“5 star food, so so service”
Review of Nu Nu Restaurant

Nu Nu Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 60 Restaurants in Palm Cove
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013

First things first, couldn't fault the food. Possibly the best meal I had in my two weeks at Cairns. My baked oysters were lovely, and my fish main was excellent, as was my dessert. Just outstanding.
Unusual set up, with this being the middle of three restaurants, separated only partly by clear canvas walls.
But, the main problem with this place is the menu and the service. My Dad and I both found the menu confusing (Bright and Light, Robust and Bold, Big Gear.....come on!). Whatever happened to entrees, mains and desserts? But not here. The serving sizes weren't clear and the surly waiter wasn't much help early on. After several questions of the barely helpful waiter, we ordered our 'entrees' and 'mains'. We clearly when ordering specified what we wanted. So they bring out our mains first. I said to the waitress that we hadn't received our entrees yet. She took our mains back and then bought out our entrees.......immediately followed by the waiter returning with our mains! He said due to confusion with the ordering system, he hadn't specified which was our entrees and mains! So all of a sudden we had our entrees and mains at the same time!
When it came time to order our dessert, we had more questions. A menu item that says 'Dark Chocolate, Peanut and Salty Caramel' doesn't sound much, but when explained by the waiter who had finally thawed somewhat, what it entailed, sounded really scrumptious. And it was.
As I said, I couldn't fault the food. It really was excellent. But the whole experience left me a little drained. Certainly not for young kiddies.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,325)

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Came here a few years ago and was blown away - couldn't wait to return this week - and was really disappointed. As with other reviews, portions are tiny - no way they can be shared - and hugely overpriced - the prawn dish priced at about $18 had two prawns!! Pork was overcooked and bland and the duck while tasty was tiny serve and tepid. I'm going to stop recommending this to people after a disappointing return.

As an aside - the service was fantastic and they welcome young children so a positive to be fair and balanced.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Firstly, after reading some of the misguided reviews below, I feel obliged to add the caveat: For those that enjoy eating at Sizzler or have 4 kids in tow, consider the Surf Club or Pizza joint instead.

I am not sure if Nu Nu's is the best restaurant in Australia, but it would certainly come very close. This is certainly the pinnacle of fine dining in Queensland and its 'one hat' status underrates the quality of the experience that we enjoyed. The spectacular scenery and relaxed decor was only outdone by the memorable food, adorned by the most exquisite flavours, sauces and spices.

This restaurant was recommended by a chef from Port Douglas that we met on the way to Palm Cove. We fell in love with this restaurant after the first dishes and it only got better, returning several times over the course of a short stay at Peppers. Having tried many of the dishes, the highlights were the 1.2kg T-bone served in a bowl with an exquisite sauce and baby onions ($68); the tomato salad with fresh walnuts, dehydrated olives and buffalo cheese ($16); fresh lemon bread ($8); fresh prawns with a green sauce that was like avocado with a hint of wasabi, either way it was spectacular ($24). Be prepared, some of the dishes in the $20 range are small, for example the prawn dish only has 3 prawns. Though coming from a Sydney based seafood fan, these were the freshest most succulent prawns that I have ever had the privilege to taste. The list goes on with.... Pork belly, red emperor, fresh beans & almonds, crusted pork ribs, mud crab....

The service was friendly and engaging, yet found that balance with privacy and service. The couches at the front of the restaurant with the sea breeze were spectacular - i could have stayed the night, especially with a passionfruit souffle with mint ice cream sitting in front of me. My partner had the dark chocolate, which was just as memorable.

This restaurant is a must for any couple heading to Palm Cove, both for lunch and dinner. As a male carnivore, i surprisingly became addicted to the tomato salad and lemon bread. We tried the Beach Almond up the street based on the Trip Advisor reviews and Nu Nu's leaves it in its wake.

2  Thank Jesterinoz
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The dishes are meant to be shared and they are quite small however they were beautifully presented and the flavour was fantastic. We had the lemon bread which was salty and delicious followed by the duck curry which i thought was delicious, mu partner had beetroot braised beef fillet which was also delicious, we followed this with dessert of passionfrut soufflé with lemon meringue ice cream and mini donuts. We are not big eaters so the meal was sufficient for us and we thoroughly enjoyed it, service was very good. If you are hungry i suggest you order maybe 3/4 dished per couple. Highly recommended. Book to get a nice table away from the centre aisle.

1  Thank jess493
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had to wait about 20 - 25 minutes for the waitress to come to ask if we wanted drinks. Very small main courses, which we were not warned about. The smallest portions that we have ever been served in a restaurant. We had the duck and the barramundi. The duck was supposed to be a curry, but on the plate was a tiny amount of duck coated with a minimal amount of sweetish tasting sauce. There was an eggcup amount of rice to go with the supposed curry. Come on, how expensive is rice? Don't be miserly, Nu Nu.
The fish dish was bland and the presentation on the black squid ink unappetising . The fish was supposed to be garnished with squid, but the squid rings were microscopic and there was not much of either the fish or the squid. We could not believe the poor standard of the tasteless fish dish . We will not return to Nu Nu.

2  Thank Dusty S