“Tired hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Cairns, Australia
“Tired hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed here to celebrate a night out in Palm Cove from Cairns. I did book a mystery room through wotif, as I though it was just a bed for the night and couldn't be too bad and didn't expect much.
The room was basically clean - but very loud from noise of slamming gate to the pool right near my front door - but was OK as would only sleep here and not expecting much - about an hour after arriving, became very cold in the room but could not find a temperature control - rang reception and was advised this type of room had no temperature control - to open the door (defeats the purpose and security risk on ground floor). I asked if I could move to a room where temperature could be controlled as was now freezing. Advised that only suites had temperature control. Although I found this beyond belief I had to pay for a suite for temperature that was bearable to stay in. Apart from this the hotel is old, chipped and dated fixtures and furnishings - location is a fair hike to the main section of Palm Cove - in summary there are a lot better choices in Palm Cove.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank RubyWoof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Great staff, great hotel. The perfect place to stay to explore the tropical north.
As most hotels are quite expensive in Palm Cove this was the right price point for our little family getaway.
The are two pools, a small bar and restaurant on site however lots of other options just a short walk from the hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Krishna R, Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Riding-Giants,

Thank you for sharing this all-round wonderful review of your recent stay.

I am so pleased to read that the Hotel was such a perfect base from which your family could enjoy Tropical north QLD.

We love hearing feedback from our guests, so thank you, and we hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.

Broken Hill, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a very nice stay during Cyclone Ita . The staff were fiendly and helpful. Breakfast was a bit unorganised as staff had not turned up due to the Cyclone. Overall a nice place to stay, pool area very nice and short walk to the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 28802013
Dear 28802013,

I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, even with Cyclone Ita lurking around!

Thank you for your mention of our friendly staff and convenient location – we hope you make a return trip soon so you may enjoy the spoils of Palm Cove once more.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at the HGC for four days in April, and we overall enjoyed our stay. Had we judged the hotel by the physical property alone, we would not have rated it as high as a 3. We noticed trash in public areas, general wear in most areas, and rather bad cleanliness in our room, especially hairs on the bathroom floor and a very gross, large clump of hair in the tub drain. Also, our room never really lost that musty, damp smell throughout the visit.

What made our stay terrific was the amazing service provided by Jes at the reception desk. She was friendly and warm, and really took a genuine interest in making our stay lovely. She must have called 10 different dive outfitters to help us book a SCUBA trip and was as excited as we were that we found the perfect one! She also helped book babysitting for our one-year-old, tours to Kuranda the following day, and she even helped track us down (twice) when our tour drivers were waiting for us to finish breakfast! Also worthy of mention were Danni, Amy, and Nick, all at reception, and all who went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.

The HGC management should really invest in some more general maintenance of the grounds to ensure that the physical plant matches the tremendous service that the staff provides!

Room Tip: Most rooms have two full-sized beds, and you have to pay extra for a king, and if there is no availa...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MattAndrus
Dear MattAndrus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove experience.
It is wonderful to read that you were so impressed by our staff and that you believe they went above and beyond to ensure the comfort of your stay. We are so proud to have such a dedicated team. I will pass on your kind words and ensure they are commended.

Thank you also for your mention of the hotel and its grounds. I will bring this feedback up with our groundskeeper and Housekeeping Manager to ensure that all staff are performing to our usual high standards. I apologise if this inconvenienced you in anyway.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Ok, it looks pretty impressive upon checkin and even the rooms aren't shabby (reception was really nice in upgrading our room for free as it wasnt busy) but there were plenty of cracks.
There were ants on my bed and in the sink, buffet brekky was mediocre ( ok but not amazing) no cafe or bookshop etc attached to the hotel..I wouldve loved a decent coffee without being forced to walk to the main esplanade..anyhow, still nice and staff were great but might not stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Krishna R, Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear jenaet,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove. I was pleased to hear that you were happy with both the hotel and room’s look and feel.

I was however sorry to hear about the ants you encountered. Sometimes our tropical location can be inviting for insects so we maintain a tight pest control schedule to combat these. If by some chance insects remain, please contact Reception and a staff member will attend to get rid of them for you.

It is a shame that you felt that you were forced to walk to the main esplanade in order to have a coffee. We serve wonderful Vittoria coffee within the restaurant and it is also available from the bar when it opens, as well via room service. I hope you will have the chance to enjoy one on your next visit.

Thank you once again, we do hope that you will consider staying with us once again.

CAIRNS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Revisited The Hotel Grand Chancellor and found the experience most disappointing. Called into the restaurant for breakfast and was eventually asked my room number by the more senior of two female staff on duty. I received no greeting whatsoever, not so much as a good morning! When I indicated that I would be paying cash I was told "stay here". The aforementioned staff member then left, again telling me to "stay there'' while she went to get someone who could use the register. Not an auspicious beginning to say the least!

Upon going to the buffet it became apparent that there was a serious lack of food available. There were no pancakes, bacon or beans with trays or containing remnants of what was originally there. What was there was a dish of shrivelled sausages, half a bowl of fried rice and what appeared to be a few pieces of liver in a very dark sauce. Fruit that was available was ok but not great. The obligatory commercial toaster which does not work was churning away in the corner with a somewhat ordinary selections of breads available for the queuing guests.

I asked the more junior of the female wait staff if I could get two eggs and was told that there would be a five minute wait. The eggs were not forthcoming and I had to get up and seek a staff member who not averting their eyes from patrons and was assister by a fellow by the name of Laclan. Where the other staff members showed a complete lack of interest in their guests needs Laclan attended to my request and apologized for the delay.

I should be said that the aforementioned Laclan was the only saving grace during what was a most disappointing dining experience. As previously mentioned the lack of any sort of greeting and staff who appear to have no interest in catering to guests needs and give the perception of not wanting to be there is simply not acceptable.

The final display of inefficiency and or incompetence was the availability of coffee. There was none! I approached the coffee counter having seen that no buffet coffee was available and when I finally caught the attention of the more senior female staff member I was told "the girl will be back in a minute" and off she went to clear tables. The 'girl' did not come back in a minute and finally Laclan appeared and told we that coffee from this section was an extra four dollars. Apparently this is the case even if no other coffee is available!

I have visited the resort previously and am disappointed at the decline in service in both service and food quality. I have not visited any other Grand Chancellor property however it is hoped this standard of unacceptable service is not the norm for other hotels trading under the Grand Chancellor banner.

I understand that things can go wrong and will revisit in the future. There does however appear to be a culture of staff disinterest and lack of professionalism and this is something which may be more difficult for management to improve than simply ensuring there are full buffets and guests are getting what they pay for.

If you are in Palm Cove for only a short time do yourself a favour and try elsewhere. There are numerous other hotels, resorts. restaurants and cafes competing for the breakfast trade and ay the present time Grand Chancellor is simply not of an acceptable standard.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business