We stayed here as part of an APT 4WD tour group. I do sympathise with the reviewer who complained about tour guides briefing their groups in the restaurant; we were embarrassed that this was done, despite the inconvenience to other diners.
The tent was good: roomy and comfortable. However, some kind of storage facility would have been useful: we used the two single beds as "wardrobes", but if a family was staying the tent and using all the beds, there would be nowhere to put anything except on the floor. Fortunately the resort provides porterage, as it's heck of a walk to some of the tents.
It was wonderful waking up to birdsong and walking around the resort in the early morning. The Emma Gorge walk is terrific, though you do need to be reasonably fit.
The meals weren't great. Of course it's difficult catering for groups, especially in a remote location (one morning there was no full-cream milk, because the supply truck hadn't come in!). But the buffet breakfasts and dinners we had were tired and bland. The descriptions of the salads sounded great when the waitperson recited them; but they all tasted dull and samey. The restaurant supervisor was grumpy and rude, almost seeming to resent having diners cluttering the place up. The resort manager had never heard of the El Questro bird list, so we had to show here the section in the resort newsletter where it was proudly trumpeted as available ... it took three requests to get hold of this list, which should be immediately available.
It's fair to say they were under some pressure: APT itineraries were all changing because of the Gibb River Road closure, so they had groups staying for three nights instead of one. But surely this is a bonus rather than a problem. Service could and should have been warmer and smarter.
That said, the location is unrivalled, so I'm glad to have stayed there. Maybe there's an issue with complacency; but this place could be so much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden within the fiery red of El Questro’s Cockburn Ranges lies the spectacular Emma Gorge Resort, with excellent facilities for the whole family. Emma Gorge Resort offers comfortable tented cabins, each with their own private facilities. Shaded pathways link the tented cabins with the restaurant, pool and bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and Agoda so you can book your Emma Gorge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emma Gorge Hotel Kununurra
- Emma Gorge Resort Kununurra, Australia - Western Australia