Returned last night after a wonderful week. The hotel grounds are very spacious and clean. The Beach was great for long walks. Snorkling off the beach was wonderful - lots to see. We usually spent the day at the beach and then moved to small pool by Building 10/11 for games, drinks. The buffet offered a great variety and was very good. We did not enjoy the Seafood Restaurant but the Italian more than made up for it. The Specialty restaurant was also very good. I agree with previous comments about the extra charge for the safe key - $28.00. We have never had to pay for this separately before!! Staff was most pleasant. There sometimes was a problem with dishes - no wineglasses, cups, spoons - but it really was not a big deal. Also, you had to pay for some "specialty" drinks. Unfortunately scotch (good) was one of these - but we all managed and did not come away thirsty. We had booked a Whale Watching trip with Kim Biddell (Whale Samana) before we left. Our travel rep at the hotel tried to discourage us because it was not hotel sanctioned. After all the reviews we had read about her trips - we would not be discouraged. We had to get our own transportation into Samana. No problem - bell boy got us a taxi ($120.00 for 10 people - return) The whale excursion was well worth every penny. I learned more about whales before I even saw one. We saw several whales - they were putting on a show for us. Kim explained what they were doing, habits, etc. GREAT EXCURSION. The next day we did an ATV trip with Terry (Tours by Terry) Once again, this was a great trip. We saw so much - off the beaten track and learned a great deal about the culture. The day was great, transportation provided from outside the resort. GREAT EXCUSION. The drive to and from the airport is very scenic - make sure you have cameras ready. This was a great vacation and I would certainly recommend the hotel and the tours to everyone. Wonderful vacation with old and new friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 4 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Otel, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic