“An oasis!”
Review of Hotel Alisei

Hotel Alisei
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This smallish property is beautiful, with a large and clean pool in the central area. We stayed in 36; it is a second floor apartment with a fantastic view of the grounds, beach and ocean just across the road. Upon entrance all the towels were decorated with little pink flowers!

The apartment was 1 bedroom, with plenty of closet space for 2. A well stocked kitchen (no microwave), full size refrigerator, hot & cold water system, eating area and built in couch completed the living area. The bath had a bidet but no bath tub. The shower is nice sized with an adjustable shower head. The key turns on the electricity, so no lights left on by accident. Outside the wall of sliding doors was a full size balcony with a hammock, table and chairs and another built in couch with cushion and pillows. One of the biggest decisions of the day was to begin in the hammock or on the couch.

Breakfast is included, or was with our package, at least. Beginning at 7:30 in the restaurant, one could eat inside or outside. A full range of juices, fresh tropical fruit, cooked meats, cold meats & cheese, hard boiled eggs and bread - wonderful bread by the loaf, with a knife to slice your own. Plus a friendly worker at the omelet/waffle/crepe station! The food is European, that is Americans might be confused by the hot milk instead of cream, but I loved making my own latte.

The pool wasn't terribly deep, but was just the right temperature. There was a swim up bar, and plenty of chairs. The hotel had a towel system using cards, one for each guest.

The grounds are well kept. We were entertained watching workers climb the coconut trees to trim them...without safety harnesses. Beautiful flowering shrubs, and a lily pad by the spa added vivid colors.

I had the best massage ever in the spa. Though the masseuse didn't speak English, I was able to point out that I wanted an hour basic massage. It began with about 10 minutes in the Turkish bath. I was so relaxed by the time the massage began, it was wonderful. Plus, because of the language barrier, no small talk.

Negatives....no bathtub, the cable TV only showed 3 stations in English (USA, TCM, and ?)...but who really needs TV in paradise?

Room Tip: As for a second floor, for the view and breezes.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pastorjoene

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I have been here twice before but this time was with the grandchildren, ages 2 and 4. This resort is for all ages. The pool has been completely refurbished and looks brand new. They also included a swim up bar that children and adults enjoy daily. The grounds and furnishings in the apartments are kept like new. I noticed that the restaurant has tourists and locals alike coming in for meals. The fish and seafoods are fresh and perfectly prepared and the breakfasts (which are included) have everything imaginable from crepes to eggs and meats to fresh fruits and juices, plus hot chocolate and that excellent Dominican coffee. The resort spa offers great massages and manicure/pedicures. Alisei is on the beach, with beautiful surroundings and great views, this place is as good as they come. Also, just as important, the staff couldn't be any more personable and helpful. This is my favorite overall place in this part of this great country. Truly a first class operation all the way!

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floor rooms in the first three buildings have the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Greg S
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Alisei for a family vacation. Alisei is a small-ish property (around 50 rooms) in an area with similar sized properties - no large all-inclusives here. It's located steps from a fantastic, uncrowded beach that goes for miles and a 10 or 15 minute walk from town.

Headline: Not cheap, not as expensive as we'd expect -- and a very good value. Very good place to stay, either as a base in Las Terrenas or just to stay there. We'll be back.

Room: about 1700 square feet, 2 beds, 2 baths, full kitchen, small inside living space, wonderful covered terrace. Very clean, extremely well-maintained and well-equipped (for example, includes its own water cooler), and very good daily service. Wifi, but with inconsistent connectivity - seemed better in the mornings when fewer people using it, often unavailable during the day. The only TV is in the bedroom - if you want family movie night (we didn't), you'll have to do it on the bed.

Room includes a full European-style breakfast which was very well done. (Dinner at the restaurant reviewed under Baraonda.)

Hotel: Great location, very nice facilities - pool with a bar, full spa, restaurant. Only about 7 years old, but feels newer.

Staff: Very friendly, very flexible, very accomodating.

3  Thank cynically_speaking
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our first stay in Las Terrenas, our third in the Samana region, the other two times both in Las Galeras at the now–defunct and demolished Club Bonito. We have very fond memories of Club Bonito and Las Galeras, but since we couldn’t find anything suitable in that area this time around, after some searching we decided to try Alisei. In short, we are very pleased with our choice, Alisei is terrific overall. We had a 3rd–floor unit with one bedroom, nice dinette / kitchen area, and large balcony with table and chairs, padded bench, cloth hammock, and spectacular ocean view. The buildings and grounds are beautiful. The pool is medium–size, has a swim–up bar, and is well–maintained. Alisei has its own restaurant. On our first night, we had dinner with a salmon tartare starter (which was really a ceviche), beef filet medallions in peppercorn sauce, and scallops and shrimp; all were quite good. The breakfast buffet is included, with eggs / omelets to order as well as a nice selection of other prepared items, breads, pastries and fruits. I usually need to make my own coffee in–room, but here it was just good enough that I didn’t need to bother. The staff are genuinely friendly and helpful; there was none of the attitude evident at some other places we’ve been to in the Caribbean (see my review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana from February 2012). The vibe overall was calm and low–key. In contrast, Las Terrenas itself is a hopping town with a lot of shops and restaurants to choose from. Snorkeling is possible right off the hotel beach and while the water is beautiful, the reef there is relatively mediocre. The few problems we had were mere quibbles—the stove didn’t light, but someone came to check immediately and provided us with matches. The WiFi was included but spotty. There were a few tiny ants in the kitchen when we left snack foods out, but since when didn’t some insect or other come with the package in the Caribbean? The positives at Alisei greatly outnumbered the negatives. We had hot water without fail, plenty of pillows, nice sheets, fresh towels every day, fans in every room, free in–room safe, screens on all doors and windows were all intact, and a water cooler for drinking water was a very nice touch. If Las Terrenas is in your plans, this is the place to stay, and I think Alisei will be our Samana go–to spot.

As an aside, I’d like to expand on the contrast between our stay at Alisei and Grand Bahia Principe La Romana. Out of curiosity, since Grand Bahia Principe La Portilla is just down the beach from Alisei, I decided to check its recent reviews, and I was struck by the negative experiences that some reported there—they sounded almost exactly like the ones I described in excruciating detail from our visit to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana. It seems to me that that is no coincidence, but rather reflects a corporate and managerial culture. To first–time travelers to DR who stayed at Grand Bahia Principe La Portilla or La Romana, I would say not to write off DR but to try again somewhere other than the Grand Bahia Principe chain, as I believe they are not representative of range of possibilities in this great country. To those who have been to DR before, it’s clear that places like Alisei, as well as the Iberostar resorts (where we stayed in 2011 at Puerto Plata), are far superior options to the Grand Bahia Principe chain.

2  Thank Knuckle-draggeur
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I live in Santo Domingo and tend to run away from the big industrial all-inclusive resorts which usualy deceive me. I was very delighted to have chosen Alisei spontaneously when I arrived in Las Terrenas on Christmas eve. The place is not too big, recent, clean, it has a trendy design and style, the service and staff friendly, the rooms comfortable and the overall decor of the hotel is sleek and of good quality. My favorite spots: the beautiful natural beach, the pool and... the spa! Breakfast is pretty good and the hotel is at a walking distance from other cool restaurants and hot spots in town. Defenetaly a place I would come back to!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank SarAliNoah
Reviewed December 24, 2012

First time to Domincan Republic, and very happy with our choice of hotel. Alisei is a short walk from "town" (Las Terrenas is hardly a "city"). Although I typically enjoy getting away from the hotel, Alisei was an exception. The accomodations were very homey (basically a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment), with a large dining/living room and patio (with huge seating areas, dining tables/chairs, and a hammock). The pool area was very relaxing, with a swim up bar and drink/food service at poolside or your room.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Baraonda) was decent, with a selection of prepared food (bacon, sausage, hardboiled eggs, potato/plantain), and an alacarte grill for crepes/omelet (and ocassional pancakes/waffles). Fresh fruit/juice, breads and homemade yogurt ensure something for everyone. Lunch and dinner at the restaurant were a step up, with flawless preparations from fish carpaccio to pastas to dessert (we stuck with seafood all week, so can't speak to the quality of beef/meat). As much as I prefer to eat away from most hotels, this is a restaurant that is worth going to even if you are NOT staying at the hotel. Good selection, well prepared and great staff.

The hotel owners (Imke and Rocco) have built several properties in DR and choose to live here. They seem geniunely caring about the facility, their guests, the region and DR in general We need more people that are as concerned about long term sustainability rather than short term gains

Cons of the hotel? The mattresses and pillows are foam. My wife found the mattress hard (i prefer it that way), but I found the pillows hard (she prefers them that way). I was not so uncomfortable that I felt it necessary to request alternatives, so can't say if any were or were not available.

Finaly, there are quite a few stray cats and dogs on the property and beach. Although I am not fond of cats, they were not a nuisance and we put out fresh water for them each day and got used to them by the end of our visit.

All in all, a very comfortable and relaxing vacation. Good food, attentive staff, great room.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are very convenient to the pool but you may have unexpected feline visitors
3  Thank Julian_pa
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Alisei is a short walk to the city center. Breakfast is included and they have a full service bar/kitchen open until 10:30pm. All rooms have a patio or balcony. Nice pool, but we opted for the beach across the cobblestone street. The wifi didn't work in our room, but was fine on the balcony. Good times, I'd go back to Las Terranas.

• Stayed: December 2012
#15 of 35 in Las Terrenas
Villa Serena Hotel
Villa Serena Hotel
#1 of 4 in Las Galeras

Been to Hotel Alisei? Share your experiences!