Quite spontaneously, we booked 10 days here, based largely on location and the reviews of other Tripadvisor travelers. Truthfully, bumping down a very potholed dirt road to the hotel had us a bit worried, but arriving a couple of kilometers later, we found ourselves at a jewel box of a hotel. It is situated on the northern end of the Playa Coson, which is several kilometers of beautiful white beach. We stayed in a garden-view suite (located on the 2nd floor of the main house), comprised of a spacious sitting room with sofa, two arm chairs, small refrigerator stocked with mineral water, large commode and colorful dhuri rugs. The sleeping room has a king-size bed (exceedingly comfortable), large closets and a safe. Each room has a large ceiling fan. An airconditoner is available, but we didn't need it. The suite was impeccably clean and the bathroom is stocked with blow dryer, magnifying mirror, shower and plenty of shower gel and shampoo.
The dining room/breakfast room, also in the main house, opens out to a wood patio which then is open to a lovely garden area featuring a small swimming pool and beautiful succulents, sloping directly to the beach. The garden area also has a number of open-air, shaded gazebos, equipped with extremely comfortable chaise lounges, upholstered in colorful fabrics -- suitable for two people. One is also used for spa/massage -- open air, but quite private.
There is a separate restaurant for lunch, directly adjacent to the main house, also open air and shaded, which seats perhaps 30-40 people and includes a small bar. We ate lunch here every day and loved such offerings as fresh pasta with local clams, tuna tartare and grilled fish. The service staff is excellent -- professional, friendly and quick. We happily lingered over lunch and then returned to swimming, walking the beach or reading in one of the gazebos until late afternoon.
Yvan and Marzia are wonderful hosts -- they are constantly present, whether making sure their guests are happy or greeting friends who stop in for lunch. There is a grand mix of French, Spanish, Italian and English being spoken at any given time.
The breakfast served as part of the price of the room is one of the most delightful aspects of the Casa Coson. Either ordered directly to one's table or served in a casual buffet, the platters of beautifully ripe mangoes, papayas, melon, passion fruit and berries were excellent. Someone is also baking fresh, tiny French pastries -- passion fruit or mango tartlettes for example -- as well as mini Madelaines and wee pound cakes. Fresh, warm, whole wheat bread, excellent yogurt, and French butter finish the basics. Marzia will see to eggs prepared to order whenever one asks. Topped off with fresh-pressed passion fruit juice and terrific coffee, your day can begin no better.
We're diehard swimmers and could have spent hours simply swimming in the easy water of the Playa Coson. The beach itself, though public, is pretty remote and other than the weekends, when many locals come to enjoy the water, it is very uninhabited: there are only two other properties (currently occupied) located directly on either side. An open-air restaurant serving grilled fish, barbecued chicken and pina coladas in real pineapples is located down the beach a couple of kilometers -- far enough away that the inevitable Dominican boombox music played on the weekends is hardly discernable, but close enough for a change of pace for lunch.
Dinners at Casa Coson are treasures. Marzia never tells you what she's making -- it's all a 3-course surprise and well worth the US$42. Everything is lovingly prepared from fresh ingredients and served beautifully -- both in presentation as well as by the staff.
Finally, it is the people who own, manage and run a hotel who really make it, we find. This is where the Casa Coson is a cut above. Every single person who works there and with whom we interacted, was professionally trained, gracious and friendly. Our preferences were respected and we were delightfully charmed with how much care each person took to ensure our comfort. Once again, thank you so much Marzia and Yvan (as well as Andrea, Jacqueline, Gieselle and so many others!).
We will be definitely returning...perhaps even sooner than we planned!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming small residence directly on the marvelous beach of Coson. The residence was built with love and understanding of the natural beauty around it by it's owners. The long and crystal clear waters of Playa Coson and the evergreen of the mountains in the back makes this place unique and wonderful where you can spend your next holidays. Once here you will not want to leave... The main house has 4 private beachfront bedrooms. The Villa Colonial is a replica of a Victorian Style house with four bedrooms and private kitchen. It has been finely decorated with nice furniture and colorful tissues. In the back there is a magical round private Casita Mexicana. The swimming pool is in the middle of the residence. The garden has long chairs, hammocks, private seating with sun covers, tables to play chess or cards. There is also a first class restaurant that serves delicious juices, drinks and French, Italian and International cuisine. It also has a traditional oven for pizzas. You can enjoy a massage in the gazebos's garden or in your room or you can walk for four miles surrounded by hundreds of coconut trees, golden sand and refreshing water. What are you waiting for? Come join us... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Casa Coson reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Coson Hotel Las Terrenas
- Casa Coson Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic