This hotel is great. The weather did not cooperate but that happens. We stayed at the El Portillo from Jan 26 to Feb 2. This hotel is beautiful and kept extremely clean.
I want to start by saying that our Air Canada vacations rep Guy was great. I loved his idea to do the briefing on the bus during our 45 minute drive from the airport to the resort. What a great use of time. Also a huge thank you to Augustin at the pool bar. He was always friendly and learned everyone's drinks so they were there by the time you got to the bar.
Ana in the buffet is 7 months pregnant and she continues to work 12 hour days. What a great smile and alway happy to serve. The food was great. The buffet had a huge variety. The Seafood restaurant was not that great but the Italian and the gourmet were great.
The beach is beautiful and safe. We were able to walk for a long time both ways without being hassled by locals. The snokelling right off the resort beach was great when it was clear. Don't spend your money on a snokelling trip. you can see everything right at the resort. Eels, lionfish, coral etc.
We are divers an dove off Bacardi island. The diving was ok. Not the best that we have done. The water in Samana bay was not very clear but that could have been due to the weather. The 3rd dive we did off the resort was ok. We saw eels, stingrays and many more sea life. If you have dove in pristine conditions you probably won't enjoy it as much but I always say a day underwater is better than a day in the office.
We also were sitting on the beach when out of nowhere we saw two whales breech right out in front of the resort. It was spectaular.
Overall a great resort, great people and enought to do if you choose to. We travelled with our two sons 18 and 14 and they had enough to do. This is our 9th trip to the Domincan Republic and love the country. We would definitely return to this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 4 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Odigeo, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Orbitz and Otel so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic