“come on Briggs S are you for real nothing to do” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Berkeley River

and 1 more site!
The Berkeley River
esperance wa
“come on Briggs S are you for real nothing to do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Why bother going to the remote Berkeley River if it isn`t to get away from TV phones internet& SPAS.We had three days there & loved the whole experience & certainly didn`t sit on our butts finding faults with everything. Our adventure started day1 a helicopter from kununurra over the Ord,mud flats gulf &coast into the Berkeley,welcomed by the staff,abeach walk,lunch&3hr bush drive.Day2 an all day boat cruise,great scenery,waterfalls freshwater swimming&natural SPA(no crocs or sharks),picnic lunch & one of us caught a barra. Day3our day started with a beach drive then fishing,swimming picnicing & rockhopping by helicopter for 6hrs Watched the moon rise & the stars appear while having drinks & nibbles on the sand dunes.Wetopped each day off by having a few dinks a chat and a delightful meal. A scenic seaplane flight back Thank you & well done to all at the Berkeley

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Dear Nick & Party,
I’m with you buddy, my Berkley experience was also amazing. The food was exceptional, all very fresh produce, not mass-produced and included in the package.
TV and electronics were not needed at this location and would be out of place in fact. All I needed was an appreciation for true natural beauty and the isolation of it all. This trip was the best investment I have made in myself for a long time.
I would go again in a heartbeat.

The visits to The George were amazing as well, as an amateur photographer the whole experience provided some amazing shots for me, the only problem was I never got sleep as I was always chasing sunsets and sunrises hahaha. Its a must do

David

Room Tip: If you want a sunrise over the sea coming into your room choose the east facing rooms. But if you wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David H
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have not long returned from 6days at this location and my experience was totally unique and surreal.

Having travelled the world and stayed at some of the finest resorts, hotels and spas, I at no time thought of comparing “The Berkley River Lodge” experience with “resort/hotel living”. From the time I rolled up my pants to wade from the private seaplane to the beach, I knew this was going to be an experience like no other.

I spent my time swimming in secluded fresh water pools from the back of a waterfall. All amongst a backdrop of gorges and surrounding river systems that can only be described as breath taking and surreal. The water was clean, clear and full of exotic wildlife.

I certainly didn’t expect a television in my room and enjoyed the serenity with a good novel and interesting conversation with good company. For my party and me this was the perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and no mobile service was the bonus.
I unwound, relaxed and came away feeling I had experienced something very few people will ever experience in their life time...”paradise”.

Nic & Party

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nic D
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I visited the Berkeley River Resort, pretty soon, after it opened earlier this year. And I wasn't going to write a review, as I can usually not be bothered. But in light of other peoples opinion (subjective, as is mine), I am more than happy, to supply my opinion. Yes, I booked and yes, I admit, I was sceptical about the price range they offer the package. But maybe, I went into this holiday with a different expectation. I did read the fine print and knew, there would be no TV. And there is also no Mobile reception either. Wow, bliss. No-one, and this excludes emergencies, is able to make contact. I didn't think about my job, or shareholders. We had a helicopter flight into the Berkeley and a water aeroplane flight out. My wife and I were thrilled. This experience alone will set one back about $1000 in the Kimberleys! Outdoor bathroom, 100's of Kilometers away from civilisation. Where is the water-pressure supposed to come from? They do have their own water source, which is clean and drinkable, but rather a matter of taste for our 'pampered' bottled water generation. Where else does one have an outdoor bathroom, including toilet? Admitting, I did have a shower one morning at 6am. Well, the wind was blowing and by the time, the water hit my skin, the cool wind had dispersed the water drops and taken all the heat out of it. This is Outback! The next time, I showered at midday. Wow. A bath at night, just the stars above you? This is better, than an evening at the beach. Oh, Briggs S., did you tell the staff about your findings? Or did you suffer in silence? In our experience, the team with the Manager Jodie, the Chef, Barstaff and support team was superb. I am an early riser, but brekki doesn't start before 7am. I got offered a coffe and service at 6.10! Those guys know, how much their guests are paying and (at least for us), they went the extra mile, to make us feel special. The tours with guide Oliver were very valuable for everyone. Olivers explanations about the local flora and fauna, as well as his knowledge about the night-sky are nothing short of amazing. All in all, we felt, like we had rarely felt before. Relaxed. If one is bored, well, take a hike. Literally. Or go fishing. If this is not one's cup of tee, well, you might stay at the Sheraton in a Capital city and spend your money shopping. For us, this memory will stay with us, for the rest of our lifes, and I am glad, we are able to experience the finer things in life, even if it means 'remote'. Or is it, because it is 'remote'? I am more than happy to recommend this Resort to family and friends, which I have already done. Thank you, Berkeley River forn an amazing experience

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Marcus M
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is a brand new resort in an unspoilt and remote wilderness area. Access is by float plane from Kununurra, with outstanding scenery en route of the Cambridge Gulf and associated river systems. The fact that a resort could be built in this location seems like a miracle in itself. The chalets are designed to maximise ocean views and the sunrise over the ocean and sunset over the land from our chalet were stunning. Liked the outside bathroom under the stars too, and have nothing but praise for the quality of food and service. I have travelled extensively through the Kimberley and the Berkeley Gorge river cruise is the equal of anything I have experienced, and walking for miles on the deserted and untrodden beach is an exploration of both the land and one's own mind. Value wise it needs to be borne in mind that the price is all inclusive of float plane, river cruise and meals, and I think good value compared to similar alternatives. Teething problems? Sure, but all new resorts have those, and the staff coped well. It won't be everybody's cup-of-tea because it is so remote, but for those who are looking for peace, tranquility, isolation and something different, I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harvey P
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

This place was ridiculously overly priced and we would struggle to give it a two star rating. The chalets were grubby, dull and lacking in any form of character, the shower had little or no pressure and the shower tray was cracked in half, the steel in the chalets was starting to rust and the decking was grubby throughout. The Main building and restaurant were no different and although the food was average the restaurant was lacking in atmosphere or any form of ambience. Looking at this place on its website it is very deceiving, the pool and hot tub were filthy and pool decking area was shabby looking with damaged decking all around the pool. We stayed for 4 days but really wanted to leave after the first day, there is no entertainment for guests including no TV or fridge in the rooms. The only thing we liked about the place which was nothing special was the river cruise but other than that there is absolutely nothing to do. You cannot swim in the sea as its crocodile and shark infested. This place was such a disappointment and we would not recommend this place to anybody, seriously for 2500 dollars per person for two nights keep your money and stay in a proper luxurious hotel, this place is horrible, shabby and an absolute rip off, we have stayed in better backpackers. Our advice would be to take a scenic flight if you want to see this region, or a charter boat from Wyndham, but stay clear of this hell hole!!...P.S there are no Spa facilities either.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
28 Thank Briggs S
Kimberley A, Manager at The Berkeley River, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
We are a remote destination Lodge and as such we keep account of any of all guest who stay with us. Since we opened on April 13th 2012 we have had only a small number of guests during the time frame between then and the 4th of June.

I am sorry but we have no record of a guest by your name (S Briggs) staying with us, the General Manager has personally touched base with all guests who visited during this period, all to which expressed positive feelings towards both property and experience.

If we are incorrect in this statement by all means contact us manager@berkeleyriver.com.au and we can discuss further.