“Favorite Place We Stayed”
Review of Hotel Alisei

Hotel Alisei
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family went to the Dominican Republic on vacation by invitation by our neighbor in the United States who are Dominican. They gave us a tour of their country and this Hotel was the pinnacle of our stay in terms of hotels. We were only disappointed that we didn't spend more time here rather than leaving for Punta Cana which was a huge disappointment.

The hotel is situated on a beautiful section of beach that is open to everyone, it is not partitioned off by hotel like your all inclusives are, which means you can walk all the way up the shoreline and enjoy the amazing view. You can even walk the shoreline to the small town and enjoy some night life or ice cream at the local Bon store.

I would call the guest rooms casitas as they are all at least 2 bedroom suites with 2 bathrooms and additional lounging or sleeping areas both in the gathering area inside by the kitchen and on the porch. Each casita has a porch with hammock and built in sectional so you can either sleep inside or out. The bathrooms are uber clean, the closets made of teakwood and there is ample storage space to park yourself for a week. In the late winter-early spring this area of Samana is the breeding ground for about 5,000 whales.

The pool is gorgeous with a small swim up bar. We were there with two other families who are Dominican, so one night we ate in the restaurant and enjoyed some of the best seafood of our entire stay. We ate Brazilian Lobster, crab and fish along with a tray of beef and pork tenderloin. We had 3 platters of the seafood and one platter of meat selections, appetizers, a couple beers and pina coladas, sodas and bottled water for 11 people was $150. The second night we cooked a traditional Dominican meal at the casitas and had our own dance party on the patio overlooking the ocean. It was wonderful to have the facilities to both eat out and in, plus the view and the pool were terrific. We brought our own coolers of beverages so we didn't go to the bar.

There are spa services on the premises but we didn't use them, although the packages were very affordable.

The hotel staff are very attentive, kind and thorough. They were very prompt about cleaning our casita, paying attention to when we were at breakfast so it was clean on our return. They even swept the patio, steps and walkways every morning.

Breakfast is included in the cost of the room, which for us was about $180 per night for 2 large rooms, 2 full baths, a kitchen, patio and extra sleeping in built in sectional couches. The breakfast has made to order waffles that are excellent, fresh local fruit like Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, Bananas and some traditional Dominican fare along with cereal, cheese, danishes and made to order eggs if you like.

We left this and went to Punta Cana for the reputed all inclusive resort experience and regretted leaving. Too much of a tourist trap for our liking, next time we will avoid Punta Cana all together and stay at Hotel Alisei to enjoy some whale watching, clean pristine beaches and the beauty of a very safe and lovely small town community.

Would I return? I'm already trying to figure out when we can get back to this property. It was superb in every way.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room on this property.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Lilusmom

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Nice rooms, super attentive staff. I felt safe. The rooms are like a little apartments.(pick one in the 3rd floor for the view) I only stayed a couple of days but next time I will plan to be there at least a week. The restaurant is great and convinient, the people went out of the way to please me and sometimes I know I am not that easy. So, thanks George. Bring your snorkle and you can see beautifull fish right in front of the hotel. Nice pool and a short walk from the city. I stayed later in one of these expensive Punta Cana Resorts and belive me this was a way better experience.

Room Tip: upper floors for ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank claudio f
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Las Terrenas is a busy little town, but Hotel Alisei is just down the street from the main part of town and is in a surprisingly quiet spot. The pool is lovely, the ocean view is great, the staff is incredibly welcoming, and the restaurant serves great food. We couldn't have been more happy with it.

One note, the part of the beach across from the hotel is not really for swimming, but you're not far from a good swimming beach when you stay there.

Room Tip: The apartments are very spacious, it's hard to pick a bad room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MoMighty
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed in the studio. A lot of stairs, but the view is amazing. Balcony is private. Grounds are well kept and pool is nice with water bar.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Djmitch
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Las Terrenas with its many beautiful beaches is a paradise, relaxed and natural without the full ocean-front covered with all-inclusive resorts.
The Alisei is an all-suites hotel, nicely arranged in a half circle and thus most suites have an ocean-view from their balconies. The entrance to the unit is from the stairs directly to the balcony with table and seats and place-mats as well as a hammock and cushions on a long bench – an ideal place to relax. The living-room/kitchen is completely furnished and the kitchen is equipped with everything you would need to prepare your own meal (and even more) – everything extremely clean and tidy. Each room has its own modern bathroom with all the products and amenities – even a clothes-line to dry your bathing suit.
Service from the front-desk as well as in the restaurant where you have your complimentary full buffet breakfast (with a daily changing choice of fresh fruit juices and eggs prepared to your liking) is served is very friendly, attentive and helpful. Housekeeping is excellent and arrives early so that you have your clean and made suite at disposition after the breakfast again. Towels are in a good number and beautifully soft. You get clean and well-kept beach-towels at the front desk.
We ate at their restaurant several times and have been very much satisfied with the choice and the preparation. Unfortunately the fisherman’s village with all the restaurants nearby has burnt down just before we arrived, so the choice of restaurants close-by has been limited – so we even more appreciated the restaurant on premises.
The beach in front of the resort is adequate for reading a book in the shadow, a perfectly nice and absolutely not crowded swimming beach (Playa Balenas) can be reached within a few steps along the beach. There have been no beach vendors and everybody we met on the beach has been very friendly. The long beaches are cleaned daily and are very well-kept. Even the debris in the water from the fire have been removed within no time.
Internet connection was missing the first few days after the fire, but was re-established soon and was working perfectly.
The village center itself is not really the place to write home about – we visited anyway. There is a nice and well-stocked supermarket where you could stock up if you do your own cooking – they even deliver. And there are some real nice fruit vendors. A taxi and excursion booth with fixed prizes is steps from the resort along the beach towards the village.

Room Tip: No elevator, so our choice was second floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Engadiner
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The hotel is nice and clean. Considering that it is DR where quality of service might be little different from what you would normally have in mind, this place is run pretty well. The only problem I had was at the restaurant. After a nice family dinner and few pictures I took with my iPhone we left the restaurant and went back to our rooms. In the morning I realized that my phone is gone. I looked in my room everywhere, but nothing, naturally I came to the conclusion that I left my phone on the restaurants table. I went to the reception to see if anybody found it but nobody new anything. Non of the restaurant staff knew anything ether! I do not have any proof but I'm pretty sure that one of the 2 staff people serving our table took it! The phone was on roaming only mode and was connected to the Hotel's WiFi. Atfter a day of waiting I initiated through my iPad (thank God I had the IPad with me) a remote wipe with "find my iPhone" app. A day after that I received an email conforming that the remote wipe have just completed. So there's only one way this could have happen, the phone was off for almost 2 days and then someone around the hotel's wifi area turned it on and probably wanted to see if it works and that's when the phone received the instruction to self wipe. I had a lot of important and private info on that phone and was quite terrified just thinking about what could happen if someone was able to get access to all of that. So I'm saying to all of you potential guests at Alisei Hotel: Be careful and don't leave anything behind like expensive electronic devices and especially in the restaurant area, because I'm pretty sure YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JarekZiaja
Reviewed July 4, 2012

A fantastic hotel, just off the beach. It appears to be fairly recently built and with great eye for detail.

We got a complimentary upgrade (which was not mentioned, but well appreciated) and had a room on the ground floor next to the swimming pool (which has a bar in it!). We never experienced any issues with being so close to the pool, as it was not crowded, even though the hotel was full.

The restaurant is good quality for breakfast as well as dinner and there are some nice restaurants nearby as well. You can walk there, but I recommend taking a moto concho, a ride on the back of the motor of the "taxi driver". Also possible with two persons!

The spa was amazing, and I still regret only going there just once. Price wise it was very attractive as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
#15 of 35 in Las Terrenas
Villa Serena Hotel
Villa Serena Hotel
#1 of 4 in Las Galeras

Been to Hotel Alisei? Share your experiences!