Our family of 3 just returned from a wonderfully relaxing week's stay at Balcones del Atlantico. The property is so new and pristine inside the units, the brand new fitness center, Porto (the only restaurant on the property), as well as anywhere on the grounds. It's truly lovely and feels so undiscovered.
We were pleasantly surprised by a room upgrade. The apartment was beautifully appointed - you couldn't ask for more - a full Viking Professional kitchen with a large double door fridge/freezer, blender, toaster, Villeroy & Boch china, fine glassware, etc., large bathrooms with marble/granite everywhere and high design sinks, faucets, furniture. The sheets are the nicest I've ever slept on and I never wanted to take the bathrobe off, it was so soft and roomy. I truly appreicated the large closets in each bathroom. The balcony was large and homey for dining (we ordered room service 3 times because the apartment was so comfortable) and stretching out to read in the oversized furniture.
There was no feeling like this was a holiday week. There were enough chairs at the pools - maybe a few more chairs and more cushions could have been available at the beach, but we always found a place to sit. Another very nice touch was being greeted by a personal concierge, who provided us with a mobile phone for local use and with his contact information already prgrammed into the phone. This was so helpful, especially when we needed to arrange for a taxi into/from town (Las Terrenas) or just had questions.
Since our family just wanted to reconnect with our college-aged child this trip, it was a great place to chill out and relax on the water and catch up on VOD movies, cook some comfort food and take lots of naps with no schedule. The property needs another restaurant or a more expanded menu. Porto was decent food but very limited, especially if you can't eat shellfish and don't like raw fish/ceviche. We made 3 trips to the grocery store in town and cooked more than I'd ever cook on vacation because there wasn't enough variety on site. (It would have been nice to have a few more sandwiches and a chef's salad or cobb salad for lunch and a few chicken dishes at dinner.) Also, I hope they have plans soon for a small mini-mart onsite to pick up some basics - water (since you can't drink faucet water), bread, fruit, cold cuts, salad, some basic snacks and soda.
We were on the second floor, which was great except when the family right below us used their BBQ grill, then we couldn't sit on our balcony because of all the smoke. I'd like to book a penthouse next time for a bit more privacy.
The staff were very accommodating and warm. We will definitely return. With the new airport and JetBlue non-stop from NYC, it could even become a favorite destination given the high quality of the property. Next time we'll rent a car to explore other beaches and find some other things to do that don't need a tour company to arrange - a hike to the local waterfall, visiting other beaches, snorkeling, a drive to Sosua to visit the old synagogue, more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Xeliter Balcones del Atlántico, the newest luxury resort in the Dominican Republic. Balcones features lavish one- two and three bedroom villa suites, Porto, a beachfront restaurant and bar, and a wide variety of Caribbean vacation activities including watersports, eco-tourism and more. Get the full luxury experience by staying at the Penthouse Villa where you will enjoy a rooftop deck offering incredible views, an impressive private plunge pool, and close to 4000 sq ft. of luxury space for 6 to 7 friends or family. Located on the Dominican Republic's Samaná Peninsula, Balcones del Atlántico is nestled in a lush tropical oasis on nearly a kilometer of Playa Las Terrenas. Discover some of the world's most pristine beaches, untouched landscapes and underwater splendors while enjoying world-class accommodations and amenities. Check out our current Caribbean vacation packages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balcones Del Atlantico, a Rock Hotel Las Terrenas
- Xeliter Balcones Del Atlantico Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic