“Amazing property, brilliant location”
Review of The Berkeley River

The Berkeley River
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having just returned from the Berkely River I can only say this is a truly special little gem of a destination.
Its facilities are all brand new and function in fine form, as is the attitude and can-do spirirt of the exceptional staff and managment. Among its many highlights are the food & beverage service (amazing quality and the cooking style and techniques enlisted by Chef Jimmy seemed more reflective of a high end Sydney restaurant... and this is about the most remote place in the country!)

A very respectable wine list served with the very knowledgable assistance of Marty the Maitre'D made dining a joy.The rooms all have king beds, are spotless and have a sea view and what a view! Long white beaches, and nobondy...read NOBODY on them! This is seriously remote luxury.

Another highlight was the river cruise under the care of Captain Karl a veritable mountain of a main (apparenyl he's 6ft 9 inches in the old money!). Great attention to detail on this cruise including croc sightings, cold beer, chilled champagne, tasty smoked salmon and cold chicken lunch and most important plenty of shade and an on-board loo!), All repleat with swimming in fresh water pools and showering under waterfalls, amazing! I can only imagine the magic of this place in the wet season?

Only someone with enormous courage, energy and inspired vision could create this place, in this place! Australia is all the better for it.
Go there!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ron S

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Well having read the last 15 reviews I can only agree with all of them A truly Unique 5 star expereince in the most remotest part of Australia I would suggest

The staff are first class, nothing is to much trouble and the meals are some of the finest in taste and presentation one would expect in a fine dinining expereince in a capital city

The room is something else , aircon if you want it but a cieling fan and the open tiinted louvre windows sufficed my needs and what a view to wake up to

Activities, 6 hours up the river with anexperinced naturalist and boat skipper with a nice lunch and a swim above the falls away from the inhabitants of the river, a nature experience at its best

I could go on but you get the drift, asuperb stay well worth the tariff with all the inclusions

Brian P Bunbury WA

Room Tip: look up the website its really good
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We recently spent four nights at the Berkeley River Lodge and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff are excellent, location awesome and the food to die for.Probably not a great location for children, as there are limited things to keep them occupied, but a great escape for an adult break. Fishing, walking, start gazing and generally recharging the batteries. Do take something warm as the evenings can be cool in the dry season.

Room Tip: All of the villas are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We spent 4 nights at The Berkeley and that wasn't long enough. The service, food and location were fantastic. We had long walks along the Beach, boat cruises on the river and even a hamper lunch at a water-hole. There is a helicopter for hire at the property so you can explore further along the Kimberley and even do some Heli- fishing if you like. We took advantage of the chopper for a flight while we were there and our excellent Pilot, Jim , took us to some amazing places, even landing on top of a waterfall, for lunch. We will definately go back to The Berkeley, maybe at the end of The Wet next time. Thanks again 'Guys', for such a wonderful experience. Sandy F

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandy F
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I spent one night here as part of a media group( I am not media) which was definately not long enough. We barely had time to have a quick look and I am devastated that I didn't get to have a bath in that magnificent tub. Maybe next time!
The coffee machine in the room was perfect to grab a quick coffee after a days exploring, and drink it on the balcony of the chalet.. Enjoying the peace and view. I found the room very clean and well appointed.
You have to remember that you are really in the middle of no where here and what they have built is truly remarkable.
The night time drinks on the beach and astrology talk was fabulous, and I really loved the short explore up the beach to see the soldier crabs.
We went on the boat up to the creek To have lunch at the clearest rock pool and waterfall I have ever seen. Which brings me to the food! We had picnic lunch - yum, dinner- one of the best I have ever had, and a quick snack before we flew out in the morning of muffins and friand. I wanted more of all.
Overall, I loved my stay here and hope to come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Why bother going to the remote Berkeley River if it isn`t to get away from TV phones internet& SPAS.We had three days there & loved the whole experience & certainly didn`t sit on our butts finding faults with everything. Our adventure started day1 a helicopter from kununurra over the Ord,mud flats gulf &coast into the Berkeley,welcomed by the staff,abeach walk,lunch&3hr bush drive.Day2 an all day boat cruise,great scenery,waterfalls freshwater swimming&natural SPA(no crocs or sharks),picnic lunch & one of us caught a barra. Day3our day started with a beach drive then fishing,swimming picnicing & rockhopping by helicopter for 6hrs Watched the moon rise & the stars appear while having drinks & nibbles on the sand dunes.Wetopped each day off by having a few dinks a chat and a delightful meal. A scenic seaplane flight back Thank you & well done to all at the Berkeley

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Dear Nick & Party,
I’m with you buddy, my Berkley experience was also amazing. The food was exceptional, all very fresh produce, not mass-produced and included in the package.
TV and electronics were not needed at this location and would be out of place in fact. All I needed was an appreciation for true natural beauty and the isolation of it all. This trip was the best investment I have made in myself for a long time.
I would go again in a heartbeat.

The visits to The George were amazing as well, as an amateur photographer the whole experience provided some amazing shots for me, the only problem was I never got sleep as I was always chasing sunsets and sunrises hahaha. Its a must do

David

Room Tip: If you want a sunrise over the sea coming into your room choose the east facing rooms. But if you wa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo