“Our favourite restaurant in a Palm Cove”
Review of Portofino

Portofino
Ranked #5 of 59 Restaurants in Palm Cove
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A family friendly italian restaurant serving only the best local produce. Italian food with an innovative twist. Enjoy al fresco dining opposite beautiful Palm Cove beach. Dine in or takeaway. Fully licensed bar. Restaurant is available for functions and off site catering.
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

As we love Italian food, we were instantly drawn to this restaurant. We arrived in late on a Friday evening and we were greeted warmly and enjoyed our first of 4 meals we had there during our weeks stay. The place is very busy so book if you can, but if you have to wait a while, it's worth it. The wait staff are lovely and very engaged with their customers. We had a lovely chat with the owner who works hard to make his guests happy. We'll be back again next time we visit beautiful Palm Cove.

1  Thank Sue B
There are newer reviews for Portofino

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Portobello is a strange place. I really can't put my finger on it. While the food and preparation speed is above average (reason I gave four stars), I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't give it five.

One reason might be price. Its expensive, however this doesn't stop it filling up every night and its FULL most nights from 630pm.

I've been twice now and while the service is speedy, its somewhat detached. Its not bad in any way, but I think the aim is to serve you as quickly as possible and get the next table in. I'm sure I'm being grossly unfair, but you never really feel entirely welcome.

I've been twice, so obviously it hasn't put us off, however given the price, I would have expected a little more connection. $70 is not cheap for large sparkling water, one adult main, one child's main and one ice cream for the kids to share. The kids get lots of pens and with the table cloths covered in paper, they had barrels of fun.

Summary: I would recommend Portobello if visiting Palm Cove. At the end of the day, the food is great and that should be enough to visit...but don't expect it to be a cheap night out.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

After looking around at a few different restaurants in Palm Cove, we decided to have our anniversary dinner at Portobellos. This was a good decision for many reasons. One of the best meals we've ever had, great wine, great service, brilliant venue. The place is run by an Italian family, led by the elder of the clan - he makes sure that it runs like clockwork and that the guests are looked after. Watching how the place was run was almost as good as the meal. I can't say enough about the Portobello, just perfect.

1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a wonderful meal at Portobello. Although the waitress initially got our order wrong, she was most apologetic and they certainly made up for it with a few 'on the house' items, which we didn't ask for. The meals we ordered were brilliant. It was our second time at this restaurant in three nights. Would recommend highly.

1  Thank Marto65
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Apalling service, mistakes over orders for children which were not even acknowledged. Despite asking repeatedly for a child's margarita pizza which never came to the table despite waiting for over an hour. They kept telling us it was coming when clearly it was not even in the oven! My son could have made his own pizza quicker from scratch. They then had the audacity to present the bill for the rest of the order with the price of the missing pizza included. No apology at all, no attempt to make good. They offered my very hungry son a piece of bread with oil instead. After waiting longer and watching meals coming out to all other tables who had arrived long after us we walked out in disgust. A complete waste of money and the worst service we have had anywhere in the world. Don't waste your time or money on this place. All it has going for it is the location. It is difficult to imagine how the service or management response to a genuine complaint could have been worse than it was on this occasion.

2  Thank NPWLondon