“Best meal in palm cove!!”
Review of Colonies At The Cove - CLOSED

Colonies At The Cove
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Had a weeks holiday in palm cove. Great - different restaurant every night - that's what holidays are for! Last night went to colonies purely on spec and look of menu. Menu turned out to be very classy. Credit to chef. Really good meal finished off great holiday.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

This is a restaurant I would go back to again and again. The food was great, nice fresh ingredients and cooked to order. The restaurant was cosy, relaxed and personal. Service was friendly and accommodating.

Really enjoyed the Bay lobster linguine (aka Thenus Orientalis, flathead lobster, bay lobster or more colloquially moreton bay bug! - sorry couldn't stop myself after reading one of the other reviews - lucky we're Australian and know that ;o) )

The wine list is not extensive but has some very nice options, we were quite happy with the house white.

It was a great place to have our romantic dinner, and we never felt rushed with time to enjoy and digest each course before the next was served.

Highly recommended

Reviewed May 29, 2011

We spent a very nice NYE at Colonies about 4 years ago and we were back in Palm Cove so we though we would eat there again.
From memory the food we had 4 years ago was great and the staff were very friendly and helpful and I am glad to say that my memory didn't fail me as we had a wonderful meal there on the weekend.
We had the barramundi which was cooked to perfection and was wonderfully tasty and we also had the Lobster/Bug linguini which was easily the BEST linguini I have ever tasted.
I am always a bit hesitant about ordering linguini as it is often just spaghetti with mussels and a watery sauce (which I could do at home!) but the linguini at Colonies was absolutely amazing.
It had so much flavour and each mouthful just melted in our mouth.
We decided to be a bit dacadent and finish with some desert and we ordered the mudcake with cream which was home made by the owner Nicola. The mudcake was as good as I have ever tasted and capped off an absolutely beautiful meal at a lovely restaurant.
At the end of the night we chatted with the owners, Nicola and Simon and it was obvious that they really care about what they do and that they are passionate about giving great value for money and creating a relaxed but very professional dining experience for their customers.
We will certainly be back to Colonies when we are next in Palm Cove and will tell everyone we know about how good it is!

Reviewed February 3, 2011

It was my 30th birthday while I was in Palm Cove and chose carefully where I wanted to eat as there are some really posh restaurants there it makes it a hard decision!

I thought this place looked my kind of place, rustic feel, great relaxed atmosphere & a really good menu, lots to chose from.

I ordered a lychee mojito which was yummy! It's BYO too & $4.50 pp for corkage. Then for dinner we both ordered barramundi & mash with lime corriander prawns for $32. The beure blanc sauce was absolutely delicious and mash was great too. All in all it was really good quality food.

I had the banoffee pie for dessert which is my most favourite dessert so I had very high expectations.....OMG!!! The best ever - it was presented so nice I didn't want to disturb it, but of course I did!! A toffee tartlet, fresh bananas, banana ice cream & cream..and some blueberries to make you feel like you're having 2 of your 5-a-day!!!

I would highly recommend this place, you'd be missing out if you didn't go!

Reviewed January 1, 2011

We have been to this restaurant many times, including with many guests from out of state and overseas. All have raved about the food quality, the size of the meals (talk about value for money), the service (unlike many areas in Cairns the service here is friendly, prompt and easy going). When you want the ultimate dining experience with a world class menu, this is the only place to go.