Casa Coson
Hotel Alisei(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$116
Hotel Villas Las Palmas al Mar(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$127
$85
Hotel Atlantis(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$86
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$265
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Hotel Residence Playa Colibri(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$85
$231
$204
Bookit.com
Costarena Beach Hotel(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$51
Punta Bonita Beach Resort(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Pool
Resort Costa Las Ballenas(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$127
Orbitz.com
Casas del Mar Neptunia(Las Terrenas)(Great Value!)
$30
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I want to start by saying that overall I recommend Casa Coson. I have been there twice and hope to go back often.
That said there are several things that should be noted. There are two sets of reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel. One set is for Casa Coson prior to December 2013 and the others are for after that time. The reason is that the Casa Coson went through a management change. And the hotel has changed significantly.
First and foremost is the food. Specifically the dinners. I'm sorry to say that the food has gone from AMAZING to mediocre. You'll see this as you read other reviews. Must older reviews rave about the food. It used to be a highlight of a stay at this hotel. Now it's take it or leave it. If you have a car you may want to drive into town and try your luck elsewhere. If you do not have transportation the food is certainly adequate.
Breakfasts and lunches are great. Big difference is breakfasts are priced alacarte. They have virtually anything you might want but most is priced separately. And I will say this: I don't know how they do it but Casa Coson makes the best eggs any style I've ever had. We noted it our last trip and it remains true!
Lunches are also great. They are served in the adjoining hut. There is a great open air restaurant/bar. Drinks are mediocre unless you like beer. (Presidente is the best Pilsner this side of Europe. Hands down. Hats off to the DR for having the best beer in The Caribbean!).
The food is pretty good but the pizzas are AMAZING. On your first day order a beer and the Sicilian. You'll thank me!
The beach at Casa Coson is pretty unique. First and foremost it is really really private. But there's something else I like about it: this beach faces North. The sun is mostly to your back if you're facing the water. Don't worry, there's plenty of sun to work on your tan. But it also means there's plenty of natural shade if you want as the palm trees grow right up to the edge of the beach. Absolutely the best of both worlds.
So all in all a fantastic experience. So why only 3 stars?
The hotel is managed by two very smart and very friendly people. Both of them are multilingual and go out of their way to make the stay a fantastic experience. BUT: the staff does not speak a word of anything but Spanish. When I say not one word I mean not one word! Not large, small, please, thank you, with, without, extra, less, water, beer, rum, ice, egg, fruit, glass, straw, towel. Nothing! And there is no attempt by the staff to even try. None whatsoever! Enormously frustrating. And as opposed to the first time we stayed there, the new staff seems to be offended that guests are not fluent in Spanish. Believe me, I am not saying this as an American who only speaks 1 language. I am multilingual. One of the languages is, however, not Spanish. And we overheard two other couples from two different countries having the same struggles. All trying to communicate in English. At some point it comes down to simply nodding and hoping for the best. You may disagree if you like but English is the most common language used when traveling abroad. I ask the management: would it be so hard for you to require your staff to learn maybe 20 or 30 words in English? It's really not much for a destination that otherwise appeals in so many ways to the international vacationer.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VTRex
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I recently spent 5 days at Casa Coson. It just wasn’t long enough. It is very rare when you can find a place with natural beauty, not overcrowded, clean and pristine. Above all, the staff is magnificent. I want to thank Sofie, Jerome, Michael, Mercedes and all the staff for their hospitality and attention to detail. I am counting the days when I can return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SMG_291
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We visit this beach and hotel every time we go to the Dominican Republic. We have stayed at the hotel twice but always stop in for a drink or dinner. The food and service are exceptional. The rooms are decent but who cares --the most beautiful private beach is right outside your door.
We dislike the all-inclusive resorts this is so much better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had no hesitation about returning to this charming hotel. Sophie, the new owner, speaks excellent English and was a very helpful and pleasant correspondent during the booking process. When we arrived we were met by her friendly husband Jerome (who also speaks English). The two of them are gracious ,kind and treat you like guests in their home. They are eager to give you advice and to do all that they can to enhance your stay. Their staff is also eager to please, especially the lovely Raquel who served us our delicious breakfast.
Casa Coson, as I said in my review last year, is attractive and intimate. The rooms are simple but have style and are comfortable and clean. We loved having a balcony with a view of the sea. Playa Coson is divine. The sea is warm, the color is beautiful and the waves are fun. It is remarkably empty..
The public spaces of Casa Coson allow for much privacy and choice. There is a small pool which is delightful for a dip after the salt of the sea. There is a delicious restaurant for lunch, Caffe Coson (great tuna tartare, burgers, pizza) and the hotel also serves elegant , gourmet dinners in the evening. Not to be missed !!
It was such a treat to return to this bit of paradise. A pleasure to meet Sophie and Jerome who are doing a marvelous job of maintaining the joy of this special place. Thank you again !!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara I
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for two enjoyable days and nights. This is your place if you want to avoid the "all inclusive" atmosphere in favor of a quaint yet professionally run establishment with and incredibly beautiful beach, delicious food, and personalized service. Simple yet tasty breakfast consisting of fruit, bread, and coffee or tea was included with our room. Lunch was a la carte yet delicious and affordable. Dinner was significantly more expensive so my wife and I decided to venture into Las Terrenas via rental car. Our charming room was without a TV, which we certainly didn't miss. We both agreed the beach was the most beautiful we had ever stepped foot on and were surprised yet grateful that development hadn't overtaken the area's pristine charm. Definitely a rare find.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple