“A Great Place to Stay”

Fulford-Dunderry Guest House
Boise, Idaho
“A Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were tired having ridden our fully loaded tandem bicycle 60k before arriving at Fulford Dunderry. Our host, Gwenyth, showed us to our little cabin and we were immediately pleased. The cabin was clean and complete with tea for the morning. Our bathroom, as stated, required a few steps outside to the very nice, clean shower, and washroom. The outside "commute" to the bathroom added to the feeling we were camping, but with luxury.
And to make a great experience even better, we had opportunity to call Gwenyth the next day and ask that she send my left behind Kindle. Gwenyth did one better and told us she was traveling to Victoria and would bring it along the next day. I would definitely stay at Fulford Dunderry Guest House again.

Room Tip: We were in the "backpackers cabin." This cabin was away from the actual guest house and it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Rebecca H
Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Fulford Dunderry Cabin. It was indeed a pleasure to have met both of you and I am so glad that I was able to facilitate a speedy return of the much missed Kindle!

All the best to you now and on all future journeys,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Note the above title! For anyone who wishes to explore the southern part of Salt Spring Island, this location is truly ideal! You can take the Swartz Bay to Fulford Harbour ferry and literally walk to this B&B in less than one minute (somewhat uphill).
With a bike or car you are perfectly situated to explore spectacular Ruckles Park Campground where from the south western boundary (called Beaver Point) a beautiful trail winds through the Arbutus & Gary Oak forest back to the original heritage 'Ruckles Farm'where sheep, baby lambs & turkeys wander at will. On another day's excursion you can drive from this B&B in the other direction north through a serene landscape to the quaint, creative & very food-conscious village of Ganges ~ or beyond to the north of the Island.

• Stayed June 2013
Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the guest house. I'm sure the detailed information you have provided will be of benefit to other travellers visiting our site. I'm so glad you enjoyed the continental breakfast, the fun setting and services of Fulford village --- and, of course --- those wonderful bird songs! It was a pleasure having you as a guest and I wish you all the best on future journeys.

Gwenyth Luptak
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This year we rented for the third time the little cabin. It is tiny but it was ideal for us after the all day activity or dancing at Salt Spring Island Folk Dance Festival. We enjoyed the sunshine and the view on the deck. In the tiny kitchen we found everything we needed for making our own breakfast. We also enjoyed the little hidden charms. We liked the privacy and the closeness to Fullford Hall and to the ferry. The parking was a little bit challenging. We might come back exploring the island by bicycle. No question where we will stay: )

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you Ron for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay at Fulford Dunderry cabin. Its always been a pleasure having you and your wife stay here and I am glad that it fit so well with your participation in the Folk dance festival. I hope that the club will choose to have their event on Salt Spring again one day! And I look forward to meeting you again in the future.
Kind regards,
Gwenyth Luptak
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I rented the cabin at The Fulford Dunderry Guest House for my parents who were visiting from out East, and they absolutely loved it!
The little cabin had everything we needed and the large deck out front was a lovely spot to soak up some sun. The location was great, right around the corner from the Ferry and right in the funky little town of Fulford.
Our host Gwenyth was great!
We would definitely recommend the Fulford Dunderry House to anyone looking for a real SaltSpring experience!
Chantelle Smith

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi Chantelle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Fulford Dunderry cabin. I am so glad you and your family thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. It was most certainly a pleasure to meet the three of you! I wish you all the best in future endeavors.

Anchorage, AK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed 3 days at this B&B in Fulford. In addition to a bedroom with ensuite bath there was a well equipped kitchen, dining area, living room and large balcony overlooking the harbour (to be shared with other guests but we were the only occupants during our space). The space is furnished with antiques that look charming but aren't very comfortable for relaxing. The breakfast was sub-standard with dry cereals, muffins/scones, canned fruit with yogurt and juice/coffee/tea set out for us before we arose. I expected more than a "continental breakfast" from a B&B. The ensuite bathroom is very, very small; the shower would not be assessible by larger guests. It was unfortunate that the jacuzzi wasn't working as we had planned to use it. The picture quality of the TV was poor. Our host was hospitable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you Patti for taking the time to write a detailed review about your recent stay at the guest house. To clarify, the continental breakfast, which is identified on our advertizing material, is a European term used to describe a light breakfast consisting of beverages and baked goods. I typically provide these ingredients and additionally supply yogurt/ fruit and cereals. It is not uncommon in this region to have this type of breakfast at B&B's. I am sorry to hear, however, that it didn't fully meet your expectations.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings as it is definitely one of the blessings of this location. It was unfortunate that the hot tub broke down at the time of your stay ...and I am now happy to say it is up and running once again!

Kind regards,
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our stay at Fulford Dunderry Guest House was entirely satisfactory. The bedroom and attached bathroom were small but we slept fine. The bathroom was a bit cold. The breakfast area was comfortable and breakfast met our needs (except there was no fruit). The parking area was a bit challenging. The property is lovely, right by the water.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gwenyth-fdgh, Manager at Fulford-Dunderry Guest House, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you Marie for taking the time to review your recent stay at Fulford Dunderry Guest House. I'm happy to hear that you were satisfied with your experience. In reference to the breakfast, I very aspects of them, sometimes there is fruit served and at other times fruited yogurt. I believe the later was served during your stay here. I apologize if that didn't fully meet your expectations at that time. Unfortunately, the insuite bathroom in the queen bedroom doesn't have a thermostat, in future during the colder months, I can suggest that guests leave the bathroom door at least partly open during their stay here.
Thank you, again for your valuable feedback. It was a pleasure meeting you and all the best in your future endeavors.
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Not good value for the money. Owner/ operator not very friendly. Pretty much wanted full payment for two night stay as soon as we stepped foot on the property. Guesthouse tiny, tiny. Thankful the weather was decent as had good size patio.
Would I return ...........no

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Josie K
Thank you Jodi for taking the time to review your Cabin stay in August 2012. I am new to the Trip Advisor system and have only just received your review, therefore my apologizes for the lateness of my response. However,I do remember your stay well.

There is some confusion in your review that I would like to clarify. You did not stay in our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom Guest House rather you stayed in our small eco-friendly Cabin. I can understand how you may have had some different expectations as it was your companions' husband who actually made the reservation on your behalf. The cabin is very popular with back-packers, cyclists, budget travelers and those who enjoy the rustic outdoor Salt Spring experience.

So too,it was your traveling companion's request to me to complete the payment at the beginning of your stay. I strive to be sensitive to the privacy needs of my guests. My apologies if my low key approach was perceived as less outgoing than you would have appreciated. I am completely flexible on payments times and always available to answer questions and meet the needs of my guests, as best I can.

I'm glad you enjoyed the large private deck. We have made upgrades since your stay. There is a 7 ft. wood fence up now for increased privacy and the harbour view from the deck has been opened up more as well. I'm so sorry you felt the Cabin was not appropriate for you, had I know your feelings at the time I would have been happy to upgrade your accommodation to the Guest House.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and all the best on your future treks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fulford Harbour
Hastings House Country House Hotel
Hastings House Country House Hot...
#1 of 3 in Salt Spring Island
#7 of 44 in Salt Spring Island
Seabreeze Inne
Seabreeze Inne
#2 of 3 in Salt Spring Island

Been to Fulford-Dunderry Guest House? Share your experiences!