Just returned from a 14 night stay in DR. We had booked a standard room which was more than adequate, being large and spacious with a massive bed. The hotel is kept spotless by the staff and the food was delicious and superbly laid out.
We did try the Al La Carte but gave up waiting and returned to the buffet restaurant to serve ourselves immediately with lovely food.
The hotel is spotless along with the beach and water around the coral reefs. We had great fun feeding all the fish with bread and meat scraps from the restaurants.
If you struggle to walk all you have to do is call up reception from your room and they send the hotel tuk-tuk truck to pick you up and bring you back to reception area.
Our one and only complaint was sadly a lack of nightlife either in hotel or outside locally. We normally enjoy dinner then like to walk or take a taxi to local town to walk about sight seeing.
The local town if you can call it one. is Las Terrenas, which you can walk around in 5 mins and not really a place for spending an evening.
We and friends with us found we were going to bed around 10-30 out of boredom ........when we go to Gambia or Thailand we are never in bed before 3 am lol.
If you like a lovely clean hotel with a great selection delicious buffet foods, good cocktails and bar staff and enjoy quite evenings then this place is simply perfect for you .
We and our 2 friends were asked by a hotel chap called Belinde if we would like to change hotels for the last 3 nights as our hotel was overbooked. We were glad for a change of scenery and were offered Rio San Juan 2 hrs back towards the airport or Bacardi Island a further hr away from airport. We chose San Juan ....big mistake!!!
We were promised gold band upgrades and Junior suites plus $300 (£200) cash . We got the cash as we refused to leave at last minute til compensated and never got the gold band upgrade or junior suite promised.
The people we met at airport coming home that had chosen Bacardi Island were really spoilt with free lobster, caviar, room upgrades plus cash as well. While Bacardi Island is a lovely exclusive hotel, Rio San Juan was like dropping from 5 stars down to 4 stars lol.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Expedia, TravelUp, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic