“Amazing!!!”

Jurassic Park Hotel
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I met Dominic and Helena about 5 years ago when they first moved to Las Terrenas from the UK and they have created a true paradise in that time!! Waterfalls, an Avatar Tree, SO MANY FIREFLIES...surrounded by friendly Dominicans. We could not have gotten the same experience if we had stayed at a resort. Dominic is so full of local knowledge and can tell you the best places to go that are not in any guide books.

If you are use to hotels and lots of amenities...this is not the place for you, and yes...it is about a 5 minute moto ride to the beach (but that was half the fun!). However, if you are up for an adventure, have an open mind, love to get into the local culture and are just a fun person you will fall in love. We will ABSOLUTELY be back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slauger

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was really disappointed in the place. It is not at all what they advertise. The hosts are SUPER nice, but they are not honest in what they advertise.

First of all, it is not in Las Tarrranas. When they say "3-5 minutes" they mean a 10 minute taxi ride (if you take a motorcycle taxi) from the town. It is two suburbs out. The "short stroll" to the waterfalls shown on the page involved a drive before the short stroll. You can't really get anywhere on foot.

The photos are VERY old. The lovely thatched roofs have been replaced by corrugated aluminum, or not replaced at all. The trampoline has a hole big enough for me to fit through. The pool is green, with tadpoles growing in it and a half-finished concrete building behind it, with rusting rebar coming out the top. The "bar" is a little hut, with a roof you can stargaze through.

You have to wade through a small stream to get to the property, and when it rained, it went very high on my thighs. I'm only 5'4" so I turned back and my 6 foot tall friend felt comfortable going to town for groceries. Also, if it rains your water will run pure mud, like something out of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I only had hot water once in the 6 days I was there.

They are not bungalows. Each room is connected to another on at least 1 side, which means if your neighbors watch movies all day, you'll be listening to the movies. Also, you'll be hearing music from neighboring houses a great deal (all day on the weekend days I was there).

I think if they accurately advertised their place, or if I had a car, and they charged commensurate with what they are offering, it could be lovely for people with a car, who don't mind a funky place. BUT DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR AND WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH!!

My friend minded some things that didn't bother me: there is no front door--just a metal grate and a mosquito net. There's no shower curtain. There are quite a few bugs. The kids are sweet, but the boy running around naked and peeing on the lawn bothered my friend.

The family is super-nice, which makes the whole thing super-awkward. They're mis-representing their place. I tried to make the most of it, but I really disliked the misrepresentations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank flahooley
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently spent 8 glorious nights at The Jurassic Park, we've been in Las Terrenas many times and this has to be the best place to stay for the money. The jurassic atmosphere with small secret paths, waterfalls and natural pools is fantastic, the staff amazing, the view out of this world and the room excellent. I could go on and on about how great this place is but instead I'll just say - do yourself a favour and stay here, you won't regret it! We are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

1st: Please Don't Listen To These Horrid Comments. Go For Yourself If You Want A True Adventrue. It was the best place to be if you like: the quiet, nature, natural pool without the chlorine, less tourists, real people with the good and bad, back road routes to enjoy while walking into town(where others live off the land), solar panelled, the Fireflys helped to fine my way through grounds, The Magical Avitar Tree (Gotta Touch It & Embrace The Energy)!! A Whole Bungalow to Myself with a full kitchen incl: dishes, utensils, fridge, jug of water, hangers, couch, hammock with little patio set for porch and shower with toilet. I may have not had hot water but it was ok. I did have a hot shower but prefered my cold showers. The Cool Air Helped Me Fall Asleep Quicker Than Hot.

Room Tip: The Left Bungalow if staring from main house. It felt more spacious than the other rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank feetoes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Not my greatest holiday experience.
Think 2/3 stars is a fair review. Someone giving a 5 star review from the same town (las terrenas) staying for 3 months, rather than 3 days in june, july and august (the rainy season) when the resort isnt open, doesnt seem fair.
Jurassic park for me is like marmite..... you either love it or hate it !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank jonny o
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We came over with my cousin for 15 days which is generally a long time to spend in hotel just by a pool and on ''private'' beach. That´s why we wanted to skip the all-in offers, and go a bit self standing. And to be honest, I don´t feel like going into all-in hotel ever again !! This was absolutely amazing vacation, which will be remembered forever !
OK, for 30 bucks a night you can´t expect a 5* hotel, but we had all we needed.
Many people complaint about mosquitoes, but they are a pain in the @ss only on the beach and after sunset, so another minus for all-in hotels ! The fact, that this place is positioned away from the beach and quite above the sea leavel, makes a difference!
Every trip to the town or beach was a challenge, and walking all the way down is a must to do! People can get lazy once they discover the local transport way - motoconcho (or however they write it), still we had so much fun and walked down plenty of times ... the way back on a motorbike is a better choice :)
Absolutely breath taking is the night sky watched from the roof of the bungalows, in combination with all the jungle-sounds around you, it is really a perfect relaxing spot after whole tiring day...
Maybe you are waiting for some complaints, but basically there aren´t any ! Now if I think again, I can find 2 ...
1) Crossing a creek on the way to JP. Actually this is a problem only by arrival or departure, otherwise flipflops can handle that ...
2) Our bungalow was the last which had the water installed, so the watertank was cleaned with some thinners and the water was really stinky and not comfy to have shower. But this was solved quickly as we got keys from another bungalow where water was totally OK ...
Helena, Dominic and kids are a lovely family, we had a lots of fun, they help you with tips not to be totally lost there. They even arrange things if needed, but I encourage you to try to do most of things yourself .. it is a totally different experience to speak with locals and get more into their daily life (and sometimes you even get a better deal ..)
To sum things up, if you are bored with being locked in golden cage in all-in hotels, and you are looking for an adventure and experience, just go here ! You gonna love it !
I rated 4* just because there is always a place for improvement. 5* won´t be challenging ;)

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vanouver
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First of all I'd like to say that I strongly disagree with the recent reviews because they are just about complaining. Those people don't know what adventure means. It's true that it's not close to the beach but it only costs like $1 to get to the beach by motorbike and it takes 10 minutes. Once you get to the main road (3mins walk from Jurassic Park) all the locals will be offering you a ride anywhere you want. Owners (Helen & Dominic) are very friendly and willing to help in any situation. I stayed for 15 days in JP and it was very pleasant experience to live in the middle of such a beautiful forest. Rooms were clean and there were no bed bugs at all (like mentioned in one of the reviews). There is a swimming pool at JP with natural water from forest which sooo refreshing. There are lots of bars to hang out at night. Girls are breathtakingly beautiful :) I am definitely going back in the future and I really recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends