotel in busy Hong Kong where you don't expect that - but in a relaxed spa resort in NQ - you do.

The swim-out room had great points. The height and space was great but the layout and the cleanliness wasn't. If you want a swim-out room, ask for any room except 102. The room (kitchen, lounge, dining, and the outdoor areas) all face onto the walkway from the main reception and the men's toilets. So people coming straight out of reception walk straight towards the room. While all the swim-out rooms have privacy issues - they do face the pool, after all - 102's issue could easily be rectified with a high shrub in the already established garden. Sitting by the pool or in the outdoor area of the apartment and seeing men come and go from the toilet isn't so great.

The second bedroom (at the opposite end of the apartment) only has a sliding door (with no security screen), so you can't gain any fresh air through the night. The air conditioning is all or nothing throughout the apartment - you can't have it on in one room and not the other.

On our arrival, we found dirty bandaids on the floor in our outdoor area and the bedrooms were incredibly dusty (the lamps and headboards). The lounge (cream) was so dirty and totally stunk!

Tak your own plunger coffee - there's a plunger there, but no coffee. At $425 per night in 2010, three little instant packets seems out of touch.

Palm Cove is nice, the restaurant selection was good, not great. I'm happy to pay for great food but $24 for a Thai green chicken curry is crazy. The Tandoori Oven was really good. Port Douglas had a better range of eateries and shops and just seemed livlier. We were all really surprised how little there was to do in Palm Cove. We mostly spent out time on day trips anyway - I think I would go crazy if I stayed in town for an entire holiday.

Sorry if this sounds like a total whinge - but I couldn't believe how different our view was compared to the other reviewers. The Peppers Beach Club looked really good, by the way. If I stayed at Palm Cove again (which I won't) I would try here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank urbandesigner

PH: 4059 9600

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I should start this review with a note that we paid an unheard of rate ($220/night for 2-bedroom apartment) for our 7-night stay here. So in hindsight perhaps it is a case of 'get what you pay for'. We let the apartment privately through a website- www.luxuryholidays.com.au. Astrid took our booking, was very helpful. No hassles there. The flaws started pretty much soon as we checked in. If you lease rooms privately in this resort, you will get ZERO service. We arrived late in the evening on a Saturday night with our 2 kids (2 & 4yr), was greeted by a porter upon disembarking from the taxi and escorted to reception. As soon as we checked-in and they discovered we were private tenants we were told we had to take our luggage to our room ourselves....fair enough.....off we went, map in hand (note it is dark). Our room wasn't far from reception, perhaps 50m, on the ground floor. We got to take our luggage right through the middle of some poor couples wedding reception (the speeches!), with the cobbled pavers and the trolley and the eyes of 70-odd people on us. Reception are so clearly biased against private tenants, that they lack the ability to exercise discretion of this policy....to their own detriment. I can imagine the couple whose wedding we imposed on and their guests were not impressed and I can't say we would blame them. This set the standard of service for the rest of our stay. We needed to know the direct dial number for our room. Reception spent more time explaining why they couldn't help us, than what it would have taken them to check it on their computer system. These are just a couple examples, and we observed others experiencing similar frustrations. Putting the very average, non-existent service aside, the most irritating aspect of our stay was the NOISE. 1. Numerous weddings...all held out in the open, directly opposite our room, with DJ/top 40 music till 11pm-midnight. 2. From about 4.30am the service staff start moving about with their trolleys (yes, cobbled pavers everywhere....very pretty, terribly noisey!!). Perhaps if we were in a unit away from the function area, we could of enjoyed our stay and some sleep, but I suspect the noise would diffuse all over this resort. In a resort of this class I was surprised that they would allow open-air weddings to have DJ's. Perhaps if we were single and younger, we wouldn't have minded, but we are not, and nor were many of the guests.

A note about Palm Cove- beautiful unspoilt spot, but super expensive to eat out and not particularly family-friendly (some restaurants have no children's menu). We ordered through Coles online and had our week of groceries delivered.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank iluv2travelSydney
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We have stayed here many times and cant fault it. We normally go "out of season" and always get a good room - in fact we have been upgraded on occasions. We never seem to get any acknowlegment of our frequent visits which can be disappointing. And I do agree that it is becoming a little "tired" and needs facelift in many rooms.
Having said that - we have stayed elsewhere in Palm Cove and have no hesitation in saying this place is the best. It has that 5 Star feeling and look and the staff are always friendly. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
danieloneill, Duyt Manager at Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2010

Regarding the comments about the frequent vist reconignition, please check out our webiste for a new loyality program.

Reviewed June 17, 2010

Just returned from a one week stay at the Sea Temple in Palm Cove. The facility was beautiful - we had a lovely 2 br unit that was sleek, modern and clean and overlooked the pool. Loved having a full kitchen and washer & dryer as well as beautiful outdoor living space!
A special note on "Kate" who worked during the evenings. Kate went above and beyond to help coordinate our excursions, including a last-minute dive trip for my husband. She also helped us secure a great rate at a partner hotel in Cairns. Kate certainly knows the area, knows diving and was a great help and resource to us. So, a big thank you to Kate!
The hotel is within walking distance to some shopping, take-out places and restaurants. The area itself is quite charming and relaxing. Parking is easy and free of charge.
On the downside, the bed was a bit small and uncomfortable and a few of the furnishings in our room seemed a bit worn. A few other nearby resorts offered the ability of furniture on the beach, but the Sea Temple did not. The pool area was quite attractive, but a bit shaded throughout the day for me.
For the money, this was an incredible stay and we definitely hope to return in the future! I would highly recommend the Sea Temple!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Highly recommend Sea Temple - enjoyed a three day trip to the Barrer Reef and had a 2br/2ba unit that was to die for - my college age son was awe struck at the size of the room and the view from our balcony. The staff could not have been more helpful and the restaurant was as good as any on the beach and at a fair price compared to other locations. Amenities such as the spa, pool(s) and beach were nothing short of fantastic. Wife enjoyed a $99 facial/back massage. Tour buses picked us up at Sea Temple arranged through Kristie at Sea Temple. You will not be disappointed as the 2br/2ba unit at $196/night through Hotels.com was very impressive.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Kewarra Beach
22 mi away
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas

Been to Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!