“A great Escape”
Review of The Berkeley River

The Berkeley River
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We recently spent four nights at the Berkeley River Lodge and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff are excellent, location awesome and the food to die for.Probably not a great location for children, as there are limited things to keep them occupied, but a great escape for an adult break. Fishing, walking, start gazing and generally recharging the batteries. Do take something warm as the evenings can be cool in the dry season.

Room Tip: All of the villas are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We spent 4 nights at The Berkeley and that wasn't long enough. The service, food and location were fantastic. We had long walks along the Beach, boat cruises on the river and even a hamper lunch at a water-hole. There is a helicopter for hire at the property so you can explore further along the Kimberley and even do some Heli- fishing if you like. We took advantage of the chopper for a flight while we were there and our excellent Pilot, Jim , took us to some amazing places, even landing on top of a waterfall, for lunch. We will definately go back to The Berkeley, maybe at the end of The Wet next time. Thanks again 'Guys', for such a wonderful experience. Sandy F

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandy F
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I spent one night here as part of a media group( I am not media) which was definately not long enough. We barely had time to have a quick look and I am devastated that I didn't get to have a bath in that magnificent tub. Maybe next time!
The coffee machine in the room was perfect to grab a quick coffee after a days exploring, and drink it on the balcony of the chalet.. Enjoying the peace and view. I found the room very clean and well appointed.
You have to remember that you are really in the middle of no where here and what they have built is truly remarkable.
The night time drinks on the beach and astrology talk was fabulous, and I really loved the short explore up the beach to see the soldier crabs.
We went on the boat up to the creek To have lunch at the clearest rock pool and waterfall I have ever seen. Which brings me to the food! We had picnic lunch - yum, dinner- one of the best I have ever had, and a quick snack before we flew out in the morning of muffins and friand. I wanted more of all.
Overall, I loved my stay here and hope to come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Why bother going to the remote Berkeley River if it isn`t to get away from TV phones internet& SPAS.We had three days there & loved the whole experience & certainly didn`t sit on our butts finding faults with everything. Our adventure started day1 a helicopter from kununurra over the Ord,mud flats gulf &coast into the Berkeley,welcomed by the staff,abeach walk,lunch&3hr bush drive.Day2 an all day boat cruise,great scenery,waterfalls freshwater swimming&natural SPA(no crocs or sharks),picnic lunch & one of us caught a barra. Day3our day started with a beach drive then fishing,swimming picnicing & rockhopping by helicopter for 6hrs Watched the moon rise & the stars appear while having drinks & nibbles on the sand dunes.Wetopped each day off by having a few dinks a chat and a delightful meal. A scenic seaplane flight back Thank you & well done to all at the Berkeley

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Dear Nick & Party,
I’m with you buddy, my Berkley experience was also amazing. The food was exceptional, all very fresh produce, not mass-produced and included in the package.
TV and electronics were not needed at this location and would be out of place in fact. All I needed was an appreciation for true natural beauty and the isolation of it all. This trip was the best investment I have made in myself for a long time.
I would go again in a heartbeat.

The visits to The George were amazing as well, as an amateur photographer the whole experience provided some amazing shots for me, the only problem was I never got sleep as I was always chasing sunsets and sunrises hahaha. Its a must do

David

Room Tip: If you want a sunrise over the sea coming into your room choose the east facing rooms. But if you wa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David H
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have not long returned from 6days at this location and my experience was totally unique and surreal.

Having travelled the world and stayed at some of the finest resorts, hotels and spas, I at no time thought of comparing “The Berkley River Lodge” experience with “resort/hotel living”. From the time I rolled up my pants to wade from the private seaplane to the beach, I knew this was going to be an experience like no other.

I spent my time swimming in secluded fresh water pools from the back of a waterfall. All amongst a backdrop of gorges and surrounding river systems that can only be described as breath taking and surreal. The water was clean, clear and full of exotic wildlife.

I certainly didn’t expect a television in my room and enjoyed the serenity with a good novel and interesting conversation with good company. For my party and me this was the perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and no mobile service was the bonus.
I unwound, relaxed and came away feeling I had experienced something very few people will ever experience in their life time...”paradise”.

Nic & Party

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nic D
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I visited the Berkeley River Resort, pretty soon, after it opened earlier this year. And I wasn't going to write a review, as I can usually not be bothered. But in light of other peoples opinion (subjective, as is mine), I am more than happy, to supply my opinion. Yes, I booked and yes, I admit, I was sceptical about the price range they offer the package. But maybe, I went into this holiday with a different expectation. I did read the fine print and knew, there would be no TV. And there is also no Mobile reception either. Wow, bliss. No-one, and this excludes emergencies, is able to make contact. I didn't think about my job, or shareholders. We had a helicopter flight into the Berkeley and a water aeroplane flight out. My wife and I were thrilled. This experience alone will set one back about $1000 in the Kimberleys! Outdoor bathroom, 100's of Kilometers away from civilisation. Where is the water-pressure supposed to come from? They do have their own water source, which is clean and drinkable, but rather a matter of taste for our 'pampered' bottled water generation. Where else does one have an outdoor bathroom, including toilet? Admitting, I did have a shower one morning at 6am. Well, the wind was blowing and by the time, the water hit my skin, the cool wind had dispersed the water drops and taken all the heat out of it. This is Outback! The next time, I showered at midday. Wow. A bath at night, just the stars above you? This is better, than an evening at the beach. Oh, Briggs S., did you tell the staff about your findings? Or did you suffer in silence? In our experience, the team with the Manager Jodie, the Chef, Barstaff and support team was superb. I am an early riser, but brekki doesn't start before 7am. I got offered a coffe and service at 6.10! Those guys know, how much their guests are paying and (at least for us), they went the extra mile, to make us feel special. The tours with guide Oliver were very valuable for everyone. Olivers explanations about the local flora and fauna, as well as his knowledge about the night-sky are nothing short of amazing. All in all, we felt, like we had rarely felt before. Relaxed. If one is bored, well, take a hike. Literally. Or go fishing. If this is not one's cup of tee, well, you might stay at the Sheraton in a Capital city and spend your money shopping. For us, this memory will stay with us, for the rest of our lifes, and I am glad, we are able to experience the finer things in life, even if it means 'remote'. Or is it, because it is 'remote'? I am more than happy to recommend this Resort to family and friends, which I have already done. Thank you, Berkeley River forn an amazing experience

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple