“Nice, Friendly, Very Reasonably Priced”

Foxglove Inn and Gardens
Ranked #3 of 4 Crofton B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We obtained a coupon online for $169 for two nights including dinner and two breakfasts. We chose to book the four rooms (and sell to friends) in the new house that had 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, commercial stove and fridge. Great view of the harbour and Crofton. The demonstration dinner chef explained how he prepared everything. The staff are wonderful and helpful. The breakfast plentiful and creatively prepared. You can hear the sea lions barking at night if you leave the windows open.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at the Foxglove Inn for two nights in June 2013 as a group of 4 women who had purchased the stay through Living Social. The owner, Nancy, kindly gave us the entire separate house known as the Gables, which is a nearly new building with a water view. We all had our own bedrooms and the run of the house. Initially we were very impressed.
Not so good was the breakfast. The two mornings' breakfasts were already there when we checked in, and consisted of some large cakey grocery store muffins, which were pretty stale by the third day, sweetened yogurt, a few bananas and oranges and some instant oatmeal. Had we known the breakfast would be so unappetizing we would have brought our own.
The promised cooking class consisted of salad, pasta, eggplant parmigan and desert It was really more of a demonstration, although we did get to help make the pasta. The chef promised to email us his recipes but never did. There was nothing fresh from the garden.....he said he had bought the supplies from Walmart. It was not appealing the way the chef kept rubbing his hands over his sweaty face, then handling the food. I understand this chef is no longer there.
As it turned out, check out time was 11 am. Since we were never told this, our stay ended rather abruptly, with the maid waiting while we threw our belongings into our suitcases. Unfortunately my sister left behind her newly purchased cap, a souvenir of the trip. She called the inn to ask that it be held until I could pick it up for her, since she is from the prairies, but when I finally was able to make the trip back to get it, Nancy said she had given it away to her partner. She promised to get it from him and although I have phoned and emailed on several occasions to ask if she had the hat yet, she always acted like she had never heard of the hat, but in the end assured me she would definitely get it for me and call me right back.
I have been waiting til I had the hat before writing this review. I would have accentuated the positive at this obviously struggling small inn. But I never got the hat and I feel that Nancy was never intending to return it, but was just telling me what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone. I am angry that she did not safeguard my sister's property, but instead gave it away. She should have offered to replace the hat, or at a bare minimum apologized for losing it. My opinion of the Foxglove Inn is that it is run by unprofessional amateurs who don't respect their guests and make no efforts to ensure they return. They needn't worry.....I will never go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank feelinrosie
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place falls short of the mark. What they say you will get, is not the reality.

We stayed in the Inn and our room was very small. It was not soundproofed at all! We could hear everything going on in the rooms next to us as well as in the hallways - conversations, snoring, coughing, walking around, etc. The water pipes were very loud and sounded like they were in the wall right behind our bed. And as if that wasn't enough, the showers were not pressure-balanced. While in the shower you got repeatedly scalded or frozen when people used the water elsewhere in the Inn.

The breakfasts were not all that great - by no means deluxe as advertised - overly sweet smoothies, fruit salad made mostly with Costco frozen fruit mix (soggy), undercooked scrambled eggs (how do you even do that?), frozen hashbrowns and bacon (that was the only good part). While we were eating, we overheard yelling between Nancy and a guest. It was so loud and uncomfortable (not a relaxing experience that's for sure!). It went on and on and kept getting louder and louder (for at least 20 minutes). It was so inappropriate on so many levels. Finally we got up and left. To make matters worse, I later overheard Nancy speaking with another guest about the incident. Nancy asked her to tell the other guests that she was sorry about the commotion. I would have expected a good owner to make a point of personally apologizing to each guest and maybe even offering some kind of discount or gift to make up for it.

The saving grace of this trip for us was the dinner with Chef Mark. He was very friendly and a very good cook. While the menu sounded like it might be quite a simple meal, it was far from it. Everything was deliciously gourmet and expertly prepared!!! I would have been disappointed if I had been expecting a cooking class. Mark was interactive with us and the other guests however, sharing cooking tips and preferred ingredients along the way. He was very intuitive about when to interject cooking tips and when to be quiet and let the guests engage in their own conversations. It was nice to be able to bring our own bottle of wine to dinner.

The location was ok, but there was no view from the Inn. The pulp and paper mill was right across the bay, but thankfully it was not smelly the weekend we were there. There was a very short little walking path down to the water near the Inn which was nice.

I am glad stayed at this place with a groupon deal or we would have been really upset. It was barely worth the price we paid let along more. I would not suggest staying here (in case you hadn't already guessed that).

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Inn, perhaps the Gables or the Loft may be better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Shaz B
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Good

- Very pleasant owner who makes everyone feel welcome
- Inn has a couple lovely sitting rooms where you can sit quietly and read a book or join in discussions with the other guests. The pre-dinner wine and cheese brought everyone together.
- Delicious supper prepared by Chef Hillson. Most people opt to dine there every night of their stay because there is not much around except for a pub. (Great very reasonably priced burgers at the pub. Plus the general store has fresh prepared meals you could warm in a microwave at the inn.)
- Close to wineries and lots of outdoor activities. Very convenient for a day trip to Saltspring with a ferry nearby and no lineups.

The Bad

- Double bed made for a cuddly night but not very good sleeping. Reviews seem to make a difference depending on if you are in the "Inn" or one of the outer buildings (with the outer buildings getting better reviews). We were in the Inn.
- Yes, it definitely has that seniors’ home feel and could use a paint job in places. The photos kind of reminded me of a glamour magazine where you know the models have been photo-shopped to minimize the negative features.
- Not very organized – our reservation was wrong and most people seemed to have the same complaint. Probably caused by offering different packages depending on whether it was a Groupon, Living Social or other buyers’ club deal – some include hot breakfast, others are for The Loft etc.

And The Ugly

You are looking at a pulp mill across the bay. The lights are pretty at night but if you stayed around during the day it is a bit of an eyesore. When the mill shutdown a couple of years ago, the workers got financing and became part owners. That impressed me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 100countries_or_bust
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our experience so much, we will be returning in the spring with friends and family. We stayed in The Attic in the new house "The Gables" where we enjoyed a private sitting area with a picture window to watch the family of deer who frequent the property. The sitting area on the main floor was warm and cozy with a three-sided fire place and spectacular views of the bay. The Chef's Table hosted by Chef Mark Hillson was an amazing experience. An opportunity to interact with the other guests, learn the tips and tricks of Mark's fabulous and incredibly delicious creations were highlights of the two days we stayed. Nancy is a gracious hostess who is so caring and nurturing for any needs we could possibly have had. We will definitely be returning!!!

Room Tip: For a romantic getaway, choose the Parker Suite -- large soaker tub and double shower!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I and another couple spent two nights at the Foxglove Inn and Gardens. During the day we visited a number of wineries in the Cowichan Valley and were very impressed with the quality of the wines and information/history of the vineyards shared with us by the staff/owners. In the evenings we returned to Foxglove to enjoy excellent dinners prepared by chef Mark Hillson. Nancy, one of the owners, prepared great breakfasts each morning. The accommodation and meals promoted lots of opportunity to interact with other guests and staff which we thoroughly enjoyed. A great experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the new house which accommodates eight and is roomy with a large fully-equipped kitchen...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a destination that you do not want to miss out on. The Inn and Gardens are surrounded by stunning West Coast scenery. The Restaurant and Chefs table hosted by Mark Hillson is by far the best experience of this weekend. Chef captures the true flavors of the food presented with every bite being one to savor and enjoy, and you know that it will be one of the most memorable meals of your life. Nancy and Burt are the owners and you can tell that they literally love sharing the little piece of West Coast paradise.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Foxglove Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!