My sister and brother-in-law and my husband and I (in our 50's) stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo from Feb 5 to Feb 19, 2013. The ride from the airport was just 40 minutes with beautiful scenery along the way. Check in takes place on the bus so when you get to the hotel you just have to pay for your safe and you are on your way. The room was very nice and was kept spotlessly clean by the cleaning staff. Yes the TV is small but we didn't come to watch TV so not a problem.
We have been to Mexico once, Cuba three times and the Dominican five times and I have never seen a more beautiful beach. The water is crystal clear, you don't really need snorkel gear as the fish come and swim around your feet when you're standing in knee high water. Simply amazing!
The food in the buffets (main and beach) was very good as was the food in the restaurants. The Italian was our favorite, best salmon I've ever had. The beach buffet has fried pork, my husband is Hungarian and it tasted just like his Mom used to make! All excellente!
We didn't do any of the excursions as we have done some on other trips but we were never bored. The animacion staff (Daniel, Charlie and others) kept us busy playing games, bingo bocci ball, darts,or sometimes we just watchied the action. The staff never seem to run out of energy. It was all great fun.
My sister and I went to Las Terrenas twice. You can take a cab but the gua gua is cheaper and alot more interesting. Gua gua is Spanish for clown car, you squeeze as many people as you possibly can into a small van or pickup truck, we counted one van we were in had 15 people and 3 children. Breathing is difficult but there is no side door so air circulation is good. We had the time of our lives! The people are so friendly. We got dropped off at Plaza Paseo, walked through shops and also walked down the streets looking at the other shops.
All in all we had a great time at the El Portillo and highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a wonderful vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic