“Very relaxing, luxurious vacation”

Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Las Terrenas
New York City, New York
“Very relaxing, luxurious vacation”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family of 3 just returned from a wonderfully relaxing week's stay at Balcones del Atlantico. The property is so new and pristine inside the units, the brand new fitness center, Porto (the only restaurant on the property), as well as anywhere on the grounds. It's truly lovely and feels so undiscovered.

We were pleasantly surprised by a room upgrade. The apartment was beautifully appointed - you couldn't ask for more - a full Viking Professional kitchen with a large double door fridge/freezer, blender, toaster, Villeroy & Boch china, fine glassware, etc., large bathrooms with marble/granite everywhere and high design sinks, faucets, furniture. The sheets are the nicest I've ever slept on and I never wanted to take the bathrobe off, it was so soft and roomy. I truly appreicated the large closets in each bathroom. The balcony was large and homey for dining (we ordered room service 3 times because the apartment was so comfortable) and stretching out to read in the oversized furniture.

There was no feeling like this was a holiday week. There were enough chairs at the pools - maybe a few more chairs and more cushions could have been available at the beach, but we always found a place to sit. Another very nice touch was being greeted by a personal concierge, who provided us with a mobile phone for local use and with his contact information already prgrammed into the phone. This was so helpful, especially when we needed to arrange for a taxi into/from town (Las Terrenas) or just had questions.

Since our family just wanted to reconnect with our college-aged child this trip, it was a great place to chill out and relax on the water and catch up on VOD movies, cook some comfort food and take lots of naps with no schedule. The property needs another restaurant or a more expanded menu. Porto was decent food but very limited, especially if you can't eat shellfish and don't like raw fish/ceviche. We made 3 trips to the grocery store in town and cooked more than I'd ever cook on vacation because there wasn't enough variety on site. (It would have been nice to have a few more sandwiches and a chef's salad or cobb salad for lunch and a few chicken dishes at dinner.) Also, I hope they have plans soon for a small mini-mart onsite to pick up some basics - water (since you can't drink faucet water), bread, fruit, cold cuts, salad, some basic snacks and soda.

We were on the second floor, which was great except when the family right below us used their BBQ grill, then we couldn't sit on our balcony because of all the smoke. I'd like to book a penthouse next time for a bit more privacy.

The staff were very accommodating and warm. We will definitely return. With the new airport and JetBlue non-stop from NYC, it could even become a favorite destination given the high quality of the property. Next time we'll rent a car to explore other beaches and find some other things to do that don't need a tour company to arrange - a hike to the local waterfall, visiting other beaches, snorkeling, a drive to Sosua to visit the old synagogue, more.

Room Tip: Nothing is that far a walk from anywhere else at this point. You can't have a bad location.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank panicbuttonnyc
Maxaida M, General Manager at Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback and let us know that your really enjoyed your stay in Balcones del Atlántico.

We value it enormously and very much appreciate your visit.

We look forward to host you again in Las Terrenas,

Balcones del Atlántico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this holiday trip last minute, so we didn't do our usual research. Traveling with two toddlers, we were admittedly a bit nervous that Balcones and the Samana region infrastructure/airport were relatively new. Our anxiety was quickly lifted, as the hotel reservations manager (Eunice) escorted us from the airport to the hotel, where we were greeted with chilled towelettes and water. Without even a request, Eunice had installed a car seat for my 2 y/o. Check-in was quick and simple and our 2-bedroom, 2.5 bath unit magnificent! Spacious, clean, fully equipped, and the decor and masonry just beautiful. The hotel has three pools (all kid friendly) and the beach is one of the most beautiful I've seen (very natural coastline; similar to Northern Kuai). The restaurant, Porto, is on the beach and the staff incredibly friendly and accomodating. The chef, Bruno, even gave my 4 y/o son a tour of the kitchen. The menu at Porto is also outstanding - notably the Ceviche!

We also celebrated my birthday on this trip, and 10+ staff (front desk, pool, cleaning staff) greeted me in my room with champagne and a special cake, along with chanting, "Feliz cumpleaños!" Service doesn't get better or more genuine than this. I thank them (and my family) for the best birthday. And, of course, the added Christmas tree in our room and Santa on the beach were bonuses with my children.

My family travels a lot both domestically and internationlly and we often call these "trips" (not vacations). Balconnes made this holiday a true vacation, as they made it so simple, so accomodating, and were so accepting of my children.

Thanks, Balconnes. And, thanks to Eunice, Darling, Victor, Maxine, Bruno, Antonio, Cuervo, Hailey, Maria, and all the others who contributed to this trip and to a wonderful operation. Remember: don't grow too much!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the A building, I think, which was the newer developed units. These were 1 minute to t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PlumbFamily
Maxaida M, General Manager at Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Customer:

Thank you for this valuable review. We sincerely appreciate having you as a guest in our property, and would like to thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. In our efforts to continually improve operations and exceed guest expectations, your comments will help us provide great experiences for future guests.

We are glad to hear that you really enjoyed your christmas vacations along with your family.

We strive to ensure all stays exceed expectations your comments and feedback will help to do this as well as reward the staff you acknowledged. It makes my job easier when I'm able to recognize specific individuals for a job well done, more fun to. I 'll be sure to share your comments about the Staff with their manager and I will acknowledge them personally.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

My best regards and happy new year!

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2012

i was looking for a fun,relaxing vacation for me and my husband and i came across this special offer for 3 nights and the fourth night free through jet blue to balcones del atlantico at samana dominican republic,going on saturday and returning on wednesday.i got super excited because ive never been there and the offer sounded great.the flight was really relaxing.and when i arrived at the airport everyone had a huge smile and were very welcoming,there was this beautiful gentelmen waiting for me and he had a sign with my name and a big smile.this guys name i think was darlyn and he explanied everything to me about samana on the bus and offered me a fresh towel and drinks.when i arrived at the hotel it was everything i expected it was beautiful,relaxing,tropical and had a great vibe.at the front desk there was one person doing the check in and i didnt have to wait long.i got to my room right away and my room was breathtaking.beautiful terrace,comfortable living room,kitchen,clean bathroom and gorgeous bedroom i was more then happy and excited.had a fresh drink and my vacation had officially started.we went to the swimming pool,and to the beach and also went to the restaurant i think it was called porto restaurant.the service was great and the food was delicious.we also went on excursions and tours that were recommended we also went to the waterfall it was so fun and beautiful.the front desk also checked our flight info and had our transportation arranged,we also asked for late check out and there was no charge.we loved it,and i will never forget this amazing vacation and really recommend it.

Room Tip: you can ask for the one bed room suite with Jacuzzi
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sergio m
Maxaida M, Manager at Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your kindly feedback and for letting us know that you really enjoyed your vacations in Balcones.

We look forward to host you again in a near future.

Many thanks!

brooklyn, ny
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and two sons (14 and 19) spent Thanksgiving week here and had the Best. Vacation. Ever. We stayed in a two bedroom villa with a hot tub. It was basically a luxury apartment—spacious, lovely, with an huge outdoor space and a full size kitchen—everything super high-end—from viking range (though I couldn't imagine turning it on) to frette linen on the beds. This was the perfect vacation for our family—we just really wanted to relax and spend time together. If you’re looking for the all-inclusive, activity oriented resort type of place, you'll be disappointed. This is a place to chill out and do your own thing.
Details
The property itself is lovely and meticulously taken care of. There are two pools, which to my mind were more decorative than anything else. The beach which is a across the street, is truly spectacular. We spent pretty much all day hanging out, reading, and taking breaks at the beach bar. Everyone at Porto (the beach bar and the restaurant) was super friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to do anything we asked for. Just sitting on the beautiful deck, drinking ice-cold beer, eating French fries and watching the ocean was a peek vacation experience. The people who work at the hotel could not have been nicer, more helpful and just genuinely made us feel like they cared right down to delicious cookies left in our room when our beds were turned down at night.
After a week at even some of the swankiest 5 star resorts, I've always found myself feeling like I needed a break—if you’re at an all-inclusives, the sameness of the food starts to seem gross after awhile and at other high-end resorts $10 dollar cups of coffee or having to eat every meal in a fancy dining room can wear thin after awhile. I never felt that way at Balcones. There was nothing superficial about the professionalism of the staff or the awesomeness of the surrounding or the comfort of the apartments.
I only have two negatives: The first, I wish that there had been towel service at the beach. And second, there was no full length mirror in the rooms. I highly recommend this hotel as one of the favorites my family has stayed at—especially if you’re extremely picky (or discriminating) as I am.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank parksloper718
Maxaida M, General Manager at Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Warm regards from Balcones del Atlántico, Las Terrenas.

Thank you for this great and helpfull review. We sincerely appreciate having you as a guest in our property, and would like to thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. In our efforts to continually improve operations and exceed guest expectations, your comments will help us provide great experiences for future guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with future travelers.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

Best regards,

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Its a paradise in middle of the Samaná Region. Its a beachfront hotel with all what you need for rest and enjoy all. Very good food, pools, nature, churc, children's areas and every thing you need.
Personal perfectly trainned to serve you. I higly recommend this hotel for your vacations!

Room Tip: Third floor in front of pools
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dominican Republic
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Its a really beautiful place.. Amazing beach and apartments are cute and confortable, nice people, nice pool.. The only thing is they don't have a restaurant within the hotel, but they include some meals on your package in a restaurant close of the hotel and they take you there, but I recomend to go out and explore local restaurants and bars around the hotel.. They're nice and cheaper.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank sandra g
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well, it is a fairly new establishment and when we stayed here in February it was definitely expierencing some growing pains. They were unorganized in terms of accommodations even though we were literally one of six families staying there at the time. One of the women at the front desk was clueless and always baffled and seemed to have no training or knowledge of the hotel. Our first night was miserable because we got in late after a two hour bus ride (nobody told usthat) where it literally seemed like we were driving through hell. Anyway we were given the wrong room and it was a rough first night. However besides that our stay was wonderful and vey positive. The beach is exquisite and although it is not all that big it is a great space to relax in paradise. The food at the restaurant was very good and the chef Bruno toso was extremely knowledgable and willing to talk to his customers about their meals and was open to any suggestions. I really believe Bruno is an up and coming star as a chef in the Caribbean area. One more positive thing I would like to add was that most of the staff was very helpful and out going even though most of them did not speak English. I have to give a shout out to my man Ricardo who helped us relocate rooms, fix the wifi and was very understanding and easy to communicate with. Also we loved all of the waitstaff at the restaurant especially Anyelo who was an absolute homie and was hilarious.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
#6 of 34 in Las Terrenas
Xeliter Vista Mare Samana
Xeliter Vista Mare Samana
#1 of 1 in Punta Balandra

Been to Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico? Share your experiences!