“Palm cove PARADISE”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Palm Cove
Reviewed February 3, 2014

What a great hotel. My wife and I stayed for 7 nights and was blown away by the class and friendliness of the hotel class. The room were great, roomy with all the modern features. Location was great and plenty of things for the kids to do. We are already planning for our next visit at Easter! Thank you to making our family holiday ever so special "hotel grand chancellor palm cove".

Room Tip: Our room was perfect and judging the quality of the rooms, I'd imagine all others would be simil...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Krishna R, Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Scruff78,

Reading your 5 star review has made my day!
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay – I am thrilled that you and your family had such a positive experience. It is even better to read that you will be returning for Easter.

Thank you again; we hope that your next stay will be as wonderfully memorable as this.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here quite a few times over the last couple of years as I have to travel to Cairns for work. I don't really like Cairns so I have stayed in Palm Cove for about the last 18 months. I use to stay here when it was a Novotel and it was always okay and the price was always good. Since it has changed to a Grand Chancellor it is starting to look and feel a lot better. The reception area has been cleaned up, it has been painted, the old dirty rug under the kids play area has gone and they now have two Apple Macs in the lobby for guests to use. I recall the main pool use to look green like a lagoon but this time it was a beautiful blue, I asked one of the staff and they said that the new owners have been actually putting chlorine in the pool. A bit of a worry that the old owners weren't looking after the pool. The staff seem to be a lot friendlier these days, not that they were bad before but the just seen happier now. There was a guy doing breakfast with a strong accent and he was excellent, he pretty much ran the whole time I was in the restaurant. They have got new coffee there now and it is really good. I could never finish my latte on other visits but this time it was sensational. The rooms aren't the flashiest around but the cleaning has improved dramatically which is good as they were only just okay before. I would absolutely recommend this hotel if you are heading up to Palm Cove.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Yazza71

Dear Yazza71,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove!
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that you have noticed the improvements we have been implementing since the take-over. Our staff are making a concerted effort to raise the standard of the Hotel and it is so warming to see that reflected in your comments.

Thank you again for your glowing recommendation – it is much appreciated. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again for your next work trip as well.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the resort a number of years ago and found it quite delightful. The pool was warm and inviting and the ambience was excellent. We ate quite regularily at the V-Bar and the main restauraunt enjoying the benefits of the Advantage Plus dining discounts. Not super cheap at the time but okay once you get the dining discount.
Coming back this year and seeing that it has been renamed or bought out by the new mob, Grand Chancellor, is a big negative as far as we are concerned.
The prices in the V-Bar have gone up, as expected, but far too much. The dining in Canecutters has also gone way up and on both, there is no dining discount with Advantage plus and no incentive to eat there.
4 years ago we spent 10 days and over $1,000 on dining at the resort. Not a snowflakes chance this time around.
I took my young fella to the crocodile pool a couple of times only to find other peoples kids were running rampant. Yes it was the fault of the irresponsible parents for letting thier kids climb on the rocks, jump off the rocks nearly onto mine. Climbing up the water slide stopping my son from going down, skylarking at the base of the slide causing all sorts of issues. And on seperate times with seperate "demon spawn".
Not where I want to take my well behaved child.
There is no one to even check on the pool behaviour. If I ran the place, one person could watch and deal out 1 hour or better time-outs to the misbehaving kids, (and maybe 2 hours to the irresponsible parents.)
The internet. Meh.
This is our third holiday to Cairns/Palm Cove but this place is quickly losing our vote.
Major attention needs to be devoted to providing "much" better value to keep customers coming back.
We love Palm cove and Far North Queensland and have had a great time with many other places. Not really happy to speak poorly of a place but some places need a wee bit of hard love, or a poke, to lift their game.

Room Tip: Best rooms might be found somewhere else
1  Thank KevHC

Dear KevHC,

Thank you for review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove.
I was disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay did not come up to your expectations. I would like to clarify the comment about suggested price increases. Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove took over the property in December of last year and we have not introduced any price increases from when the Hotel was part of the Accor chain. Our restaurant does not accept the Advantage Plus card however there are many places within close proximity that do.

It was also disheartening to read about your experience at the crocodile pool. Parents are required to supervise their children and assume responsibility for their behaviour in the pool area. I apologise if this did not occur while you were in the vicinity. In the future please feel free to report any bad behaviour to our friendly staff who will be more than happy to assist. Our staff also do perform regular patrols of the pool area to make sure all is well.

Thank you again for your feedback, I do hope that you will return to Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove for a better experience in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for 5 nights and wernt satisfied at all. We were told we could check in before the check in time but every time we went to check in they said 'another half an hour'. We knew which room we were in and for the 4 hours we were waiting, not one person went in there. Then 4 hours later when it was 2pm they said 'yep they have just finished'....lies.....
when we got in the room there was no mini bar, no bowls, spoons, forks or anything. We had to request these. our tv had poor reception and would often switch off! The pool was so hot but that is not there fault! the weather makes it hot! doesnt refresh you at all!!! there were about 2 or 3 staff that were fab! overall id pay a bit more to stay in a nicer place......also gym and 25m pool and tennis court are extra costs of about 9 dollars....the gym is pretty old and terrible so id avoid it! also we had extra charges on our bill, so always check!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Krishna R, Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear 238victorias,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I apologise if you were told that you were able to check in earlier and this did not occur. The Hotel’s check in time is 2pm; although in some instances where the room is ready, check in may be permitted earlier. We are happy to store guest’s luggage until check-in if they arrive early so that you are free to explore the surrounds.

Our rooms do not have a minibar as all essentials are easily available for purchase from the Micro Bar in Reception. All rooms should however have utensils, and I apologise that these were not present in the room.

I note that you mentioned that guests have to pay to use facilities. I believe you are referring to the neighbouring leisure club which is not part of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove property. Our property has two great swimming pools for guests to beat the heat but it is a shame Palm Cove’s tropical climate didn’t appeal to you.

Thank you again for your comments. I do hope that you return to the hotel for a more positive stay again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was up from Brisbane with my two young children to visit family who live in the area. We all had the great idea of taking a relaxing break in a 4* hotel at Palm Cove and chose the Grand Chancellor Hotel - what a MISTAKE! Upon arrival, we had to wait 10 minutes at check-in while a disgruntled hotel guest was expressing their list of concerns whilst checking out. Only one staff member was working at reception and saw no reason to call for assistance. When we finally got to our check-in, we were informed that despite requesting two rooms close together (for the uninitiated this hotel sprawls across a large area split by a road), the allocated rooms were at opposite ends of the complex. The manager was called and finally resolved - rather unsatisfactorily - to allocate our parties rooms at the opposite ends of the same half of the complex at an additional cost to us. We arrived at our room to find that it smelt musty, the bathroom was absolutely gross (picture chipped tiles, rust stains around the door frame, a stained white bathroom vanity)... and a soiled toilet. Housekeeping staff responded promptly to a request to clean the soiled toilet, but this is not the point. Guests expect a fresh, clean room upon arrival. Also, we had to remain in our room with the balcony door closed because of the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke from at least one if not two of the "non-smoking" rooms next door. We dined (lunch and dinner) at the 'V Bar'. The one staff member working at the bar was extremely hard-working but was clearly overwhelmed by the requirement to take food orders, serve drinks and then rush from the bar to the restaurant to collect meals to be served (leaving the bar unattended). As a result, service is slooowwwww. When we returned for dinner, we found that the tables had not been wiped down from lunch (we found our nephews' squashed chips from lunch still on and under the table). Also, the arms of the chairs were all sticky (yuck). Breakfast served in the restaurant the next morning was no better. Our party was "greeted" by two quite unfriendly staff leaning on the front desk who did little more than ask our room number and failed to explain the buffet or even be superficially pleasant. We ate breakfast surrounded by dirty plates and bowls that piled up for 20 minutes before a new staff member appeared and cleaned them away. The experiences of my family were stellar compared with the two other families also staying at the hotel. We simply could not wait to escape from our "hotel from hell".

2  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Novotel taken over by Grand Chancellor sometime prior to Christmas break. Lunch booking made with Novotel with no correspondance regarding change of management. Found out about change when booked accommodation, assurance given on check-in that Xmas lunch bookings OK. Accommodation very tired looking and in need of refurbishment. VERY small and fridge not chilling food enough in our tropical climate. Resturant management on the day very poor, not enough seating for our party, made feel like we were trying to sneak extra numbers in when asked to produce our confirmation emails which were presented then not even looked at. Directed to wait on verandah, needed to request beverages while staff set extra tables. Once seated, meal was lovely and the waiting staff particularly Diane where terrific. Airconditioning in resturant not adequate.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sharon B,

I would like to apologise if you did not receive notification regarding the change of hotel ownership. We did strive to communicate this to our contactable guests and I apologise that this did not occur for you. I would also like to apologise for the confusion with your Christmas day booking and am glad the day ended smoothly for you with a great meal and service. I will be sure to pass your praise on to the relevant staff.

Thank you for your feedback, it is most valued and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again soon.