“Best restaurant in Cairns”
Review of Colonies At The Cove - CLOSED

Colonies At The Cove
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Cairns
“Best restaurant in Cairns”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We have been to this restaurant many times, including with many guests from out of state and overseas. All have raved about the food quality, the size of the meals (talk about value for money), the service (unlike many areas in Cairns the service here is friendly, prompt and easy going). When you want the ultimate dining experience with a world class menu, this is the only place to go.

Sydney
“Don't bother .... Crazy prices for substandard food.”
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We just arrived back at our hotel after eating dinner at Colonies. I am never one to write a restaurant review, but this meal was so shocking I simply had to share with others in the hope that people will stay clear of Colonies.I would always prefer to get a suggestion from a friend with regards to restaurants , so here is my suggestion. give colonies a big miss.
Why - it is great sounding food on the menu, but what translates on the plate is not so. I ordered fish cakes and had been really looking forward to these. They were tasteless small balls of goodness only knows what and the garnish was tasteless day old lettuce. I didn't finish these they were so bad - despite being really hungry. My husband ordered BBQ seafood - well this arrived after a considerable wait, and was strangely covered in a yellow cream sauce . Not at all what we had expected or as it had been described. For the forty dollar price tag, it was very disappointing and not at all BBQ seafood. We are Australians who have eaten at many restaurants in Australia and overseas and I felt embarrassed that overseas visitors would think this represented good Aussie fine dining.
There are so many great restaurants in Palm Cove so simply enjoy them and pass by Colonies. I DO HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS MAKE AN INFORMED CHOICE.

2 Thank Ausrod
Melbourne, Australia
“Absolutley Delicious!!! :)”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We dined at the restaurant last week and I have to say that it was the BEST meal that I had in Palm Cove. Service was excellent and our meal was delicious!!! I would highly recommend the oven baked kalambaca lamb it was soooo tasty!!!

Wellington, New Zealand
“Don't miss the Colonies”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had a thoroughly pleasant meal at the Colonies. The courtyard in the shopping centre, full of tourists shopping at the supermarket or the boutiques by day, turns into a pleasant dining area by night. Sitting outside at the Colonies, we had a surprisingly nice meal. Admittedly (from another review) the lobster linguine sounded divine but was I thought too expensive, but the lamb rump was really excellent, perfectly cooked, tender and flavourful. Had we stayed longer, we'd probably have returned to try some other things on the menu. The dessert menu looked particularly nice - and had a large selection (we noticed people having coffee and cake there around 5 pm) - but we couldn't manage any dessert the night we were there.

Melbourne, Australia
“Barramundi with Moreton Bay Bugs - Divine!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I would like to share with you my most amazing dining experience. In Palm Cove there is a multitude of fine eateries, but there is one nestled away from the main street that tops them all. My then fiance and I stumbled across Colonies and decided to give it a go. I ordered the Barramundi with Moreton Bay Bugs, champagne sauce accompanied by Kipfler potatoes.
This dish was amazing. I informed the waiting staff to please pass on my compliments to the chef. We were 'gutted' to find Colonies closed in March (for our wedding) for their annual holidays. In exactly 7 weeks and 1 day we will be back in Palm Cove with our gorgeous daughter and can't wait to visit again. Please have this dish on the menu!!!!!