All reviews bi fold doors front gate private retreat natural lagoon tree canopy bbq area secure undercover parking fabulous apartment apartments are spacious minute walk overlooking the lagoon main esplanade wonderful hosts lush gardens pool area fully equipped kitchen port douglas
Reviewed May 20, 2008

After lots of research and reading lots of Tripadvisor reviews, we settled on staying at Sanctuary with some trepidation. The rest of our party was staying at Peppers and we really weren't sure whether to stay there of try somewhere else. We ended up trying Sanctuary and were so glad from the minute we checked in.

We stayed in apartment 16, which is a ground floor apartment. All ground floor apartments (there are 2 in each of the 3 blocks of apartments) has extra balcony room which is great for entertaining but probably unnecessary if there are only 2 of you in the apartment. All of the apartments are almost identical (except apartments 22 and 23) and can be hired as either a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. The kitchen was huge and well appointed (the teppenyaki grill got a great work out). The lounge was also huge and comfortable. The bedroom had a king bed and plenty of cupboard space. The bathroom had a double shower and adequate bench/storage space (no bath). I knew I was staying at a fantasic place when I started looking around for problems and the best I could come up with was the "standby" light on the TV in the bedroom was too bright. What a big problem to deal with... The gardens are so well tended too and the managers easy to chat with.

By way of comparison, we visited Peppers Beach Club resort on numerous occasions to see the rest of our party. Our friends were staying in 1 and 2 bedroom "apartments" which were really just large hotel rooms. The pool at Peppers, is, however, far more impressive than the pool at Sanctuary (not only because it has a swim up bar...). But, the pool at Sanctuary is more than adequate and was a lot quieter. We had the pool to ourselves whenever we wanted it.

We booked the day before we arrived directly through the hotel and got the same price as on Wotif (less the $3.85 booking fee).

I guess the downside of Sanctuary is that there is no onsite restaurant and no room service (including room cleaning, although that can be arranged for an extra fee). But, Sanctuary is located so close to the main eating strip on Williams Esplanade that it really doesn't matter and we really didn't mind.

We had a hire car for our 5 day stay but probably didn't need it the whole time. We drive the 3 - 4 minutes to Clifton Beach and went to the Coles supermaket to get some supplies, which was really handy. We also drove the 45 minutes to Port Douglas (on a winding coastal road which was very scenic). I am sure Port Douglas probably has a lot more to offer than Palm Cove in terms of entertainment, but I really don't feel like I needed any more "entertaining" than I had in Palm Cove.

One unexpected bonus of staying at Sanctuary was that you receive free access to the gym at Novotel (which we didn't take up) and 20% of food and drinks at a local restaurant (which we also didn't take up but was a nice touch).

We loved Sanctuary so much that we have decided to marry there in the garden later in the year. We can't wait to share our little oasis with our friends and family.

Date of stay: May 2008
1  Thank MelbourneGirl6
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Loved the resort and its proximity to the beach, jetty and all the fantastic restaurants and bars along the main strip, but what made this holiday extra special was the accommodation unit itself.

Unit 23 is unique in that it's separated from the other units right in prime position within the resort, complete with its own amazing and private outdoor entertaining area which leads towards the pool (whilst not being directly adjacent to the pool to avoid noise issues).

The interior of the unit was impeccable and looked brand new. I especially loved the huge open bench space and kitchen, making bbq's and gourmet holiday eating so much more fun.

All up, I think perhaps this accommodation unit really was a home away from home, but 10 times better!

Date of stay: September 2007
1  Thank MichelleT07
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We stayed at The Sanctuary for a week and cannot praise highly enough the standard of the accomodation in terms of comfort and cleanliness - the apartment was fantastic and soon felt like home. The grounds are beautiful and an absolute credit to the gardener. The pool area is lovely and ideal for families. The Sanctuary is within easy walking distance to the beach, shops and restaurants, and yet secluded and peaceful at all times. Finally, the residential managers, Jane and Scott, were very welcoming, helpful at all times, booked all our daytrips for us and organised our airport transfers, in fact nothing was too much trouble - many thanks to them!! Palm Cove was a wonderful introduction to Australia for us and one day we hope to return. If so, we will definately stay at The Sanctuary.

Date of stay: January 2008
2  Thank kazzy1
Reviewed January 18, 2008

My husband and I recently had a wonderful week staying at the Sanctuary Cove Apartments. We found our apartment 18 extremely comfortable, with everything we needed and more. We also loved the gardens around the apartments beautiful and very well maintained. We spent many hours by the pool beautiful swimming pool which we loved and also I may comment it was extremely clean. The position of the apartments is brilliant as it is only a couple of minutes to great shops and restaurants.

Date of stay: October 2007
1  Thank tolnene
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My husband and I were booked to stay at The Sanctuary in Palm Cove towards the end of October and we must have visited a different place to the reviews on here.

We were both really excited as this was at the end of our hectic travels around Australia and was supposed to be our time to relax for 4 days.

After reading the good reviews on Trip advisor we were shocked at how run down the Sanctuary was. Our room smelt quite badly of damp and there were huge ants everywhere. The rooms were very run down and in need of a refurb. It was tucked down a side road and the pool overlooked what looked like a swamp, I'm sure if we had stayed we would have been bitten alive. The pictures of the Sanctuary on their pamphlets look nothing like what they actually look like.

I was so upset we immediately called Peppers Beach Club which is on the seafront and for little extra cost moved to one of their spa rooms which was paradise in comparison.

On the up side Jane who runs the Sanctuary was quite good about us changing hotels.

I'd definitely recommend staying at one of the hotels along the seafront as its very pretty but the Sanctuary was just not for us.

Date of stay: October 2007