“Great little restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne
“Great little restaurant”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Ate here on a wet and windy night, had to ask for the café blind to be put down, then very cosy.
Service was good, friendly waitress. Food option was good. Quite busy this night. I had a green curry which was mild after that was suggested by the waitress, very tasty. My husband had fish which also very good. It was nicely tucked away from the wild wet windy esplanade.

• Visited July 2013

“Great food, unfriendly waitress”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just now read the other reviews and have come to the conclusion that the waitress must have split personality! Some people thought she was friendly and funny, others thought she was rude and inhospitable. We just got back from eating there and we got the dr. Jeckal side. Although the food was impeccable and we enjoyed every bite, she was the least friendly waitress we've had. She plopped the menus down, never once said anything friendly. Never, " how are your meals?, or are you enjoying your food, how's your holiday? Etc. they are in the hospitality business, surely they should be able to make conversation! Two other restaurants we went to had exceptional wait staff, you would think they would try and keep up instead of relying on the food to carry them. Two older women came in with a table reserved, she showed them their table and walked off before they were even seated! Are you kidding me! The younger waitress came in half way thru the service but wasn't much better. A big thumbs down, although she was fast and efficient her non personable personality had us bewildered.

• Visited July 2013
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were thrilled to find this little gem of a place, tucked away off the main esplanade in a little walk way. Bustling & very busy, we were happy we managed to be seated at a nice table on the terrace without having booked. Despite the 'busy-ness' (only two waitresses), we were served quite quickly & I really appreciated their patience with my endless questions about the menu due to my many food intolerances - the older waitress went out of her way to accommodate me & nothing was too much trouble, despite her being flat out - & she didn't make me feel like I was being a pain, like a lot of places do! - The Bug entrée we shared was absolutely fantastic - & my main meal, the special 'Barramundi topped with lime prawns' was really up there with the best I've had. My partners fillet steak was melt-in -your -mouth stuff.....great tasting quality food at last - we hadn't been totally impressed with our other dining experiences up there - all very average & expensive. We finished with a homemade apple pudding which was just delightful. The bill was $150 including wine- the most reasonable on the whole holiday - & totally the best place we ate at. The service was quick, unobtrusive & prompt even though it seemed chaotic - & the two waitresses had great senses of humour which created a good atmosphere in the place along with the good music they had playing (daggy boring music everywhere else)!. We just happened to stumble across this little place, you wouldn't really know it was there though. Great little find. Loved it. Good value. Best food up there.

• Visited June 2013
Highland Park, Illinois
“Great Food Horrible Service”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I am so torn in writing this review. The food was outstanding but the service was just horrible.

We stopped by the night before, checked out the menu and made a reservation for 7:30 pm. We arrived the next night at the appointed reservation time and happily our table was waiting for us. Unfortunately that's where any modicum of service ended. We took our place at the table, the waitress whizzed by and dropped a couple of menus on the table. Not so much as a howdy do. No water was offered and no offer to take a drink order. We waited for twenty minutes for her to come back to the table. She finally arrived and wanted to know if we were ready to order. Still not a smile or ounce of friendliness. We ordered the lobster cocktail (bugs) to share, one pasta with seafood and one Thai Green Curry. (We also finally were able to ask for some water and also ordered one lemon lime bitter) We then waited and waited and waited for any food to arrive. Finally around 8:45 the lobster cocktail arrived. It was very good. I really enjoyed the dipping sauce that accompanied it. Then we again waited and waited and waited. The stern waitress arrives and tells us five minutes till our dinners. We wait and wait and wait. Well more than five minutes. The mains arrived finally around 9:15!!!! My husband made a mention as to the wait and the waitress said " Well it's the end of the evening and we've had to serve 72 people tonight!" I don't think that was appropriate in the least. Not my problem that they book more people than they can accommodate in a reasonable fashion.

On the positive side, the food was remarkable. Besides the lobster cocktail the pasta dish was perfection. The pasta cooked just right, as were all the fishes! The Thai green curry was so good. I understand why they bring you a spoon with the dish; you just have to slurp up all the yummy coconut curry broth.

One final word of warning, if you plan to use a credit card to pay there is a $2 convenience charge added to the bill.

• Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Palm Cove Dining”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice place to enjoy a meal out on a balmy night. Elevated restaraunt across the road from the beach in the centre of Palm Cove.
Meals are not cheap but not over priced either. The range in Palm Cove is from takeaway to 5 star dining and every thing in between.
Meals are well presented,ours was $75 p/p for 3 course with a bottle of white wine.

Visited May 2013