“Great Location!”
other travelers have booked this property
Terrace of two bedroom bungalow just steps to the pool
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Terrace of two bedroom bungalow just steps to the pool
Walkway leading to pool and two bedroom bungalow
King Bedroom (optional air conditioning)
Fully Stocked Kitchen
Queen Bedroom
Two bedroom bungalow with studio just steps away - rented together can accommodate up to 6 people
One bedroom bungalow garden setting
Two bedroom bungalow
Catamaran Excursions
Countryside
More of the Country
Daily Fishing Excursions
Fish Market (Fresh Catch of the Day)
Kite Excursions/Schools
Los Haitises
Sailing School
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Natasha P
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Great Location!”
Reviewed June 22, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

I greatly enjoyed my stay at El Nido de Las Ballenas Bungalow. The property was very clean and quaint. It was also within easy walking distance to the beach and in close proximity to many shops and restaurants. It was the best of both worlds offering access to the area’s activities and also providing an oasis to relax. Would definitely stay here again!

Traveling group: Friends
Jun 29, 2015
Wonderful to hear from you and to read your review. It was great to have you share time here with us and we look forward to your return!
Reviewed May 19, 2015 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The great hospitality that the owner has in her beautiful place, the food, the wonderful beaches, the restaurants, the safety and the warmth of the Dominican people
Liked least: My stay was too short
Traveling group: Friends
May 22, 2015
Thank You for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! It was wonderful to have you here and we definitely look forward to your return…….we take pride in our bungalows and appreciate when guests are comfortable and pleasantly surprised with the comfort the town and we at El Nido can provide!

Carolyn

Traveling group: Extended Family
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
May 2, 2015
Thank you for such a wonderful review of the property! It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us here. You are always upbeat and positive, such a joy to be around and we truly look forward to your return here in the future! Carolyn
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

Liked best: Location
Liked least: power outage across town was inconvenient but not a result of owner issues. Simply uncontrollable.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mar 18, 2015
It is most appreciated that you have taken the time to write a review of our property, your comments are very much appreciated. We value your comments regarding our property as the staff take their roles very seriously to provide the quality our customers would expect and deserve.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon, Carolyn
Juno Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2015 for a stay in December 2014

Liked best: The total atmosphere , charming and comfortable
Liked least: I cannot think of anything that I didn't like.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jan 23, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and property. Our staff take their roles very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service and upkeep of the grounds and bungalows, that our guests would expect and deserve.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon, Carolyn
Jo-Anne P
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“The "new" El Nido - FAIL.”
Reviewed January 9, 2015 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

This is the first season for the new owner, Carolyn [--], and I hope, for the sake of Las Terrenas vacationers, the last.

The marketing and available information about the facility is out of date and misleading; the place has NO privacy, is NOT family or pet friendly, not solo female traveler friendly, and it is definitely not even remotely close to a “3 minute walk” to anything, never mind the beach. It IS men-entertaining-prostitutes-friendly, however, so there’s that, if you’re interested.

In the end, the owner kept all of the 3 months of upfront payments I made, though I was only there less than a week and a half.

The owner provided an open door policy for prostitutes, who came and went all day and night, every day and night. I, personally, was deliberately put (and then kept) in harm’s way after being set up (I am not saying by whom, or who was in cahoots with whom, but circumstantial evidence adds up to one source) and robbed of my stuff, including my dog and my bungalow keys, at the start of what became the “LT Power Crisis/Riots/Marshall Law of November, 2014” and was in fear for my life at times – a fear the owner then further exploited by refusing to move me away from the exposed street or at least changing the lock to my place, and outright refusing to provide or maintain any safety provisions such as an oil lamp, during the ongoing, daily/nightly power/water outages and riots. Only a keychain sized flashlight was provided to me.

After being warned to stay out of town for ID-ing one of the thugs who stole my stuff and my dog (at the owner’s encouragement), the owner’s safety solution was a glib comment advising me to change my hair and buy new clothes so I wouldn’t be recognized. I also had to accept the regular inconvenience of intrusions by the various prostitutes, the other guest, owner, owner’s workers, her local boyfriend, etc. using my bungalow outlet, whether I was there or not, to charge devices when the owner would finally run the generator for a few minutes once or twice a day.

Btw, also contrary to the advertising, there is no French-trained chef to cook up your “catch of the day”– there is no chef at all. In fact no food or drink are offered, and there is no common area except a small edge around the pool, which serves mostly as the outdoor space for two other units as well as the owners private patio.

You will have to have transportation to get anywhere from el Nido but there is no place to park a car. (first beach/paved road is about 15 min. walk, edge of town and best beaches are about a 45 min. or so walk).

There also is an obnoxious big dog who has the run of the place - one who wouldn’t leave my little, old LT rescue dog alone for a second, ate his food, and who peed on my stuff and all over the inside and out of my bungalow on a daily basis.

By day 9 or 10, when I got through to a friend in Sosua who finally came to rescue me and get me away from the escalating crisis', bungalow lockdown, and threats for a weekend or so until some of the most immediate issues might have subsided, Carolyn treated her and her friend (my guests) with an appalling lack of hospitality upon their arrival - it was so uncomfortable that we left within the hour. Then the owner notified me she wanted to rent my bungalow out through February to someone else, effectively ending my 3+ month Las Terrenas vacation before it even began.

She then (and to date has) refused to refund any of my money, wrongly and illegally keeping/stealing 3 months worth of upfront payments I made to her directly/personally even though I was only there 9-10 days (all but the very first day were filled with trauma, fear, and hell, and I still offered to apply an amount equal to about 3/4 of a months worth just for the week and a half).

For 2 years I sold my treasures and planned for this trip - my 17 year old daughter was supposed to join me in January to do independent study and community volunteering for part of her senior year in high school. Instead I am back in freezing, snowy CT hoping that the el Nido owner will finally see common, business sense and act in good faith/do the right thing and return the money she is robbing from me so my daughter and I can get on a plane to the DR and try to salvage our plans.

Oh, and one more thing - I was charged 70 US plus tip, not 60 as agreed in writing, for the airport pick up/transfer (long route) that Carolyn arranged.

Feel free to contact me.

NOTE: Wherever you stay, do not pay anyone personally through paypal – it doesn’t qualify as a covered purchase and you, like me, will be left with no recourse.
Las Terrenas is wonderful and there are loads of great places to stay, such as casa del mar neptunia or http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g259440-d5983365-Fabulously_located_close_to_town_beaches_2bd_1ba-Las_Terrenas_Samana_Province_Dominica.html or contact Amy Moorehouse at Dreams 2 Reality and she’ll hook you up. I kick myself for not using her for this last trip.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: bungalow itself was pretty clean, though very tiny.
Liked least: being robbed/exploited by the owner
Traveling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Jan 21, 2015
It is most regrettable that your recent trip and stay were not to your satisfaction. As with all bookings, a deposit is acquired in the event of no shows, missed, changed or reduced stays and damages. In this instance a partial reimbursement was offered and ignored, subsequently citing a full refund despite staying here, abandoning the original reservation and damages to the property.

Every effort by El Nido is made to ensure you have a pleasant stay, and consistent with booking services, we take the opportunity to reasonably resolve matters privately and directly. In this unique instance, it is clear, we have very different perspectives on this matter and are unable to reach an agreeable resolution.

We couldn’t agree more that this is a lovely destination, lots of options for places to stay. Guests and businesses must be carefully screened and fully understand their mutual obligations. We wish you the very best in your future travels.

Returning, new guests and booking companies to El Nido are welcome to contact us at anytime for information regarding our rental bungalows, local amenities and general information.
Marilee K
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

I had the good fortune to stay at the "Nidos" for 3 months, from January through March. I absolutely loved it and miss it a lot!

Carolyn is a wonderful hostess, making sure you are comfortable and taken care of. The bungalows are adorable and comfortable. The bed and sheets were fantastic! Carolyn added water features while I was there, providing a nice background sound to lull you to sleep. I was crazy about the gorgeous pool, and used it every day.

The bungalows are well maintained and cleaned every day. The staff are wonderful and engaging. Carolyn has an adorable dog, Beethoven, who will steal your heart! It is such a pleasure to be there, you may want to spend all your time there, but yes, there is the beach and the town of Las Terrenas nearby!

It's a short walk to the beautiful beach. The "Pescadores," where there are many excellent restaurants, is about a 15 minute walk and the town is just a bit further. You can take many interesting excursions from there. The tour operators will come and pick you up just down the road from the Bugalows.

This was my first time visiting the Dominican Republic. It is an absolutely gorgeous country with wonderful people. The Samana Peninsula, on the northern coast, where Las Terrenas is, is STUNNING!

The "Nidos" is a great place. I would go there again in a heartbeat!

Liked best: the pool!
Liked least: no indoor living space
Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Families with young children
May 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review - it was a pleasure to have you here for 3 months and truly hope to see you again, miss seeing you here!!!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing