“A very special place to visit”

Muriwai Gannet Colony
Private Tour of Muriwai Beach and Gannet Colony from Auckland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I visit here often. It is so wonderful to see the birds nesting and watching their new chicks growing. The vision platforms are so handy to watch the birds from. Grand views of the surrounding areas and Muriwai beach, and the mad fishermen fishing on the dangerous rocks too

Reviewed February 6, 2013

After at least 20 years since my last visit and my husbands first visit it had something for both of us! The gannet colony provided him with the challenge of photographing the birds in flight and i also found it very interesting to see and learn about the birds. Then we swam at the beach, water cold at first but beautiful once in. I found the pull of the sea as bad as on my last visit, very strong but still alot of fun!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

with the Tasman Ocean and Muriwai beach as backdrops the colony provides an onshore view of the birds nesting and raising chicks before they fly to Australia. The beauty of the birds soaring on the wind currents is spectacular. A truly interesting and inspiring location.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

On our last day in NZ we drove out to Muriwai Beach just to see the beach and while walking around the headland steps looking for good views we came across the gannet colony. The viewing platforms are very close to the action and we spent more than an hour just watching the birds. This was January and there were lots of chicks and young birds in the nests. It was beautiful watching all their interactions and seeing the birds flying around, sometimes so close you could almost touch them. I think the birds are not there in winter so don't look for it them then though the beach will still be spectacular.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I really loved this place and spend hours watching and photographing the birds. The surrounding areas are fantastic for photos and in particular sunset photos and if you love photography like I do, this is a must see.