“Delightful”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Melbourne, Australia
“Delightful”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Northern Queensland is a special part of the world, and the Sea Temple Resort is a delightful base for exploring it. The resort is 5 minutes walk from the main street of Palm Cove, which suited us - this was a holiday for peace and quiet, not the noise of passing traffic. Which is why I haven't reviewed the resort as 5 star.

We paid a fair bit of money to get peace and quiet, and four nights out of our stay were accompanied by loud, thumping music from wedding receptions. Admittedly, the music finished right on the dot of 11pm each night, and I do hope the people who got married were happy, but if I wanted loud music and voices, I could have stayed home. I did read weddings were held at the resort, but it didn't really occur to me what that meant - and yes, it should have, I know.

That said, this resort is delightful. Spacious one bedroom apartment overlooking the pool, free parking, gym, 30 seconds to the beach, friendly staff, decent food, cheaper than most broadband internet (although wireless would be good too), very pleasant surroundings...It's a short drive to the airport, close to many attractions, 30 minutes from Port Douglas and the Daintree Rainforest beyond, and right at the base of the Great Dividing Range, beyond which is Kuranda and the Atherton Tableland (take the Skyrail to Kuranda, a fantastic experience). It was also very family friendly, and there were people of all ages staying when we were there.

I was surprised though at the apparent absence of any environmental policy; for example:

- option to not have towels replaced (this is the first resort/hotel I've stayed in for many years that doesn't have this option),
- not turning on the dishwasher as part of the regular service - today, one knife and two cups were washed in a full cycle wash - waste of water and energy there,
- placing recycling bins in the apartment kitchens, and
- option to not have the rooms serviced every day on long stays.

But, all in all, a delightful experience and a lovely stay. If loud music doesn't bother you, I'd highly recommend it.

Oh, this one for the managers, on the sign at the Lagoon Bar where you ask for guest to not reserve pool chairs, you've spelled personal wrong (personnel) - yes, I'm a spelling pedant :)

3 Thank Mazza57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Goal: Find a spacious and romantic room at an affordable rate for a surprise honeymoon I planned for my wife and I.

Did Sea Temple Deliver?

Service: Yes - very friendly and super helpful
I was surprised by the level of service at the Sea Temple. When we first arrived it apeared they were short staffed as the same person who checked us in on the computer was the same person who carried our bags up to our room. At first this concerned me as it appeared they were stretched thin. But as our stay continued, any request I had, whether I called from the room or went down to the lobby they were on top of it. If I needed an international adapter they brought it to the room. If I needed to plan a diving or sight seeing trip, they called and arranged it all for me. Even when I needed to call Qantas for a change in my travel itinerary, they did it all for me! This definitely won them points. I didn't give them a 4/5 since they did try really hard to make our stay comfortable, but they still had a few rough edges with the pool staff that serves food. They could be a little kinder.

Value: Great Value
The Sea Temple definitely has a great value considering the cleanliness of the rooms to cost/night. I searched many different hotels/resorts around the world for a large unit with extras (outdoor jacuzzi, large balcony, full kitchen, large bathrooms) and the Sea Temple provided all these extras at less than half the cost of other name brand hotels (Four Seasons or Hilton).

Sleep Quality: Average Beds
This is one area where they could improve. The beds are average. Sheets are nothing special as well as the mattresses are basic mattresses. Didn't have a problem sleeping (and I like firm mattresses), but it could use an upgrade.

Cleanliness: Room are clean.
Basically rooms are clean or not clean. Our room as definitely clean. Our rooftop terrace was the only thing that wasn't super clean. The furniture up there was older and the outdoor carpeting material seemed to attract all the falling leaves and such. It wasn't terrible but could be better.

Location: Great location
Close enough to the main strip in Palm Cove to walk (5-10 minutes). The walk is nice and even safe to walk at night. Fully lit foot path. About 30 minutes away from Cairns with a car/bus and about 40 minutes away from Port Douglas with car/bus. No problems finding transportation.

Room: Spacious but low quality furniture.
As I was looking through different hotels around the world (yes I had the option of going almost anywhere), the two bedroom penthouse apartment at the Sea Temple in Palm Cove was what I selected. The unit provided a very large apartment with a fully operating kitchen. It also had a large balcony with lots of privacy as well as a private rooftop terrace with a large jacuzzi tub. The unit was very comfortable for the two of us, one bedroom was used for our luggage and such while the master bedroom was used for sleeping. The unit was very clean and comfortable. Since the unit had a full operating kitchen with a full set of dishes, silverware and cooking appliances we were able to plan a majority of our meals in the unit. I love to cook so we got a taxi ride to the local grocery market (Cole's), a 5 minute taxi ride ($20-$25 round trip). We purchased a whole bunch of food to cook breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks. We also purchased all of our alcohol at the liquor store right next to Cole's. Purchasing the food and liquor and cooking most of our meals in was one of the smartest things we did. I splurged on the room ($450/night but well worth it), and spent only about $300 on food and alcohol for the entire week. We ate like kings and were able to enjoy a large unit. If we were to eat every meal out in restaurants we would have spent 2 or 3 times that amount on food. So I highly recommend the apartments at the Sea Temple even though they are a little more per night. It's definitely well worth it if you bring your own food and drink.

Resort: Nice, but no class
The resort felt very clean and nice but was missing class and character. All the hallways and lobby are open to the air (no walls), which is nice since the weather is great, but it just didn't have a classy feel to it. The pool area was nice but it had a whole bunch of family's with kids. So the pool area definitely was not romantic.

Beach: Yes
Beautiful and private. The entrance to the beach from the Sea Temple is about half a kilometer away from the main street/beach of Palm Cove, so very private. When we layed out on the beach it really felt like we were the only ones there. This was a huge plus. The resort does not provide beach chairs, so be prepared to go out with just your towel. We didn't mind this. But overall the beach was clean and private.

OVERALL:
Very much enjoyed my stay. Definitely won't complain too much about the small details due to the great pricing. But it is apparent after staying that they do save money on lower quality furniture, mattresses, and sheets. This is a very comfortable resort to stay at if you don't want to spend too much money. But it definitely is not any where near a world class 5 star resort.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor (4th floor), it was right above the main swimming pool where all the k...
1 Thank Nathan M
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We are locals who were in desperate need of a night away...we got an excellent locals rate and checked into a studio room. We have been lucky enough to stay in several excellent five star hotels in Asia and across Australia and this has to rate as one of the best. The studio room was certainly not small. The spa bath was extremely spacious and the bed exceptionally comfy. We also had a nice balcony area outside. Having worked very long hours in our business, we treat ourselves to a meal in the restaurant.THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING. Palm Cove can be a bit pricy but the meal we had was worth every cent, five star quality and five star service. I have read several negative comments on this website about the staff at this resort. This was certainly not our experience, all the staff we encountered were very professional and helpful. Our waiter/manager in the restaurant was a gentleman named George who was exceptionally good. He offerred great advice on the menu and really made our evening one to remember.
Great hotel in a great location, if you are thinking of staying here you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: We had a studio room and found it very comfortable.
2 Thank AlliFielding
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel offered everything we needed. Nice, modern and clean room with all the perks. Tremendous coffee and pretty good breakfast at good rates. A good pool, access to the beach and great service all around. Oh, and parking was free. Pretty rare. The price was a bit on the high-end side but after some debating they offered us a much better rate!

Cairns Northern Beaches
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Lovely resort and it seems we were upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom which put us in a great mood for our short break! A few small issues though.... Lots of echoing noise from kids playing in the pool and also not enough pool chairs especially when selfish people would leave their towels on them all day without actually using them. All in all though it's great spot, food was very tasty and we got a great deal thanks to quickbeds!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Certainly in the top 2 resorts at Palm Cove.

Beautiful pool area (with a kids pool, lap pool and lagoon pool) that also serves really reasonable food for lunches etc. We love the location too - right at the southern end of Palm Cove sees a leisurely 10 minute walk into the main part of town which was great to walk off the gorgeous dinners and ice creams!

We had a basic room - more than functional with a large spa bath and nice outdoor area.

No reason not to go back if the price is right. Like all resorts at Palm Cove they are expensive but if you can get a good deal then go for it.

Room Tip: Search multiple websites - there are specials to be found away from the hotel website
Melbourne
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This resort is lovely but if you can't tolerate poor customer service then I recommend you stay away. The majority of staff, (but not all) need to get some good training on how to treat people that are leaving good money at the resort. I was extremely disappointed with my experience as were the majority of people who also stayed here with me during this time.

Room Tip: Don't go for a studio room, they are to tiny
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sarayi Boutique Hotel
Sarayi Boutique Hotel
#9 of 12 in Palm Cove
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas

Been to Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!