My husband and I stayed 5 nights in early March with our 1.5 year old son. Our room was spacious and comfortable; there was nothing not to love about the rooms. Our building was a little further setback from the beach, so about a 5-7 minute walk. It didn't bother us, but it might be nice to request a unit close to the beach. Our package included a few meals at the restaurant. I found the restaurant to be a bit overpriced (eggs/potatoes with toast and a coffee is $18 + 16% tax + 10% service). Dinner was ok, but nothing spectacular. We went to all sorts of different restaurants in town, the best being La Salsa and El Cayuco. They were all wonderful and very cheap in comparison to the hotel restaurant. The service at the hotel was overall very friendly and good, albeit slightly rough around the edges, which I've come to expect from more developing countries. There were only 2 very minor things that I could have done without:
1. We went to the front desk to ask for restaurant recs. She recommended a restaurant, which happened to be the #1 restaurant on tripadvisor. I asked where it is and she had no idea. She highlighted on a map which road it is on (the largest road in Las Terrenas that EVERYTHING is off of), but couldn't tell me where it was on the road. I had her make reservations for us. We drove back and forth on the road and even stopped to ask for directions, but we couldn't find it. Granted, we had a screaming toddler in the backseat, so it's not like we spent half hour looking for the restaurant, but we did give it a good shot. The front desk lady called later that night asking why we didn't show up to the restaurant and was dumbfounded when we said we couldn't find it.
2. I swam in the pool 3 different days. The first day was fine, but the other 2 were kind of gross. They hadn't cleaned it (I was the only one at the pool) so there were lots of dead bugs and debris in it. Not super bothersome because my son made a game out of splashing away the dead bugs, but nonetheless not what you'd expect from a nice hotel.
Despite those minor things, we still hope to return someday soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, the newest luxury resort in the Dominican Republic. Balcones features lavish one- two and three bedroom villa suites, a beachfront Spa, Porto, a beachfront restaurant and bar, and a wide variety of Caribbean vacation activities including watersports, eco-tourism and more. Get the full luxury experience by staying at the Penthouse Villa where you will enjoy a rooftop deck offering incredible views, an impressive private plunge pool, and close to 4000 sq ft. of luxury space for 6 to 7 friends or family. Located on the Dominican Republic's Samana Peninsula, Balcones del Atlantico is nestled in a lush tropical oasis on nearly a kilometer of Playa Las Terrenas. Discover some of the world's most pristine beaches, untouched landscapes and underwater splendors while enjoying world-class accommodations and amenities. Check out our current Caribbean vacation packages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balcones Del Atlantico, a Rock Hotel Las Terrenas
- Xeliter Balcones Del Atlantico Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic