“Great value and location”

The Reef Retreat Palm Cove
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Reef Retreat is very well located. Although not on the beach itself, it is little more than a stones throw away from it (probably just under 100 metres walk to the sand itself) and we could hear the waves from our room. It is also a short walk to the restaurants that are placed up and down Palm Cove. There is no need to bring your own beach towels - the hotel will happily provide them to you when you are heading to the beach.

There is plenty of parking (either in parking spaces at the hotel or on the street).

The rooms are comfortably appointed - we stayed in the basic room and it had a spa bath, good TV, fridge, stove, comfortable bed, etc. The kitchen is located in a balcony style room, which can be sealed off from the rest of the apartment by closing a glass door, but the kitchen itself is "open air" although can be made private by lowering privacy screen type bamboo blinds.

The hotel itself is spread out around a pool / garden / BBQ court yard at the centre. If you want a completely peaceful "escape" then I recommend paying a little bit extra for the rooms which are located on a higher floor away from the pool area. We found that it could get a little noisy from time to time during the day in our ground floor room near the pool when the children of hotel guests were playing in the pool (albeit, only if the bedroom window and kitchen glass door were open and because our room was one of those located very close to the pool itself).

I'd happily stay again if visiting Palm Cove.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Clive and Mary R, Owner/Managers at The Reef Retreat Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for your feedback tripster_aus we appreciate your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Our superior spa apartments overlook the pool and gardens and while the majority of the time the resort has mostly adults stay, over school holiday periods we are likely to have children on site with their families.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just spent two nights there, what a great place, staff were more than accommodating, rooms great, nice ambience although weather wasn't great, but in heart of Palm cove and within walking distance of everything, couldn't ask for more. Food at restaurant was exceptional and very accommodating. Great pool areas and a wonderful quiet lounge area for those who up just want to read and absorb themselves.

Thoroughly recommend. Part of the Accor group, so for those who have Accor advantage an added plus.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at the Reef Retreat in the first week in July and would definitely go back. The position is excellent; just off the esplanade and 1 minute across the road to the beach; very quiet. Shops and restaurants are close by. We had a one bedroom apartment which was quite adequate with good beds and bathroom, televisions, lounge/kitchenette and a great balcony. Everything is well maintained. We loved the tropical feel of the timber shutters and screens. The heated lagoon style pool is perfect and is surrounded by the most magnificent trees. It is perfectly peaceful.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you don' like stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Many thanks for your review 69Maria, we are pleased that your week at the Reef Retreat was peaceful and that you enjoyed the tropical ambiance here. We appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Reef Retreat for a couple of days to get away (we are locals from Gordonvale) the rooms were clean and welcoming..staff were helpful and nice...the outdoor spa and lights in the trees with that amazing BBQ deck wow...will be back

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra L

Many thanks Sandra L for your review, it is good to receive positive feedback from our locals and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My first trip to Palm Cove and this hotel exceeded my expectations. Don't be fooled by the fact that it is not the beach. The beach is literally a 30 second walk across the street. It is off the main road which means less traffic and noise. Spacious rooms with contemporary appointments. Located at the less touristy end of the beach--it felt more upscale than the other end. Really enjoyed my 4 days there and would recommend this for everyone. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. I woudl not categorise this as a "boutique hotel", but it felt like it. Quite and secluded.

Room Tip: I was in room #1--it was a studio and there was more than enough space for 2 people to exist without...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine S

Many thanks Christine S for your positive review, it is always good to exceed expectations and we all try our best in this regard. Our thanks for sharing the best kept secret with the TripAdvisor community!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I spent six days at the Reef Retreat in June this year, and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The facilities are fantastic, we enjoyed the warm pool and great BBQ area most evenings. The rooms were clean and modern, and service was faultless. Walking distance to everything. We can't wait to go back to Palm Cove and look forward to staying at Reef Retreat again. Thanks Clive for your hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your kind review Jeff B and look forward to welcoming you back to Reef Retreat.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

A spontaneous 5 day escape from the chilling winter in Sydney proved to be a brilliant idea. The Reef Retreat came highly recommended by my travel agent. The agent advised me that Palm Cove was the better location over Port Douglas as it was friendlier, had a great strip of cafes and restaurants within walking distance from the retreat. My agent was right on all counts. My one bedroom, spacious apartment with King size bed was extremely comfortable and very clean. I enjoyed the luxury of having Foxtel movies on my plasma. Eating breakfast on my own personal balcony overlooking the leafy green tree lined pool area, I caught up on lots of reading in the privacy of my balcony which caught the morning and afternoon sun. The fully appointed kitchette has a microwave, electric jug, a ceramic cooktop, fridge and sink. I also thought the blue strobe lighting over the pool area in the evenings added to the ambience and gave it a magical feel. My room had a large spa bath which I only used twice as the pool area had a fabulously warm Jacuzzi which I put to good use. With my cheeky red glass of vino I was in heaven. The pool is one of the greatest assets of the retreat as it was heated to a comfortably warm temperature. Unlike the other top resorts where due to the cool weather I noticed no one was using the pool. Such a pretty leafy setting with white and purple orchids growing on the trunks of the Melaluca trees, comfortable lounge chairs around the pool and a huge barbeque pit in the rear, with 2 huge lounge areas under white sails. Clive and Mary couldn't do enough for me to make my stay memorable and totally relaxing. The beach was only moments from the retreat. I recommend you catch the bus in to nearest shopping centre if you intend using the kitchen as bottled water and food items come at a premium in the local deli's. Recommend you have a massage at the Thai Massage room upstairs in the shopping area. Highly recommend this well maintained, more private, secret hideaway as the perfect choice for yourself and your children, as they will love the heated pool which non of the other hotels offer. The ocean was very rough and windy during my stay so the sunny pool area was a G-d send. I will be back....thank you Clive and Mary!

Room Tip: I liked the higher floor units overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank DaliaSoultraveller
Clive and Mary R, Owner/Manager at The Reef Retreat Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Thank you for your kind and detailed review DaliaSoultraveller, the heated pool is a wonderful asset and it is lovely to see our guests enjoy the pool and spa during the day and into the evening. Thank you for mentioning the orchids, we had them planted on the trees 5 years ago, and it is good to see the tlc Clive gives them has been rewarded with an especially beautiful display this year.